Just came to say hello :)

Hi everyone!

I found this forum after doing extensive searching on what hearing aids I wanted to get. I ended up settling for the KS 9.0’s because that was in my budget. I’m getting fitted with them on the 15th of January and I’m super excited to finally hear again!

A little background - I was first diagnosed with a hearing loss at the age of 9 when one of my teachers recognized that I was having issues following along with lessons in class. She noticed she would have to constantly repeat herself if I didn’t understand, but eventually I did get it. During a parent / teacher interview, she gave my father a business card for an audiologist that was recommended by the school board and away we went, everyone including my parents had their hearing tested because we were naive and had no idea that such testing existed in the first place.

At the time, I was told I mad a mild to moderate sensorineural reverse slope hearing loss, so I would definitely benefit from hearing aids. I ended up with a pair of Phonak analog hearing aids, and it blew my mind how I was able to hear sounds I never knew existed.

Fast forward to today, and almost everyone I know is fascinated by hearing aid technology, not to mention any of the FM systems I’ve used when I was in college / elementary / high school. It was definitely an eye opener for many.

One thing I’ve learned is that many people are curious. They want to ask questions but are afraid they’re going to offend. I’m always happy to share!

As of now, I have a moderate, to moderately severe sensorineural reverse slope hearing loss, but I’m hoping with new hearing aids that I’ll be able to hear and do better in most if not every situation I find myself in.

Anyway, I’m really glad to have found this forum and hope to engage in meaningful conversation with everyone here! I’ve also added my audiogram to my profile, but I’m still learning how this forum works!

Ciao!

9 Likes

I can declare the difference between age-old analog hearing aids and today’s digital with all the Bluetooth features and remote cell phone and accessory connectivity and control, is as different as between NO hearing aids and what is now available. “They don’t make 'em like they used to”… Thank God.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! :smiley: I enjoy reading, learning and discussing here a lot.

1 Like

If you’re used to the FM systems, I’m guessing you know that Roger is compatible with the KS9. It’s definitely pricey though and Costco won’t help you with it. For one on one conversations, the PartnerMic is very nice.

2 Likes

@darthvagrant - I completely agree with you. I’m just glad that the majority of dispensers in my area use REM, they’ve made it their life’s calling to make sure I’m aware of what they’re doing. :slight_smile:

@Acrover - Thank you for the welcome! I’m in the same boat, and am learning so much that I’m too scared to ask my audi in fear of them wondering why I’m asking.

@MDB - That is the main reason why I went with the KS9’s over the other hearing aid options. Honestly I’ve never had a “premium” level device that I could afford. I’m still reading up on the discussion of Phonak’s naming convention for “licenses” or “receivers” re: Roger Direct.

Seems I still have plenty to learn, but I’m reading through topics to make sure I have it correct. Don’t want to throw money at something and regret making the wrong purchases. I am after the Roger Select, but it seems I’m going to want to source a Roger Select iN from the looks of it. My only concern is finding a legitimate seller. I will take your word for the PartnerMic though. I’m just a little confused with which PartnerMic I should be looking at. I see them being named the PartnerMic Marvel on some sites, but I’m still not 100% sure about that.

The Roger Select iN is certainly the nicer device and would be the way to go if you want to use it at a table with a group. As mentioned earlier, they are pricy. I think the best price I’ve seen is about $1100 in US dollars and $1500-$1800 is not unheard of. I bought a Phonak PartnerMic (I checked my user’s manual) for less than $200 US online from a place in Canada. It’s great for one on one, but if group conversations are anticipated, the Select is superior.

My experience is that some are interested and do ask questions, which I try to explain as best I can. Still I’m not sure many fully understand the complexities of hearing loss. They think they’re all the same. Others see my loss as an inconvenience to them. Screw them. They’re not worth my time. But there is some joy knowing my handicap can make their head explode from frustration

1 Like

Screw the people who see our hearing losses as an inconvenience. I’ll be a broken record for anyone including you any day. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It is pretty darned inconvenient from this side of the hearing aid as well…

Welcome JJTheJetPln, hopefully you will find some answers here and ultimately these will help you on your journey… I bought the Roger Pen (old type) 2nd hand, it worked for a while after purchasing a receiver and then went on the blink, the Ni is for the moment slightly just beyond my budget, perhaps in the future… Good luck and enjoy the site. Cheers Kev.

1 Like

__ Photos of portable loops in use at businesses and at home.pdf (4.8 MB) Greetings! Roger equipment is great, but as you say, pricey. This forum knows that I am a proponent of a personal hearing loop “kit” that at around $300 can do much the same, if not more, to improve hearing access in all sorts of settings, as well as on the computer with no “drops” or battery drain. I do hope in any case that your new aids have an activated telecoil so that you can hear in all the increasing number of looped spaces around the US. It’s even more important with all the Plexiglas barriers around!

Unfortunately, in Canada they barely make use of looped facilities. When I went to the provincial courthouse, I was surprised to see that instead of them making use of a looped facility, they instead invested in wearable amplifiers.

I feel as though it’s a forgotten technology here.

I doubt this.

Maybe for quiet environments. But still, your ‘personal loops’ need a power source, no? So, it is not portable solution that you as a HA wearer can bring along with you wherever. Not to mention the size, judging by the pics.

Also, loops they don’t have built in noise filtering, nor microphone automatically focusing on the current speaker, right?

And loops in aids will catch all environmental buzzing as well the moment you turn the program on.

I believe loops are great tech, and suitable for some situations, but I wouldn’t call them equal let alone better of roger select.

Hi – that’s the problem with comparatives – sorry, I should really have emphasized that I was trying to address versatility and cost. But to your questions: 1) Yes, these loops need a power source – either plugged in to the wall or they run for about 6 hours on their charged battery. 2) They are smaller than most purses (8"x8"x2") and weigh less than a pound. Several friends have just used a small tote to take them “on the road” with them – perhaps more familiar strategy for women! 3) It has a built-in microphone, which I would describe as omni-directional. And it has a manual selection switch to turn it or an auxiliary, plugged in, mic on our off, as well as volume control. (

See the attached photo. I add some labels to the loops we lend out for people to test in case their vision is low.) 4) We have also “daisy-chained” 3 mics together to cover a very large room for a very socially-distanced board meeting, some folks as far as 30 feet away from the listener. We practiced good turn taking rather than the mic or person selecting the speaker of the moment. 5) We are looking into overhead “selection” mic systems for our board room, but, again, they are pricey! $5-6K from what I have found. 6) Buzz in people’s telecoils could be a problem depending on a particular location, but we have found that even in electric cars there doesn’t seem to be EMI interference. I would welcome a lot more feedback from folks about this! 7) I don’t know the answer about “noise filtering” other than the range of the built in mic is about 3-4 feet, so ambient background sounds have been a relatively minimal problem reported. [I will ask the company.]
The other aspects of versatility that we like about these is 1) being able to share if more than 1 person uses t-coil; 2) using with computer sound since it is instant and clear; 3) a son keeping a cable plugged into his TV to then plug into his Dad’s loop when he comes over to watch a ballgame, functionally “looping” his own living room for $10. 4) They are a fantastic demonstration and training tool to show anybody how loops work (e.g. non-hearing aid users, store owners, etc.) and for new t-coil users to practice switching their programs.
And I am waiting for a report from the family of a 10-year old boy who is profoundly HOH to whom I lent one of these over the holidays… I told them that I thought it unlikely that he could break it, but I wouldn’t care. I wanted to see what an active kid would use this for!!
Thanks for the questions! Very helpful.

I have buzz in my bedroom and living room (including in the dark, so some cables must be running around me somewhere), the moment I turn the feature on in the aids.
So, yeah, it definitely depends a lot on the environment. I hear that florescent lights in offices are disturbing, but I haven’t tested that yet.

Noise doesn’t stop coming in at 3-4 feet distance if the noise is present. Eg like in the restaurants.

Less than a pound and a size of it, I wouldn’t carry it around to for example doctors and other places where I might be sitting or even not - select works fine when you hold it in the hand. And I hate women bags over hand/shoulder anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

That doesn’t mean it’s not portable if you want to carry it around, I’m just judging from my own perspective and convenience and comparing to the solution I do have (and yes, it’s insanely pricey).

Having own battery sounds good though.
Sharing sound between users is easier with the loop assuming all aid wearers have tcoil option.

About mic and omni - roger select focuses on currently speaking person in one more attempt to filter noise out. Automatically. I was referring to that earlier, in case you’re not familiar with the select.

I do agree with you that loop system should be more promoted, and that it definitely has its place and from what you’ve shared now, it could be dragged around if you want that.
I’d just be more honest in comparison, and say how things really are.

Until I try both in the same environment, I can’t say which one work better for me, so I can judge only by tech specs.
But I am sure that for people who need mics, and can’t afford select, this solution might bring more than aids alone can, even if it doesn’t bring all bells and whistles of the roger mics, any help when struggling to understand someone helps, not to mention that in more calm environments we might even be talking about relaxed listening.

So yeah, preach about this solution, definitely :smiley: I’m glad I know it exists thanks to you!
And it definitely has an advantage of actually being EC powered - because if you need it for static solution - you just plug it in and not worry about recharging.

So who knows, maybe I buy that one day as well, if my needs bring me to it.
After I discovered there’s bunch of gadgets that might help, I’m really keen on using them, not avoiding - every bit of help for understanding someone is appreciated.