Jabra Enhance v KS10?

Thanks a bunch for your review! I appreciate your note re: iPhone. I am among the iPhone users who swapped KS10s for Jabras. While I liked the “sound” of the KS10s, made-for-iPhone connectivity is phenomenal – so much so that I spent extra $ for the Jabras. The delay in connecting to the app is a few seconds – and virtually zero if you make use iPhone’s “Settings” to make adjustments.
I found the KS10 connection with the Phonak TV connector very marginal at best, while with the Jabras & Resound’s TV connector I can be in a different room & the connection doesn’t drop. And when I get out of range & it does drop, it immediately reconnects when I’m back in range.

Being able to multi-task while watching TV is a must for me, and using KS10/Phonak TV Connector was intolerable. Anybody need a Phonak TV Connector???

2 Likes

Very interesting, @HOHKate. I don’t use a TV connector, so have no idea how well it would work with my Android phone. But regardless, it’s great that you found a setup that works well for you.

I’ve always been an Android guy, but can certainly recognize what Apple does right. It would be great if everything worked equally well on both platforms!

1 Like

I tested the Jabra Enhance for 2 months and have swapped to the KS10 for the following reasons:

I moved from NHS aids (Oticon Spirity Synergy) to private with a view to simplifying my workflow around hearing devices. I used wireless earbuds for calls and managing tinnitus through white noise etc and I wanted something that would give me a more natural hearing experience plus mean that I didn’t rely on any other devices during the day.

Bluetooth connectivity

• Range from my iPad Pro was poor, even with optimise connection for MFI switched on.
  • Connection to my Android phone (S10+) was very poor (poor range, crackly calls, doesn’t tolerate obstructions)
  • I hated having to disable bluetooth on one device in order to use it on the other.
  • I should have done the research going in so it’s on me but not being able to use the aids for hands-free calls was more of an obstacle than i thought it would be.
  • In ideal conditions, quality was “fine” but it seemed flat and a distraction rather than something I could enjoy.

Buttons

• I couldn’t get used to having a single button per aid - I get the short press, long press interaction but having 4 buttons plus the tap functionality seems much better. I like that the interactions are also context sensitive.

General Hearing

• In general I felt like the overall hearing profile wasn’t much of an improvement over my NHS aids. It seemed like every sound was hitting me at once and high frequency sounds were quite grating and difficult to deal with. When I used the noise filters or speech focus modes in the app it felt like I was losing too much other detail and ultra focus was unusable for me - I never found a situation that made sense. I realise that working with my audiologist might have helped with this but the connectivity and interactivity issues were enough of a deal killer that I chose to swap out my aids rather than go down that road. For what it’s worth, the autosense program on the KS10s is what I hoped the Jabra’s would sound like.

I’m going to miss the TV tuner on the Jabra as it was fantastic but the KS10s have improved on every other issue I had. I now need to find either a bluetooth streamer or look at the tv connector for my new aids.

Your mileage may vary - the KS10s aren’t perfect, but I feel more willing to work with the audiologist on tweaking the settings to get them closer now that I know they work in the way I want them to in other areas.

2 Likes

I would like to see that comparison as well. I currently own the KS10 hearing aids and inspite of the recent updates the App will not hold a program for very long keeps going to Bluetooth and mic streaming. I have an iPhone. Really frustrating.

I was told that due to my Audiogram pattern I cannot use the M-ire receiver as it will cause feed back issues, but could use the Jabra enhance Pro aids with the other receivers.

1 Like

Please share your audiogram! I have MRIE receivers with tulip domes and have no feedback issues. I don’t know if the MRIE feature is a constant (I can’t tell in terms of how I’m hearing) or if it’s only active in ultra-focus mode (which isn’t programmed for me – at least not yet.)
As I said above, I am among the iPhone users who swapped KS10s for Jabras. While I liked the “sound” of the KS10s better, made-for-iPhone connectivity is phenomenal – so much so that I spent extra $ for the Jabras. Adjusting to the “sharper” Resound/Jabra sound was no big deal for me.
-kate.

2 Likes

M&RIE is active in All Around with All Access Directionality in quiet settings. It switches away in noisier environments, so the in-ear mics are not active.

It’s always active if you have a program set with M&RIE directionality. The Outdoor program defaults to M&RIE directionality.

2 Likes

Thanks for that, @jay_man2!
Is there any way to display in the app if I have “All Access Directionality” or “M&RIE Directionality” in any programs? I’m guessing the fitter accepted the defaults in all the default programs (All Around, Restaurant, Outdoor & Music) – it was a very quick appointment.
Just now, I switched to Outdoor and was easily able to hear a fan continuously. When I switched back to All Around, I heard it for a few seconds & then it was quieted (I’m in an otherwise quiet setting). Based on that experience just now, I think I’ve confirmed the default settings. Sound right to you?
Thanks again!
-kate.

1 Like

Sounds right to me. You have All Access in All Around, Autoscope in Restaurant, M&RIE in Outdoor, and Omnidirectional in Music.

3 Likes

I’ve been wearing a Jabra Enhance Pro with M&RIE for about a month. I only wear one as the other ear is deaf from surgery. I rarely stream things. My initial experience was tinny sound and painful highs on the All Around program. A change in one setting made a huge difference. The Directionality was changed from Omni to M&RIE. My sound is now extremely natural. My fit is Nal-NL2, First Time User, 100%. One advantage of theJabra’s over the KS10’s is that for $150 you can buy a NoahLink Wireless, download the SmartFit software and make whatever adjustments you want to customize your experience. (See below-The KS10’s have the same ability with Target)By reading the DIY section and taking the free courses at Audiology Online you quickly learn how to make the tweaks,

2 Likes

You can of course do this with the KS10’S as well (using Target)

3 Likes

I did not know that. Thanks.

You cannot tell in the ios app how it is set. You need the Smart fit program and a noahlink device, or ask the fitter. It does not change - you set one or the other.

As to the two - created two programs for myself identical except one is all around an the other m&rie directionality. I really could not tell much difference and the latter has te wind guard whereas he former does not so m&rie was th winner for me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have the P90 and an iPhone. I share your distaste for having to hold the phone and speak into it. With my aids and phone that is not an issue. I have my P90 set up to answer automatically in 3 seconds. If my phone is within range (pocket, another room, etc) the phone is answered and I start the conversation (do not need to hold the phone). I do not use my phone very much. What was driving me nuts is because of that, I don’t have my iPhone within reach most of the time (I don’t live for my phone and bantering with others. It is rare to see someone these days that do not have a phone in their hand and up to their mouth whether they are driving, eating, etc. Also, most of the time, I don’t even know where it is located. If I had to answer the phone, the caller will have hung up before I could find and answer the phone. Bottom line: do yourself a favor and get a setup similar to mine since you do not seem to be married to your phone.

1 Like

See one of my later posts, where I indicate that I returned the Jabra, and went with the KS10 (which I think is a Phonak-based aid). I don’t have mine set for auto-answer, but can just tap the volume up button on the aid to answer a call. Much nicer to be able to just speak without holding the phone.

So for me, it wasn’t so much that I disliked having the phone with me, or on me, most of the time, as much as it was having to talk into the phone which was inconvenient.

But it sounds like we now both have a setup that meets our needs!

1 Like

@BeachBum and @DLCPhoto, when you’re on a phone conversation in a noisy place, how does your voice sound to the person on the other end? Back in 2018 I had trial Phonak aids with hands-free calling, and it was fine until I tried calling from a Manhattan side street. Then the person at the other end of the call couldn’t hear me, only the noise around me. I just got a trial pair of Whisper aids that can stream phone calls (not media, yet). And since they’re not made-for-iPhone, they must pick up the voice with the earpiece mics, like Phonak does, not the phone mic.

Yes, if it’s really noisy around me, there is more noise on the other end, but I wouldn’t say they can’t hear me. It’s just distracting to them. But if you’re mostly in that kind of environment, then perhaps a different solution, using the phone’s mic, might be advantageous. I’m not, so it works pretty well for me.

1 Like

@x475aws The only complaint I have had is when I am chewing anything. They can hear it as “something”, especially pretzels :wink:

2 Likes

Is it possible to setup the Jabras to use the M&RIE mic for phone calls?
I find it truly annoying to hold my phone up to use the phone mic when it seems obvious that the HA mic would work as well or better.
If that’s not possible, can they be setup NOT to pick up calls. I’d much rather let me car’s audio handle mic & speaker for phone calls, or use speaker phone when not in the car.

The ReSound One aids are getting a firmware update in December that will support hands-free phone calls.

I’d suspect that the Jabra aids will get that update at some point.

You can disable phone call audio routing to your aids. In an iPhone it’s under Settings, Accessibility, Hearing Devices, Audio Routing.

I use the M&RIE Mic when I talk on the phone. It’s great! The retention wire ball gets in the way but it’s nice to do something like I used to.

Of course, now that i think about it, I’m usually taking calls when only the M&RIE is activated (when it’s quiet). The M&RIE tends to be activated, ost of the time, unless I’m in a store. Hmmmm, now I’m curious. Might have to go to the store and see how it works.