Jabra Enhance v KS10?

So since I started this ? about Costco Jabra and whether the fitting software allows for Frequency Lowering here is what I believe to be the status (as well as other info which I already knew from other threads here, reading white papers from the various mfg, and/or articles on audiologyonline). The Costco Jabra most likely has frequency lowering however per @MDB post below Costco locks Resound and therefore presumably Jabra and therefore it seems likely that only someone with access to Costco software for Jabra fitting could go DIY. {Above was edited to incorporate info from post below from @MDB and @Raudrive.

All of the major HA Mfg offer their own version of frequency lowering; for some e.g. Phonak their strategy is in the 2nd version of that strategy. While the full blown HA of all of these MFGs offer frequency lowering in the fitting app AND for some MFGs the Costco HA option from that MFG also offers frequency lowering (although sometimes named something different, but still working in the identical manner) for some MFGs e.g GNHearing with Resound versus Jabra that the Costco HA “cousin” HA is dumbed down and does NOT offer frequency lowering.

If indeed this turns out to be accurate, then at least for some forum members for whom frequency lowering might be a good adjunct to the standard fitting approach then this becomes a major and perhaps deal breaker difference in considering KS10 versus Jabra Pro both via Costco.

From what I have read, frequency lowering is much more of an art form for a fitter than standard fitting approaches based on amplification; the criteria of who might benefit from frequency lowering does not have definitive guidelines, but does seem to have some guidelines of who would NOT benefit; that the limited research is quite inconclusive some research showing some benefit, other reserarch not showing benefit thus lots of individual differences; anecdotal comments from some members here indicate that some have received great benefit; that any frequency lowering strategy always introduces some “distortion” into the HA output and therefore the approach is not a free lunch and has trade off AND also and this is based on two research papers that the less aggressive settings regardless of the freq lowering strategy always introduce less distortion than the more aggressive settings and so the fitting recommendation is use the lowest freq lowering settings that provide some improvement.

In my own reading on the subject I found this long professional article to be a very good explanation and overview of frequency lowering ( 20Q: Frequency Lowering Ten Years Later - New Technology Innovations Joshua M. Alexander 20Q with Gus Mueller Hearing Aids - Adults Hearing Aids - Children VA Selections 18040 https://www.audiologyonline.com/articles/20q-frequency-lowering-ten-years-18040)). I will save any additional ?s I have about freq lowering for a different thread focused only on that topic as current thread is an HA comparison thread.

1 Like

mtjarrett, Make sure you have the M&RIC Receivers, with the M&RIC receivers, there are three mic’s two in the aid body and one in the receiver in your ear canal that is used to reduce or eliminate wind noise. The Jabra’s are fitted with both type of receivers depending on your hearing loss and what the fitter installs when you receive them. I specifically ask for the M&RIC, or they would have installed the regular receivers.

Since Costco Resound hearing aids are “locked” to Costco software, only somebodyb with Costco software could possibly give a definitive answer. If you’re not confident of the answer you’re getting from Costco fitter, I’d ask them to call their Resound rep for a definitive answer. I’d be very surprised if it weren’t included as it’s such a simple feature the way Resound does it. There are only 3 settings, so there is little opportunity for tweaking. I messaged you with some more info on frequency lowering. Edit: I’ve been informed that the Jabra are not locked to Costco software.

2 Likes

Reading in the DIY area it looks like one member did get into the Jabra aids with Smartfit software.

3 Likes

Interesting! I assume person is credible? On rare occasion I’ve seen people state stuff that nobody else could/would verify. Wonder if it’s just the new “Jabra” aids or all of Costco’s Resound?

@MDB I have been using Smart Fit this week to adjust my Costco Jabras. @garyh has been successful as well and helped me get started.

1 Like

@black118336 I do have the M@RIE receivers. And though you would think having mics in two locations would make wind blocking a cinch, it doesn’t seem to be the case. At least on these Jabras, there is no option for Wind Block in the All-Around setting. It is only an option for the Outdoor setting - which is annoying but I am currently trying (with only moderate success) to make an Outdoor setting that I can use all the time (I hate, hate, hate having to switch programs or even open my app to make adjustments).

I’m using M&RIE directionality in my daily All Around program instead of the default All Access directionality. It seems to reduce wind noise quite a bit. My All Around program with M&RIE also has the ability to adjust the wind noise reduction in the “Sound Enhancer” part of the app.

I also have an All Around program with All Access directionality as a program, but haven’t had occasion to use it much.

Are you familiar with frequency lowering? I think Resound calls it Sound Enhancer. edit: apparently Sound Shaper

Sound Shaper is the term ReSound uses.

1 Like

@MDB much thanks for post here and for PM (latter adds to my list of good resources on freq lowering). I will see if forum app still allows me to edit my earlier posts so as to avoid further confusion for others on my ?. And it seems like from @Raudrive wrote and while you indicate Costco Resound (and I therefore assume Jabra - cousin - HAs are locked that at least one person on DIY subforum was able to program on their own.

Why not go back to Costso and let your HA fitter make sure your aids are set up correctly. I have read several posts on this site where Jabra users say they are very pleased with the almost non existent wind noise with their Jabra’s.
Chuckokie

1 Like

Just the other “Costco” ReSound models are locked, I think this happened because these are “Jabra” and they don’t actually offer any audiologist services, so didn’t want them locked, it does seem that the manufacturers don’t actually support the locking mechanism anyway, it’s a Costco thing.

3 Likes

Might have something to do with remote programming?

Costco does not lock their HA. I have the philips and I’ve made multiple changes on them at home (philips hearlink software), am demoing the jabras now (going to switch to them, but that’s another story) and have added programs with resound smart fit 1.11. Not only that, but I told my HIS that I got a noahlink and she thought it was great. Had no problems with me doing whatever I wanted.

I can’t comment on the settings as I won’t be able to look at them in smart fit until Monday but really want to check a couple of things out then.

1 Like

My ReSound Prezas are, or at least were, locked to Costco’s version of the fitting software, as are the Fortes I wore before the Prezas.

2 Likes

OK - well then I can only confirm that the jabra and Philips are not locked as I could make changes to either. I downloaded the software from philips and resound respectively (although they don’t make it easy to find they say nothing about there being a charge for the software)

@jay_man2, someone put together a comparison chart a number of weeks ago that showed the terminology resound uses vs Jabra’s. Not sure if that was you? In any case I’ve searched for that in the forum and can’t find. Does anyone know what thread that is in?

I think it was an attachment if I remember

I don’t recall seeing it. Anything I’ve seen between the two uses the exact same terminology. The manuals for the ReSound One and Jabra Enhance are identical except for the name of the company and aids, as an example.

Since I was the one that side-tracked this comparison thread into all of this stuff about frequency lowering I can at least offer this exceprt from this long techinical and professional article that answers some about the names various MFGs use. (From 20Q: Frequency Lowering Ten Years Later - New Technology Innovations Joshua M. Alexander 20Q with Gus Mueller Hearing Aids - Adults Hearing Aids - Children VA Selections 18040). Hoepfully the image of the Table will show up here, otherwise use the link.

4. OK, I get it. So what really has changed since you and your colleagues published ‘The Whole Shebang’ 20Q article in 2013?

Widex and Phonak now have newer versions of their original frequency lowering algorithms and ReSound and Oticon now have frequency lowering features in their hearing aids. Table 1 summarizes the frequency lowering methods available by each of the Big Six manufacturers and their sister companies. The methods that are new since our 2013 series are shaded in gray. The biggest changes are Phonak SoundRecover2 and Oticon Speech Rescue.

Table 1. For each of the Big Six hearing aid corporations, the name of their frequency lowering feature and a brief description of the underlying method are provided. Footnotes indicate the feature names used by the other companies in the same parent company as the ones listed. The methods with a shaded background are the ones that are new since our last 20Q article series in 2013. Since our last article, Siemens has become Signia.

a Also offered by Unitron as “Frequency Compression” and by Hansaton as “Sound Restore”

b Also offered by Microtech as “Sound Compression”

c Also offered by Rexton as “Bandwidth Compression”

d Also offered by Beltone as “Sound Shifter” and by Interton as “Frequency Shifter”

e Similar to, but not the same as, what is offered by Bernafon as “Frequency Composition” and by Sonic as “Frequency Transfer"