Jabra Enhance v KS10?

@BearInStPete

Your mention of bluetooth interference is worth looking at. My son, his wife and daughter all have phones and fitbit watches. Plus earbuds…etc. So in a small living room that had at least 6 BT devices, plus my and my wifes iPhones, Apple watches etc… so I could see how signals might me a problem. Also interesting that I have had the HA’s in since 5:30 this morning, and no issues so far. Will see how the day goes.

Do you by chance have you Jabra’s paired with an iPhone and an iPad or iPod that you are in close proximity with? Certain apps don’t always do hand-off to other devices easily. So one point of experimentation for you might be to turn the BT off on the un-used device and see if the issues persist?

In theory BT devices are uniquely paired to a device, and if the paired devices, and software are all working correctly, life is good. But you can have rouge BT devices that may not be as well controlled. Generally Apple, and other big companies (including Jabra/GN Hearing) are well behaving together, but if you have another BT audio device paired with with your phone it may be causing an issue.

2 Likes

I have an ipad, but the BT is off on it (its not paired with anything) and have a Jabra headset for my phone, but is is turned off as I don’t need it now with the HA’s. The only BT I use is the Apple Watch, and the HA’s. And with company gone, still no issues today.

I’m startiing to warm up to them again :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just have the Quattro’s so a stab in the dark here. But in the Smart 3D app at the bottom on the right under MORE, have you tried during OFF (uncheck) “Auto-activate favorite locations” ? Maybe you’re indoors and poor GPS location is misinforming the app and its trying to switch amongst different settings for that reason if you’ve set up any geo-fenced location favorite sound settings.

The issue seemed to be Bluetooth interference. With company over the weekend there were 12 bluetooth devices going in a small living room. It was messing up every hour or so. Company left last night, not one problem today. Has worked fine since 5:30 AM today. I am pleased that was the issue, as it will be a rare occurance, and I can find a way to work around it. When I’m in that situation I’ll just turn the BT off, and the HA’s should be fine.

3 Likes

Sounds like turning off BT altogether when you have a lot of company might conquer the problem. Another fine-tuning option might be to look in Settings, Accessibility, Hearing Devices, Audio Routing, and change either or both the Call Audio or Media Audio routing settings there when a lot of BT-bearing company is present.

Perhaps what’s going on with all the BT in the air is that the HA’s and/or your iPhone are getting confused and think that streaming between your iPhone and HA’s should be going on. What ReSound does when streaming is active is that it lowers the external microphone input some decibels the better to hear streamed input. If this is what’s going on, when the volume seems to go out on you, when you open the Smart 3D app, you should see a big Streaming Focus button in the left center of the screen and a Hear All button on the right center for whatever program you’re in (in the All-Around program, the Streaming Focus and Hear All replace the Noise Filter and Speech Clarity buttons that are presented when not streaming, for example). If you should happen to have entered streaming mode somehow, if you then tap the Hear All button appearing on the right, the normal volume of your external mic input will be restored and you should be able to hear voices in the room clearly.

I encounter something like your volume problem regularly with iPhone apps that are going to stream timer alarms or charging alarms, etc., as media to my HA’s. When I start the timer app or the charging level monitor app, it starts streaming media (actually nothing initially but a channel opened up to route the alarm whenever it should go off). The result is the volume of room sounds immediately dims because of the preference given streamed channels. I usually never pay attention or notice until the wife tries to say something to me and then I can’t hear her so good (sic).

1 Like

Not sure if you can turn Bluetooth off on your hearing aids.
Have you checked that out?

As far as I know there is no way to turn the BT off on he HA’s. My thinking is if I turn BT off on the phone, the BT on the HA’s will not be communicating with anything. Therefore signals from other devices will just be ignored as it’s not connected or “listening” for input.

I may be wrong, but like I said that kind of situation is rare. My son and his wife or both IT professionals and are loaded with tech, and constantly doing things with it. The grandaughter is only 13, but much the same :slight_smile: I only see them twice a year. With 12 communicating BT devices in a 14x16 living room its not surprising there could be issues. Second day (since they left) and no issues at all with the Jabras. After 48+ problem free hours it is now a non-issue for me.

3 Likes

I’m scheduled for an appointment at Costco on July 28 to start the process to get custom molds. I imagine it will be late August before I have any update on the custom molds and M&RIE receivers versus the MP receivers and closed domes I have now.

More to come.

1 Like

Not sure about the OP’s aids, but with the Phonak Paradise you can put them into airplane mode which turns off the Bluetooth.

Jim

3 Likes

For Jabra aids it’s called Flight Mode, and turning that mode on and off is described starting on page 35 of the manual.

3 Likes

I will check that out today. Thank you all for the good info. “Flight mode” would make it very easy to do.

As mentioned earlier with tulip domes; just rotate the dome on the receiver a quarter turn. I do this regularly with my Widex tulip domes when they sound too occluded.

1 Like

I have some nerve damage the causes a static like sound in my ears under certain conditions. I bought the Jabra and settled on the tulip dooms. Tried the standard domes and loved the feel but they were not closed enough to mitigate that static sound. Tulips are almost as comfortable. I have tried power domes but they give you that plugged up feeling although in the past with my Resound Fortes, I have taken power domes and cut a few slits in them which made them collapse in my ears a little and improve comfort. I have not tried that with these “yet”.
Follow up fitting next week. I also bought the premium charger that holds several charges. What happens if you loose power for a day or so. No way to charge them.

1 Like

You can also buy battery packs on Amazon with a high-capacity relatively cheaply. Don’t know whether the standard charger accepts USB input but if it does, a battery pack, which is probably a lot cheaper on Amazon than a charger from ReSound, might be used to drive the standard charger. The battery pack that I got on Amazon will charge my Quattro charger. The Quattro charger capacity is 2,200 mAh at 3.7 v. My battery pack is 25,000 mAh, enough fully charged to charge my HA’s for ~10 weeks, but I only store the battery pack at ~50% charged (will charge it to 100% if I get notice of an impending disaster like 9 deg F cold front moving south into Texas or hurricane coming out of the Gulf).

1 Like

The new Jabra chargers are usb-a to plug into a power brick, and usb-c to plug into the charger. I’m sure whatever power brick you get you can get a cable with usb-c on one end and whatever’s needed to plug into the brick on the other.

1 Like

I tried both the KS10s and Jabras Costco and the KS10s were quite harsh to me and when we lowered the amplification to clean them up, they lost a lot of their highs. I am currently wearing the Jabra Enhance with the M&RIE and the sound is quite good.

I am interested in outside input as to whether the fitter at Costco was correct that the KS10 amplification of high tones drops significantly vs the Jabras. I was watching him work with the software, and it appeared that was the issue, but I am not familiar with all of the software used.

As for streaming, since my loss is significant only over 1k, so the Jabras do not amplify the bass and hence the streaming is quite poor and voice are terrible. A workaround I am trying is using a cheap pair of bluetooth wireless ear buds. The sound is much better and I still have the ability to hear anything outside via the external mics.

My last aids were the KS6.0 as the KS7.0 could not compensate for my hearing loss per the person at Costco, so I went from ReSound to ReSound.

One annoying thing I am finding with any streaming is the fact that the aids go out of sync, causing sound to come in both ears at a different time, then they go back in sync and the sound is centered. I also noticed a phantom changing program issue, it seems that every time there is a notification on my phone the aids switch to streaming and back to all around quickly.

2 Likes

Don’t know about Jabra fitting software but the regular ReSound Smart Fit software there is an option for bass boost in streaming - so maybe your fitter can crank that setting up if the Jabras have that option, too. If you are willing to wear molds with less venting than for an open fit, a more closed fit can trap bass from streaming within the ear canal, as much as 30 to 40 dB more than with a really open fit, if I remember correctly what I’ve read quite a while back on the forum.

Just a strange aside here. As a ReSound wearer using a closed fit, I don’t notice a tinny sound myself. The bass seems adequate. But one thing that I’ve wondered about, since I tend to suffer from wax buildup and need periodic professional cleaning is whether with the wax build up, I’m taking out the highs more than the lows and to compensate overall for wax build up, I crank up the overall HA volume. The wax prevents too much high frequency (it’s absorbed more readily than low frequency sound) and I coincidentally think I’m getting enough bass!

2 Likes

I’m also trialing the Jabra’s, and this is my biggest complaint. I have been in touch with Jabra’s Tech Support about this, and they were supposed to submit a ticket to Tier 2 Tech Support, but I am not hopeful for a solution.

I have seen others report this same thing as well. I suspect it is something that might eventually be fixed with a firmware update, but I am not willing to buy until that actually happens.

And the bass in streaming is completely absent, even after the fitter bumped up the streaming bass all the way yesterday.

If these can’t be used effectively for streaming, which in the current state is the case, I’ll have to return them, and see if the KS10’s perform better (which they should, based on reports from others).

1 Like

Are yours configured similar to mine with the Tulip domes or do you have a different setup? You appear to have similar hearing to me below 1k. I am also an android user, so I don’t benefit from MFI.