Jabra Enhance Pro RIE or M&RIE?

Tony,what is a Noahlink?

It’s the device that communicates from a computer to your aids. It’s only about the size of a pack of cigarettes. You plug a cable from the Noahlink into a computer and the Noahlink allows you to wirelessly transmit from the computer Smartfit software directly to your aids, just like they do at Costco.

The Resound SmartFit software is what you will need to program your Jabra’s. When you 1st connect to SmartFit the software will find and identify your aids as Jabra’s and the software and adjustments are exactly the same as the Resound One.

I am still having a problem hearing speech over noise,at the gym and on the tread mill I can only hear the person next to me,the one next to her,I could not hear! hearing the stove timer over at my son’s house the other day,I could not hear the timer when it went off,I could here it,but not where it was coming from,

If you search the forum, a lot of people like to use a TV streamer. It takes the sound from your TV and sends it directly to your HA’s, making the sound cleaner and cutting out any reverberations you might be getting from around the room. You can also adjust the volume coming to your HA’s separately from the volume any room speakers associated with the TV might be putting out and use the bass/treble adjustments with your HA’s to improve your understanding (“speech clarity” often involves turning down the bass a bit and turning up the midtones and treble). Our digital audio output from our TV
goes to a powered TOSLINK splitter with one splitter output going to our amplifier and speaker system, the other to my TV streamer and I listen to both at the same time with the speaker volume lowered relative to my HA volume via external mic settings. It really helps me understand spoken dialog better. Sometimes at a place like a gym or grocery store with a lot of people and a lot of noise coming from all around, including overhead Muzik, it might help to switch to a program that gives you more forward focus on what you want to hear rather than try to deal with too much noise at once. Don’t know about your age, but older folks have a harder time in the CNS focusing in and selecting a voice out of a crowd, especially with a din of background noise. So, sometimes it helps to use hearing aid settings like Ultrafocus or a Restaurant program with forward focus. I’m trying to make my comments brand agnostic. ReSound, though, recommends not using the strongest noise suppression settings if you’re trying to understand speech - only going as high as “Considerable” in the Smart 3D app.

Thanks Jim for this information,do I get the T.V. streamer from Costco or at a store like Best Buy? what is CNS? and what is the bass/treble ajustments mean?

My guess based on context is CNS means central nervous system.

WH

1 Like

The TV Streamer can be ordered at the Costco hearing aid center. It was $259.99 when I bought mine in 2019.

1 Like

Thank you jay,kinda of $$ but might be worth it,is it easy to hook up?

Maybe it does mean that,thanks, sounds about right,

The videos here will show you what it takes. I found it very easy.

Do you know if your husband’s hearing loss is conductive or nerve loss? that is, does he have a functioning auditory nerve? My loss is entirely conductive; my cochlear nerve is perfectly fine. I have a Bone Assisted hearing Aid. It transmits sound through my mastoid bone directly to the cochlear nerve. since my hearing loss is conductive, this system, bypases the middle ear, where the loss is located.; My severe middle and high frequency loss in the right ear tests near normal now. My experience agrees with this.

None of my BTE aids have been able to restore that high frequency loss anywhere near as well as the Osia BAHA that I have. Perhaps this is worth pursuing. Ask your ENT if your loss is conducive. If so, this may be an option.

Since you only have a flip phone, you may want to look into getting the Resound Remote 2 accessory device. Then you can choose programs, noise filters, the eq, speech clarity, balance, etc as well as more easily use something like the TV Streamer.
And the Resound accessories work perfect, you don’t need a Jabra branded accessory. Just make sure the Streamer and Remote are new versions, which are, Resound TV Streamer 2, or Resound Remote 2. Both will cost less than half of retail on ebay or even Amazon and will work with the Jabra Enhance Pro aids.
And for me, the Restaurant program works best in noisey situations…

2 Likes

Thank you for this information,I have appointment coming up soon,I will talk with her about this,I will also try the restaurant mode at the gym,

As jay_man2’s post indicates, the Streamer 2 itself is pretty easy to hook up and pair with your HA’s. What gets trickier is if you want to split the audio output from your TV. We have instructed our old TV to pass through the audio from HDMI input directly to its digital audio output, which used to go directly to our old Yamaha amplifier and speaker system. A powered TOSLINK splitter from Amazon allowed us to send the audio still to the amplifier and also to my streamer but there are all sorts of things about cabling and type of output from the TV that complicate things.

There’s a bunch of discussion on my own adventures from 2019 in the following thread: Does It Make Much Difference What Type of Audio Output Is Used for TV Streaming? - Analog vs. Coaxial vs. TOSLINK S/PDIF?.

I started knowing little about TOSLINK, etc., and still don’t know all that much, but, hey, it works GREAT!

Had my hearing test yesterday 6/10 at Costco and ended up ordering a pair of the Jabra RIE hearing aids. The test seemed fairly thorough and I walked around the store with a trial set for about 10 minutes. very comfortable and no extraneous noises detected. Will pick the up on Friday 6/17 and will update with my impressions after I wear them and get acclimated to them. In December 2018 I got a set of Phonak Audeo lowest level from an Audiologist for $5200. (Did not know anything about HAs at that time) Did not like them with all the loud extraneous noises even after fine tuning. I, for several reasons could not wear them like necessary to train my brain and ended up giving them to my son. So, here I am 3 1/2 years later and I think these Jabras seem more comfortable right away than the Phonaks. I am not considering the cost an issue as I get up to a $3000 dollar refund from my insurance. The two Jabras with the deluxe charger was $2000 so I could have gotten more expensive HAs, but don’t see where Costco has better HAs for my needs even at a higher price. I don’t even know if I could do better at an Audiologist.
Time will tell! I may have to order the accessory microphone to be able to talk on my Iphone through the HAs.
UPDATE:
No need for accessory microphone now. I posted about a new foirmware updaate that allows the Jabras to work hands free. Need Iphone 11 and up with Ios15. Works great!

Those Jabra’s will probably be even sharper in sound than your old aids. I returned mine, but only because I found the equivalent Resound One’s at half the cost of the Jabra’s and also that the Costco I went to wasn’t able to correctly program them for my loss.
I now self program and know the Jabra’s can be correctly adjusted because I am now really happy with my equivalent Resounds. Hopefully your Costco does a better job than mine, which most seem to do.
My in store trial of the Jabra’s was also great, but at pickup I wasn’t happy at all. It was like they were different aids.
If I remember correctly, in the Smartfit software used to program the aids, there is an automatic adjustment available that sets your initial gains at about 70% and slowly increases them over a given time frame. This way you slowly get used to the sounds that you haven’t been hearing for many years and don’t have to keep returning every week or two for an increase. If you start with fully prescribed gains and are new to aids, you will most likely be “blown away”, but not in a good sense.
Good luck and wishing you better success with these aids, they are really good once programed correctly

Thanks for the input. I am very happy with my Costco experience. My HAS has been doing this at the same store for 15 years. She seems very competent. I am surprised you found the retail Resound One’s at half the cost. My hearing problem is mostly hearing or understanding female voices especially on TV. Like i mentioned I will report more after I get my Jabras next Friday.
Thanks again:
WCW

1 Like

I found my Resound One’s 9 on Offerup from a family that said they were band new and their family member passed away before getting a chance to use them. So I got very lucky and even told them the value and they were fine with $900 and they even had receipt from the audi that they got them from.
I wasn’t happy with thr Jabra’s after REM and had been wearing aids for many years so knew I needed better adjustments, but after 3 visits I got frustrated and saw the Resound’s and jumped on them. I also have some Oticon S1’s that I also found on offerup for only $300, but like the Resounds much better.
Try posting your audiogram. It helps everyone. I would guess you have some decent high freq loss if they recommended the Jabra’s since Costco seems to feel they boost the higher freqs better than KS10’s, but each Costco is different.
It can take a new aid user a few months or more to fully adjust to all of the new sounds you will be hearing, that’s why I feel it’s important to start as a New User in the initial fitting and keep the gains decreased until you get accustomed to the aids.
Keep us posted and good luck.

I found a deal on Phonak Audeo Paradise P90 RIC Hearing Aids (Pair) with Charger - Champagne for $2999. All extras included. My insurance will pay me up to $3000. Just wondering if I should consider there Phonaks. I have heard these are excellent. I can’t find much in the way of reviews, but these have all and more features than the Jabra HAs. What did you not like about the Jabra HAs as opposed to the Resound One? I thought they were basically the same HAs.