It’s My CI Anniversary

A year ago today (7/23/20) I received my CI. I’m glad I got it. Happy to have the N7 and Kanso 2. Both fit the different in my lifestyle. Both are programmed identically (I always take them to my CI programming appointments). I’m lucky I still can hear out of my other ear with a hearing aid and I understand speech out of my implant alone, the tricky part is foreign accents depending on the accent of what country the person is from. When my sound processor is not on my head, I can tell because sounds become monotone, I mean hearing out of both ears, like the sound surrounds your head. I have no regrets. Hopefully, things have gone well for those of you that have had the procedure. It’s been an adventure!

2 Likes

Congratulations!!!

The CI is amazing compared to bad hearing with a hearing aid!

Your description of your CI ear to your hearing aid ear is so very informative. To me the CI is vastly better than before with aids. When a persons hearing gets bad enough, hearing aids and cochlear implants are a blessing!

Thanks for sharing @debbie_o.

3 Likes

Thank you. You’re right! Since I still can hear and understand with a hearing aid in my unimplanted ear, the aid is working for me. If I couldn’t understand as was your case where the aids weren’t helping anymore, heck yeah, your hearing is vastly improved and the way I would go with an implant in the other ear. I know you’re doing great now than you were before the first implant and very fortunate to now have your second CI. It’s life changing. I remember all your questions and the frustration you went through on your first eval. It’s a feeling of completeness. You’re no longer missing one of your senses.

Now, if there was such a thing for eyes. I’d sure like to have more vision back in the eye I lost most of the sight with due to diabetes. My retinal surgeon, who I still visit every 6 months even though I am stable says that a visual implant or something to improve damaged vision won’t happen in our lifetime. :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Congratulations and thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Curious, have you been word tested? Sentence tested?
Results?

1 Like

Debbie thank you for sharing your 12 month anniversary with us. And congratulations to you, it’s a huge journey of training your brain to understand the new way of hearing…And a huge decision you made over 12 months ago, to walk this route… Did you have a full assessment on your 1 yr anniversary? How did you go?

Your anniversary is my 2nd year of being activated.

1 Like

@Raudrive Yes, I have been word a d sentence tested, but she didn’t test at my last appointment, she wants to wait for my next appointment. I don’t think that is until September. That’s a month after my 1 year activation, but with COVID, etc. things became a little off schedule.

2 Likes

No, my last appointment was my 9 month appointment. 7/23 is my surgery anniversary, I was activated the third week of August, 2020. I haven’t had my 1 year assessment yet. That’s my next appointment and I think it is in September. Since I still can hear naturally with a hearing aid in my other ear, I don’t notice that much the difference in sound with my implant. Every now and then I get the hum of the appliances or a squelch type of background sound from the soond processor. I can hear when I just have the hearing aid, but when I take off my sound processor after wearing it all day, I can tell the difference in not having sound in both ears. It kind of reminds me of when my right ear would get occluded with wax and I couldn’t hear much out of my ear. When I put the processor on, it’s like someone turned the volume of the TV up. Sound around me gets louder. There is a definite difference of having the processor on or off.

3 Likes

Congrats on the anniversary.

Just out of curiosity, why do you user two different processors? Does the Kanso 2 work well?

2 Likes

Sorry for the delayed response. I mainly use the K2. The N7 is my back-up. The practice I went through is a 2 processor practice.

Have you ever tried to lay back and read a book or watch TV with your K2 on ypur head? It’s not very comfortable and the K2 keeps coming off the implant. That’s when I use my N7. Since I can hear normally with a hearing aid in my left ear, I sometimes run out of the house without my K2. I’ll notice something doesn’t sound right and realize I forgot my K2. I keep my N7 in my purse. No problem, I just pop my N7 on.

I originally had 2 N7’s, but since my operation occurred just after FDA approval, but the K2 wasn’t released, I was eligible to upgrade a processor to K2 when released. Cochlear allowed the upgrade for one processor, not both. I love the flexibility. I’m happy with both processors.

3 Likes