No, not the same.
Originally I had a huge problem with the aids. I’d had Phonaks for almost 20 years (from Army, then VA), and when due to get latest ones replaced, I asked about any that worked with iPhones, and VA audi suggested Resound. I first got the ITE Linx2 9, but, immediately had issues with the aids not being able to talk and sync with each other, tried a second pair, same thing. Audi called Resound support and…no kidding, they were on speakerphone…was told that “patient’s head was too dense or too much water, so attenuated the signal, and the smaller size and battery are issues, and I suggest you try RIC with larger battery”. So, we did. But the problem I had before (and frankly a lot) was things not sounding equal in both ears (and…with the aids, not my ears)–like, I would listen to someone talk and they were clear in right, sounded tinny in left–different variations of that sort of thing.
What I didn’t realize until later…was that most of the audis I got (and, not all were bad) just made more adjustments on top of previous ones, instead of bothering to start from scratch or reset things to initial fit. Also in this time period, I started having issues with the receivers blowing out in one ear or the other, or getting different receivers in each ear (MP in right HP in left, both aids however set for HP). I repeatedly asked for the aids to be reset and firmware updated (when I’d mention updating firmware…often got confused looks…).
Finally…I’d had enough…I made sure that each aid had the same receiver (HP, although I might be able to use the MP…on the edge, I think), that the firmware was latest and same in both (one was two versions older than the other). I have the current level version of Aventa VA uses, and current version of NoahLink Wireless VA uses, so…after doing a lot of reading and going to some courses…went DIY.
First thing I did was to backup my settings, then created a new profile to start fresh. I found that the anti-feedback wasn’t right (my guess is, had been checked long ago with initial moulds and not since, and for different receivers), so ran that, and that alone markedly improved things. I then got my last VA audiogram, put it in, and started making slow adjustments, annotating results, making multiple programs of All-Around with differing settings, so I could check–even sat in actual locations with my laptop making adjustments in a live setting (VERY effective).
But, when I went to the other programs, other than All-Around, the sound stage (not sure what else to call it), seems to move over mainly to my left ear–like the right ear is just assisting. I don’t have anything set differently between the ears for any programs (obviously, each built-in program has default settings different from All-Around, just not between L and R). Adjusting the gain of either aid independently (or the non-ganged volume of either aid with the Resound iPhone app) makes this apparent shift to the left to go away.
I will have three years with these aids this month, and have already been told that due to this issue they would send both aids in for repair/replacement (with same aid), but, I’m gonna see if VA will allow me to get newer ones (due to all the trouble with these, and the amount of money with all the blown receivers), and see if I can get the 3D or Quattro (not sure if those are in VA pipeline, yet). And, try to get a great audi, that will perform an REM and work with me on settings.
Just was wondering if anyone has an idea on what could be causing this issue.
Sorry for length–thanks, and hope I answered your questions adequately!