Is there such a thing as an independent Audiologist?

My clinic is independent and sells and fits all manufacturers. The software from one brand to another isn’t really that different. You can always find what you need just by clicking around a bit.

I don’t work on comission. I do regularly work with patients who have hearing aids that were not purchased at our clinic. At least in my area, outside of Costco and manufacturer clinics, most clinicians will work with outside hearing aids.

2 Likes

This is new to me, Neville. I have edited my original comment as a result. One of the good things about forums like this is that we all learn. Thank you for correcting me.

How does a user like me and the O.P. find an independent audiologist? I know 4 years ago when I was initially in need, I called over a dozen in my area (I have since moved, crossed state lines) and they were all as I initially described.

Well, that’s the harder thing. It may well be the case that no one in your area will touch hearing aids that weren’t purchased with them, which is a shame. Things might have changed in the last four years.

You could come up to Canada, but that’s probably not cost effective. :grinning:

:rofl: Ah ha! You are not in USA!

Things do vary across the border. I do wonder now, if we even HAVE independents here.

One big difference across borders: CostCo Canada accepts insurance. CostCo USA does not. That is a BIG deal!

Thank you again.

I have an update. Today, someone from UAB called to say that they needed to reschedule my appointment to December 4th. I told them that was OK. About a half an hour later, I get another call about scheduling. This time, they say I need to come in November 15th for a hearing test that will cost $120. I reply that I already have a recent test performed by the VA. She tells me that have to do their own test. I think OK, they will probably do a more comprehensive one, so I say OK. Then, she tells me I will need to see the ENT before I can be seen by the Audiologist, and this will be $200. So, I am thinking that I will be down $320 before I even lay eyes on an Audiologist, who may, or may not actually do anything that will help me. I don’t know yet what she charges. I told the lady that I needed to consider my options, and that I would call back after the first of the year if I changed my mind.
So, I am right back where I started. There is one Audiologist listed locally who does not specify a hearing aid brand in the listing. I think I will call and see what they say, but I am not expecting a positive outcome.

I’m familiar with them having to do their own tests. But requiring you to see THEIR ENT first? Good move to work on an alternate plan, IMO.

John Green - Back in '04 when I first got hearing aids - I had to see an ENT prior to an audiologist. I thought since then that the requirement had been dropped. I have since over the years purchased other HAs and seen audilogists and HIS and never have had to see an ENT. Someone on this forum, chime in - but jI don’t think you have to prior to seeing and being fit with HAs. Maybe the hearing test at their facility - not for sure, but in the past I have had a test as planning on getting new HAs.

It might vary by state, but I’ve had somebody program hearing aids based on an audiogram done by somebody else and I just signed a medical waiver. There might be some variability based on the audiogram. For example if somebody had very different losses between ears, it might warrant a referral to an ENT.

The ENT requirement seems odd to me.

Requiring their own audio seems normal though. I’ve been burned by trusting outside audiograms before.

My current audiologist didn’t sell me my ReSound Quattros, though the ENT clinic he works through sells them. I transferred my care over to him when my original audiologist said there was nothing else she could do to resolve the comfort issues I was having with mine. The new guy charges me only very modest fees and even told me that he’d be able to handle any warranty work I might have.

I’m surprised that this worked out. The audiologist works in a small city in northern Michigan with a lot of residents who live there only part of the year. I wonder if that’s a factor in my favor? “Snowbirds” might buy their hearing aids in Florida and then need care when they travel north. So, maybe you could try to find an office in sort of a resort place if you have one near you?

1 Like

interesting discussion I think. I’ve wondered about this a bit. As a new user I’ve had doubts about my audiolgist not doing real ear measuring, seemingly not using test boxes to verify, etc… very low tech from those aspects… so when my contract time is up I’ve wondered that at that time I might consider visiting someone else to continue service with these aids that I hope to have a long time… Not sure yet if I will, but something the consider… will I be able to find anyone to service them?

where are you located?

I did not buy my HAs from the audiologist I currently go to and she has absolutely no problem with that. She merely charges me by the hour.

1 Like

Some states require you see and ENT first before being fitted with hearing aids to be certain there aren’t other ear issues causing your hearing problems, in other words tumors, etc.

I don’t think Alabama is one of them. I have been fitted three times now, and never saw an ENT first. This was just UAB Hospital’s rule.

And they don’t work all the same. While many features amongst the different HA brands have different names but essentially do the same thing, frequency lowering is tackled in very different ways by the different manufacturers. My loss is very suitable for frequency lowering (steep slope at 3kHz), yet I did not get any useful setting with the techniques of two manufacturers, but the third one works wonders for me. So that is evidence enough for me… But I am aware this does not hold true for everyone.