Is there a limit on how many times you can connect to a Phonak Roger transmitter?

I’ve used a Phonak Roger Touchscreen since 2016.
I would like to buy a Phonak Roger Pen 1.1.
Can I connect my Roger 18 to either, as many times as I like?
I use the Touchscreen at work but I would like to use the Pen for personal use, no work.

There is no limit to the number of times you can connect the Roger 18. The only limitation is that the TS cannot be in the same MultiTalker Network as the Pen as it is a pediatric device.

3 Likes

Thank you! I was hoping you would pop on to answer my question. :smiley:

2 Likes

Not a Phonak person, but depending on how the memory is implemented in the chip will determine how many program/erase cycles the memory will allow. For instance, EEPROM technology might be 100,000 or more, while Flash memory is considerably less (possibly thousands only). It would be interesting to know the actual spec, rather than “unlimited”.

Oh I didn’t know this! Maybe @RogerPM can find out? :slight_smile:

Unfortunately I don’t have the details of the memory implementation of Roger 18, and even if I did I don’t think it would be wise of me to share that information on a public forum… But, considering that the connect feature is expected to survive daily use in e.g. schools were a WallPilot is used to connect the student’s receiver to the classroom network each time they enter the room, which could happen multiple times a day for years, it would make little sense to use a memory area that could only withstand 1000 write cycles. So my guess would be that we are talking about EEPROM memory. Most EEPROMs have a minimum write cycle spec of 100,000 cycles and often much more in practice. Wear leveling algorithms could increase the amount of writes even further.

If we do a conservative estimate with 100,000 write cycles, you should be able to connect the Roger 18 five times a day for 55 years. ((100,000/(365*5))=54.8). All things have an end, and so does the Roger 18, but the number of connections would not be on the top of my list of worries at the moment. :wink:

3 Likes

Thank you! I hadn’t done the maths but that’s good to know now. I agree that you do have to keep some things to yourself. Thanks for being part of this forum and passing on good information.

1 Like