Is resound comparable to starkey?

so are you saying that pharmiest that work at Costco, Wally, Krogers, etc are second rate because they don’t own a drug store?

Ha! Well you did ask one of those questions that can cause a bit of debate. It’s like going on a Chevvy forum and telling them you think the Mustang is better than the Camaro, or vice versa!

Just curious about this comment. What model did you get exactly that you consider ‘bulky?’ I thought the Starkey aids were pretty competitive in the size department, and have won numerous international design awards. Their Xino is the smallest in its class for example. So just curious what you tried (and sorry if you already posted this).

Hi, just go back from costco and tried on the resound futures. They were really nice but I wasn’t wowed. My audi said that due to achieving all the right frequencies I would need custom molds. I walked around and the heard many things, carts, kids, beeping ect. However, I talked to a few people and the speech clarity just wasn’t there, I wonder if the molds will help.

Before I make the leap, I made a appt with starkey for a second run. Maybe he will have one smaller than the wi this time. (ZCT it was the wi that was so bulky, you could see it above my ear.)

I did like the resound, it had a very natural sound which is a perk. They just didn’t blow me away. Maybe my expectations were just too high. I thought I would put these in my ears and step into a new world of hearing all thing and conversations. All the “things” were there, but what I really need is to hear my clients and partners since I’m going to be running my second biz in March. Personally, I didn’t realise there were so many screaming kids and wobbley wheels in costco. I guess lack of hearing has its perks too. :stuck_out_tongue:

Another thing I was told, since I need custom molds they will not sit flush againt my ear. They will actually stick out a little, being 33 I’m not liking this. He said if I went with the cic he would adjust the vents but then bluetooth wouldn’t be an option. Not liking that either since being on the phone is part of the job. Is this true for starkey as well?

Also, my audi said he had 20 years of exp and had his own practice. He didn’t like rextons because something usually went wrong with them. I didn’t push for more info.

Thanks again…

Hz. 250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000ffice:office" /><O:p></O:p>
L… 25… 55… 65… 65… 70… 65… 55… 30… 25 <O:p></O:p>
R…30… 50… 65… 65… 70… 70… 50… 60… 35 <O:p></O:p>

Why would they stick out? Maybe a mis-communication somewhere there. Rexton has bluetooth available in the Insite CIC, which Costco carries. You will probably have to get a trial of some model and get it adjusted just right to really know if it will work for you. The walking around the store demo is just for show.

I’ve had CIC models and I much prefer the RIC or BTE style.

I don’t know about longterm reliability but I dropped a Rexton Insite CIC into a full glass of water and it took a few seconds for me to fish it out. I took the battery out, dried it as best I could, rolled up some TP and stuck it in the battery compartment as much as I could. I put it in the hearing aid dryer and the next morning it worked fine.

I have had custom molds for at least 10 years… from Sebotec, Rexton, Phonak, Starkey and several local shops and none of them ‘stuck out’? if you think the Wi’s are bulky you might have a problem. You could look at the Siemen Pure SE’s. RIC’s with custom molds are much less noticeable than CICs.

I thought I would put these in my ears and step into a new world of hearing all thing and conversations. All the “things” were there
walking around Costco and expecting demo aids to be wonderful I think is unrealistic. actually walking out of Starkey, Siemens or anywhere and expecting instant satisfaction ain’t going to happen.

I would say since you need custom molds, you can’t judge accurately without them.

I tried both the Starkey Wi and ReSound Futures, in the office and the store, with domes. They were inadequate, because the low tones were all but non-existant.

But still I could judge the quality of speech, and I knew I wouldn’t get full sound without the molds.

Great, it’s good to know that the molds will help and also not to expect much with the demos in costco. As far as sticking out goes, I looked in the mirror to see what they looked like and he said they would actually look like this with your molds, and pulled the tube out a little. He said they would definately be seen. I don’t know maybe he sucks. :smiley: Ha.

Don, interesting about the rextons and great story. Why were you holding your HA over a glass of water? Just kidding…:stuck_out_tongue: Thanks for the advise, I’m going with the ric.

For the starkey, I’m pretty sure he said the wi. Of course, it’s very possible I didn’t hear him correctly. :rolleyes:

Well, I’ll make a decision come Tuesday. Thanks everyone for answering all of my crazy questions.

If you could see it above the ear, it was not fit properly. Have them try you with a longer tube length. It should be almost completely invisible from the font, if you look in a mirror for example.

Failing that, if you’re willing to give up on wireless, the non-wireless version called the X series comes in a size smaller. Also keep in mind there are two RIC Wis, a 312 and a 13. The latter is a bit ‘thick’ and you may prefer the 312 if that’s not what you tried.

As an alternative, Wi is now available in a CIC.

So I went to starkey just to check them out again and what do you know, I bought them! Yay! I looooove them, so happy with my over all experience.

I had tried these on back in aug. and wifi wasn’t available in the cic. Well I’m glad I waited because it is now. So I got the molds done for my wifi cic wis, they will be in next Tuesday. My Audi is great, which really makes me feel better, I can’t stress how important it is to be comfortable and happy with your Audi. He also lowered the price to 4k for both. If the cic don’t work out then bte for $3600. Not too shabby compared to others prices. Even better, he said that in April (give or take) starkey is coming out with a remote to connect to your phone. Basically a Bluetooth, even though he wouldn’t use the word “Bluetooth”. That’s great for me, it was one of the main reasons I was considering Costco resounds.

Which by the way, i didn’t find anything wrong with the resounds, they were very natural sounding. However, the starkeys just did it for me. I put them in my ears and well, they made my heart sing:). I knew instantly these are the ones. (too bad I’m talking about HAs :D) So overall, I got everything I wanted-great price, great product, wifi, “Bluetooth”, trustworthy Audi, and cic. I’m very happy. Thanks to all who help me in HA research, you are greatly appreciated.

Oh ZCT, they didn’t stick up over my ear like I said, I must of dreamt that. Instead they were just a little big at the bottom of the ha. My ears are very small and they don’t hide well. At this point, I don’t even care. I’m doing the cic and even if they don’t work I’ll do the bte and let em ride. Everyone knows I need them so who cares if they can see them a little. It’s too good of product to pass up…

Sorry ZCT, just saw that post above about the wifi in cic. Guess I found out a little late. Hehe

I bought my top of the line Bernafon’s from Costco - cost $2,800 not $6,000 the local audie wanted. The product is top quality and so is Costco. Consumers Reports just put Costco at the top of the list for discounters. The audiologist was unfortunately just starting her career but Bernafon stepped into the breach. Today they are flying in an audiologist and software expert from HO. The overall quality of the sound is excellent except some distortion around 3K. As for audiologists, that’s a total crap shoot. Been to 6 in the past year. Major complaints are - none knew Bernafon or more than one line, arrogant attitude as in don’t listen (ironic eh), ineffective programming.

Mixnhappiness which WI aid did you buy for $4k?

[quote=Don;75758]

I’m pretty sure you have no idea what Costco pays but I’ve heard that their regular employees like cashiers and stockers make around $17 hr which is much more than their competition. I assume they pay audiologists and optometrists the local professional rate.

man what are the odds… the girls at work use to tell me how all guys were worthless because of the ones they went out. I explained maybe they were just good at picking losers.

Totally agree with this. ZCT’s post may be 100% true and factual, but he does need to point out that he works with Starkey, especially when he is saying that Starkey is a better product than something else. Not sure why anyone would argue that he does not need to disclose this? :confused:

ZCT freely admits who he is a number of times, it isn’t like he tries to hide it. Of course, it would solve a lot of the complaints if he put who he worked for in his signature or something.

Look back at his first post… if I posted the original question, and then saw his answer, I would have no idea he works with Starkey products - he just sounds liike a fan of them. You can’t assume that everyone who reads these forums knows who he works for.

I tried the Starkey Wi, top of the line. It is actually more akin to the Alera 962 rather than the Future which is actually and 961. (No volume control, no T-Coil and shaped like a triangle)

I found the Future better than the Starkey, but only slightly. Virtually no feedback while the Starkey had some (but not terrible). And my wife noticed my speech comprehension was significantly better with the Future.

The above poster’s SPAM link has been reported.

Probably a SPAMbot.