Is my audiologist scamming me?

Well all I see is those with vested interest defending their monopoly. You are a dying biz model. Might be time to find another profession.

As a consumer I disagree with you. But since you’re so sure of yourself I’m sure you’re correct.

Hi Everyone.

I think this is my very first post. If there is a thread or forum to introduce myself, etc, I’ll do that soon. In the meantime I wanted to add to this discussion. I hope my lengthy comments are helpful. Oh, and all dollar amounts assume USD.

@plasticmary,

I’m wondering if I can suggest a different way to look at this that might help to mitigate your concerns.

From the comments posted, it sounds as though your insurance company covers up to $5,000/pair for hearing aids. Period. Is that the case?

Setting aside the money issue for a moment …

Are you happy with this “new audiologist”? Do you still see the audiologist who helped you with your previous aids? What are your previous aids? I think someone said they were Widex. If so, what model and “level”? If you have a pair of decent Widex aids, how old are they? Are they still under warranty? Can you explain to your “new” audiologist what the differences are and can he/she make the necessary adjustments?

Hypothetically speaking … let’s say you’re wearing 3-year-old hearing aids. They are out of (or almost out of) warranty. Regardless of the audiologist’s price and/or how the insurance company calculates what they will cover, you have the opportunity to get the Linx2 - 9 for $2K for the pair. These are new and top of the line for Resound. They will have a new warranty. You will now have a spare pair (your Widex). If the sound can be matched “close enough” to your Widex, then you have the extra convenience that comes with the Linx2-9.

I have no idea if your audiologist is overcharging you. If you are settled in one area (ie. don’t move around), you’re comfortable with the new audiologist and you can swing the $2,000 then that’s what they cost. Are you getting scammed? Well, it depends.

From what you’ve said, it sounds like whatever the audiologist calls it, the transaction will cost you either $2,000 or $200. Are follow-up appointments included in the $2,000? How long is the wait for an appointment? Can your previous audiologist talk to your new audiologist to explain the general technical information about your hearing preferences? What about accessories? Are they covered by insurance? Are they sold at twice the cost you could buy them elsewhere? If you buy the accessories elsewhere, will your audiologist service them along with your hearing aids? Are you binding yourself to other costs down the road with the new audiologist?

So far, the only thing you’ve said that concerns me is this: Is the audiologist selling you what you’re being charged for? If you’re buying the Linx2-9, your audiologist shouldn’t say you’re buying the Linx 7, especially after seeing the discrepancy with the contract. If you’re buying the Linx 7, you probably shouldn’t have to pay the extra $2,000 (and you’re not getting top of the line). Is there a way to determine, absolutely, which model you’re buying? Of course, there could be an a perfectly innocent explanation for the confusion.

In terms of off-the-shelf retail, if you didn’t have any insurance coverage, $7,000 sounds about right (+/- $1,000) for the Linx2-9 (full list price), but sounds high for the Linx 7, even at full list price.

But what do I know? I don’t have 2 nickels I can rub together. I’m currently wearing a pair of Widex C-PA440, with off the shelf tulip domes. These were VERY generously donated to me. They are an engineering marvel and I’m incredibly grateful for the gift. As a result, however, I pay each time I see my audiologist, but my out of pocket is less than 10% what I would have spent on the hearing aids if I had bought them outright.

I’m a big fan of Widex. If your pair are from the Dream line or later and you’re happy with your current situation, then pay the $200 and pick up a wireless connector. I think the COM-Dex can be had for less than $300 USD and would likely fulfill your needs. COM-Dex might also work with the Clears (an RC-Dex was included in my gift, so that’s what I use). The Minds have limited compatibility with a fraction of the usual wireless acessories.

If I were in your shoes, I’d try to take a deep breath and, if possible, try not to worry about it. (I know, easier said than done.)

In summary, what’s the worst outcome? What’s the best outcome? Are you actually buying what you think you’re buying and do you like and/or respect the new audiologist? If you think you’re being scammed, then the issue isn’t price. It’s trust. If you can’t trust your audiologist, it will be harder to trust the programming, tweaking and follow-up appointments. If that’s the case, I’d pay the $200 and walk away. If there was understandable confusion as to which model you were getting and you’re actually getting the Linx2-9 AND your new audiologist can work with you and/or your old audiologist to approximate the sound you like, go for it. You’ll have the added convenience of the latest and greatest Resound Mfi HAs, a new warranty and a spare pair of HAs to boot.

Whatever you decide, make the decision and then sleep on it (during the 30-day trial period of course). You’ll know if it’s the right choice.

I hope this makes sense and helps in your decision process.

Cheers.

• KtF

Nicely stated KtF

Thank you, Russ. I tried to steer clear of the financial specifics. You and others have handled that well. Your question as to why the insurance company should care who sells the hearing aid (if coverage is a $5,000 cap) is good food for thought, as well.

It’s hard to make a conclusion without knowing all the facts but for me; if I could get top of line HAs for 2K I would jump at the chance and not worry if my insurance company is being screwed. That’s easy for me to say since I had pay out the nose for mine but that’s behind me now and I’m glad really to have them. Anything deemed “medical” always had an inflated cost.

To the original poster:

Are you being scammed? - You really have to decide this for yourself.

What do you need to know?

1. Are the aids you are trialing Really Linx2 9s?
    This should be easy to find out. Most hearing aids have a label in very fine print which says what they are eg. Inside the battery compartment. Also, when you have these aids linked to your phone check on the phone to see if they are identified there. With my Linx aids the iPhone always identified them both by my name and type of aid.

2. What does your insurance actually cover?
    Get this in writing if possible. Find out if there is a maximum amount and how often it can be accessed. Do they do deals with only certain outlets etc. Does your insurance company have a website where you can log on and check your cover?

3. How happy are you with the actual service you are receiving? Is the audiologist doing a good job for you - cost aside?

Once you have answered these questions then only you can decide if you are getting a good deal.

No. 3 would be my only concern given the facts I have so far. My gut feeling is: Go for it.

If your getting a set of Linx 2’s 961 for $2000 or even a set of 7;s for that monies) you are a lucky person

In the UK the Linx2 961 per pair cost a minimum of £2800 thats like nearly $4000. My earlier Verso’s cost me £3500 (nearly $5000). As long as they do the job and you have confidence in the audi go for it.

A bad audi can make the best aids on the market sound a pile of rubbish, whilst a good audi is a friend for like.

Regards Ian

it

Oops fat fingers,
A good audi is a friend for LIFE

Again, thanks to all of you for the advice and opinions. The bottom line is that my insurance pays 100% of the cost of my hearing aids. There is a contracted rate with each audiologist for the various aids but the audiologist I’m seeing charges extra if I want the top of the line aids. I only have two choices in audiologists. One does not carry the Resound brand. One audiologist is Connect Hearing the other is the office that is charging me an extra $2000.00 for the Resound Linx9. I must decide if I want to return these aids and try Connect Hearing or what I need to do soon. I’ve done as much research as I can possibly do. It’s exhausting and I don’t know why these women at this one audiologist office can’t just be honest. I guess they want to make as much money as possible, period. They seem to be succeeding.

— Updated —

Again, thanks to all of you for the advice and opinions. The bottom line is that my insurance pays 100% of the cost of my hearing aids. There is a contracted rate with each audiologist for the various aids but the audiologist I’m seeing charges extra if I want the top of the line aids. I only have two choices in audiologists. One does not carry the Resound brand. One audiologist is Connect Hearing the other is the office that is charging me an extra $2000.00 for the Resound Linx9. I must decide if I want to return these aids and try Connect Hearing or what I need to do soon. I’ve done as much research as I can possibly do. It’s exhausting and I don’t know why these women at this one audiologist office can’t just be honest. I guess they want to make as much money as possible, period. They seem to be succeeding.

You may find equal aids in another brand. They all have their proponents. A Linx2 7 could be an option with less cost. If you don’t have problems understanding speech, it should be a viable option. Brands are really a personal choice and you might find another aid you like better.

Buying aids through connect isn’t horrid. You get limited support and supplies if you go that way. A full service shop should provide adjustments and supplies for at least 3 years or the life of the aid. You’ll have to ask if domes, wax guards, fittings are covered and for how long.

Do you really need top of the line?

Don’t confuse need with want… the smallest else cheapo car is all you need but I sure like mine with auto and air.

The point was: Is her audi trying to sell something more than she needs.

A profile of HA patient is elderly, baby boomer with some money saved up, and easily taken advantage of by predators. What I see here on this forum is those with vested interest supporting predatory practices, and those who know what is going on trying to stop it.

I’m sure there are many who are new to HAs, who can be told anything and have no knowledge or reason not to believe it and buy something far and above what they really need. I can’t say for myself that I didn’t but I have to live with what I got. I’m satisfied but wow, was it expensive. Could I have done better? Likely! I didn’t know enough in time.

The bottom line is she want’s to know if she is being scammed by her audiologist. The audiologist is charging her $7,000 for HA’s that aren’t top of the line and you can get elsewhere for between $4 and 5 grand, so the answer is she is being scammed.

Except her insurance is going to pay for 100% of it, so it’s the insurance that’s being scammed, at least directly. Everyone who pays for health insurance is being scammed through higher premiums indirectly.

And one of the main reasons we are paying higher premiums is because of audiologists and doctors who overcharge the patient and the insurance co. It’s just like the government contractor who jacks up the price or pads the bill because he is working for the government. We all pay in the end.