Is my audiologist scamming me?

Thank you, Russ. I tried to steer clear of the financial specifics. You and others have handled that well. Your question as to why the insurance company should care who sells the hearing aid (if coverage is a $5,000 cap) is good food for thought, as well.

It’s hard to make a conclusion without knowing all the facts but for me; if I could get top of line HAs for 2K I would jump at the chance and not worry if my insurance company is being screwed. That’s easy for me to say since I had pay out the nose for mine but that’s behind me now and I’m glad really to have them. Anything deemed “medical” always had an inflated cost.

To the original poster:

Are you being scammed? - You really have to decide this for yourself.

What do you need to know?

1. Are the aids you are trialing Really Linx2 9s?
    This should be easy to find out. Most hearing aids have a label in very fine print which says what they are eg. Inside the battery compartment. Also, when you have these aids linked to your phone check on the phone to see if they are identified there. With my Linx aids the iPhone always identified them both by my name and type of aid.

2. What does your insurance actually cover?
    Get this in writing if possible. Find out if there is a maximum amount and how often it can be accessed. Do they do deals with only certain outlets etc. Does your insurance company have a website where you can log on and check your cover?

3. How happy are you with the actual service you are receiving? Is the audiologist doing a good job for you - cost aside?

Once you have answered these questions then only you can decide if you are getting a good deal.

No. 3 would be my only concern given the facts I have so far. My gut feeling is: Go for it.

If your getting a set of Linx 2’s 961 for $2000 or even a set of 7;s for that monies) you are a lucky person

In the UK the Linx2 961 per pair cost a minimum of £2800 thats like nearly $4000. My earlier Verso’s cost me £3500 (nearly $5000). As long as they do the job and you have confidence in the audi go for it.

A bad audi can make the best aids on the market sound a pile of rubbish, whilst a good audi is a friend for like.

Regards Ian

it

Oops fat fingers,
A good audi is a friend for LIFE

Again, thanks to all of you for the advice and opinions. The bottom line is that my insurance pays 100% of the cost of my hearing aids. There is a contracted rate with each audiologist for the various aids but the audiologist I’m seeing charges extra if I want the top of the line aids. I only have two choices in audiologists. One does not carry the Resound brand. One audiologist is Connect Hearing the other is the office that is charging me an extra $2000.00 for the Resound Linx9. I must decide if I want to return these aids and try Connect Hearing or what I need to do soon. I’ve done as much research as I can possibly do. It’s exhausting and I don’t know why these women at this one audiologist office can’t just be honest. I guess they want to make as much money as possible, period. They seem to be succeeding.

— Updated —

Again, thanks to all of you for the advice and opinions. The bottom line is that my insurance pays 100% of the cost of my hearing aids. There is a contracted rate with each audiologist for the various aids but the audiologist I’m seeing charges extra if I want the top of the line aids. I only have two choices in audiologists. One does not carry the Resound brand. One audiologist is Connect Hearing the other is the office that is charging me an extra $2000.00 for the Resound Linx9. I must decide if I want to return these aids and try Connect Hearing or what I need to do soon. I’ve done as much research as I can possibly do. It’s exhausting and I don’t know why these women at this one audiologist office can’t just be honest. I guess they want to make as much money as possible, period. They seem to be succeeding.

You may find equal aids in another brand. They all have their proponents. A Linx2 7 could be an option with less cost. If you don’t have problems understanding speech, it should be a viable option. Brands are really a personal choice and you might find another aid you like better.

Buying aids through connect isn’t horrid. You get limited support and supplies if you go that way. A full service shop should provide adjustments and supplies for at least 3 years or the life of the aid. You’ll have to ask if domes, wax guards, fittings are covered and for how long.

Do you really need top of the line?

Don’t confuse need with want… the smallest else cheapo car is all you need but I sure like mine with auto and air.

The point was: Is her audi trying to sell something more than she needs.

A profile of HA patient is elderly, baby boomer with some money saved up, and easily taken advantage of by predators. What I see here on this forum is those with vested interest supporting predatory practices, and those who know what is going on trying to stop it.

I’m sure there are many who are new to HAs, who can be told anything and have no knowledge or reason not to believe it and buy something far and above what they really need. I can’t say for myself that I didn’t but I have to live with what I got. I’m satisfied but wow, was it expensive. Could I have done better? Likely! I didn’t know enough in time.

The bottom line is she want’s to know if she is being scammed by her audiologist. The audiologist is charging her $7,000 for HA’s that aren’t top of the line and you can get elsewhere for between $4 and 5 grand, so the answer is she is being scammed.

Except her insurance is going to pay for 100% of it, so it’s the insurance that’s being scammed, at least directly. Everyone who pays for health insurance is being scammed through higher premiums indirectly.

And one of the main reasons we are paying higher premiums is because of audiologists and doctors who overcharge the patient and the insurance co. It’s just like the government contractor who jacks up the price or pads the bill because he is working for the government. We all pay in the end.

Doc’s know exactly how far they can push the insurance companies… the insurance companies will never be scammed.

— Updated —

Doc’s know exactly how far they can push the insurance companies… the insurance companies will never be scammed.

I thought the Linx2 9 was the tops. Which do you mean; tops for Resound or tops overall?

The Widex unique Fusion 440 is $7,100 as quoted to me. I opted for the 330 because I had to draw the line somewhere and saved $900. I probably could have gone with the 220 and saved another thousand. Audi said I needed the 440. I’m doing just fine with the 330.

Who can you trust anymore!

Russ, there is a bit of confusion on just what level aid she got. She thought 7 at the start but it may be a 9.

True but her contract showed the 9. Assuming it’s the 9, is it worth 7K outside Costco?

She has no choice but to remain with a private dispensor so it’s pointless to factor in Costco.

Her cost is 2K unless she goes for less than tops.

It may be a scam outside of Costco but for her it may be worth it because 5K will be given.