Is it possible that new hearing aids can cause hearing loss?

At a testing appointment in mid-June, the audiologist said I would probably not lose more hearing as the loss was declining. At the end of June, I got my new Oticons. On July 4th, I could not hear anyone without my aids unless I was about 1 foot away. This had never been a problem as I could pretty much hear people on the other side of my kitchen. A hearing test last week revealed I had lost 2 points in each ear. But in the bass/lower frequencies. I was pretty much immediate. Now, my hearing is totally messed up and I am working with them to get the aids adjusted, which may not even be possible.

But I want to know…how can something like this happen. All the signs point to the aids. They were not programmed above the danger threshold but is it possible that my ears are more delicate - for lack of a better term - than other people’s? I am afraid to wear them in case they did the damage. And they are pretty much useless to me now.

The first time I called my audiologist, she said it was my brain adjusting. I didn’t think so, and if I didn’t wear them would the brain re-adjust??

Opinions, knowledge, help appreciated!

I’m not really understanding everything. If your hearing test shows a 2 decibel drop since the last test, I don’t think you could tell. But, with new hearing aids that might be louder, your perception of your hearing without hearing aids could have changed. In other words, when you take them out things sound lower than you remember.

I would trust the numbers. A two point drop is probably nothing to worry about and may be a normal variation in hearing tests. You could take two hearing tests back to back and get more variation than that.

Sounds like something is off…have you checked for wax buildup, ear infection etc?

I don’t believe it to be hearing aid related at all. The difference is apparent to you without hearing aids in. This points to something with your ears. It is highly doubtful that the hearing aid damaged your hearing further…unless you have a power hearing aid for the profoundly deaf and your audiologist made a very bad mistake.

I’m sorry…I see a typo in my post. It is not 2 points. It is 20 points/decibels.

Thanks, Don. It’s not 2, it’s 20. A typo!! Guess I’d better get my eyes checked too, huh?

I have had hearing aids for 30 years and I’m familiar with the issue of taking them out and having them sound lower. Before this, I could stand 20 or 25 feet away from Hubs and hear him. Now, I cannot hear him even 2 feet away. That’s not the same thing.

Thanks for responding!

Thanks, efigalaxie. Yes, I think so too. In my post I typed 2 and it should have been 20 points/decibels. I do indeed have a hearing aid for my profound hearing issue. Checked everything. No wax, no infection. I think an MRI might be next, just to check.

Thanks for responding. If it’s not in my head, I’ll be sure and report back.

You can edit your original post if you like. Click on the little pencil looking icon in the lower right of your post to edit it.
For future readers…

Gotcha. Yeah, that’s a big difference.

And now it is down another 10 DB in my left ear! And this is in only two weeks! Doctor says nothing is wrong but no MRI or anything else. I’m panicking here! Trying Mayo Clinic in two weeks.

Anyone have any ideas??

My hearing has got worse over the last 15 years while wearing aids, but my hearing also has been going down hill over the last 40 years. Has wearing aids made my hearing worse? Well I asked one of my Audis and was told a flat maybe, but also that my hearing was also getting worse due to age, and even more so due to the damage that was done to my hearing due to loud noise over a long amount of tome due to, equipment noise, flying, shooting weapons, loud motorcycles, etc. Well I hav worked around loud equipment all my life, let’s just say from the time I was old enough to walk. I grew up on a farm and loud equipment is a known issue. I hunted, and I road motorcycles. And to my surprise even driving down the road with the windows open is bad on our hearing. I grew up in the 1950s we did now know what car AC was. My first vehicle with AC wasn’t until the mid 1970s. So lets just say that living is bad on our hearing

Living is definitely bad for hearing! Over the years my hearing has declined, normally. But my hearing has taken a huge dump - termed abnormal by my audi - in a few weeks. In fact, over 20 decibels in a couple of weeks in the bass. THAT’s the issue. I am seeing a different doctor and we’ll see what he says. I did find out that people’s ears are different and it is definitely possible that a hearing aid can damage your ears if they are less than sturdy. So I guess I have my answer. I will not be wearing my Oticons again until I get a definite answer. I cannot afford to lose anymore.

The issue is even worse, if you stop wearing your aids you can destroy your physical and or mental health. Not hearing correctly can cause lots of other health issue including Dementia