Has anyone experienced an outer ear infection caused by ear molds? I saw an ENT today and I was told that may be my problem. Speech has been sounding muffled on the right. He said that it’s an outer ear infection caused by irritation from the ear mold, and that is causing thickening of the ear drum. He prescribed antibiotic eardrops, so I should find out in a week or so if that solves the problem. I was just wondering if this is something that happens frequently to people who wear hearing aids. I never had it happen with soft silicone ear molds. Now I am wearing hard acrylic Power Molds. Are they more likely to cause this sort of problem?