Iphone "live listen" function

Maybe the Auracast version will be available soon. Better sound would ideal.

Does not the Oticon Companion App have a mic switch to turn your iPhone into a remote mic? I don’t think it’s the same as Live Listen but I may be mistaken

1 Like

Press the right side ON Button of the iPhone 3 times and the “live Listen” will shown on the iPhone 13 screen. Tap on it to switch it on and adjust the volume if necessary.
I do not have Oticon Companion.

Live Listen for iPhone and iPad is fantastic. It not only works with Made for iPhone hearing aids, but also with Apple Bluetooth headphones like AirPods. When using Live Listen, the iPhone/iPad volume control buttons increase the gain for the microphone, making everything louder, so make sure you adjust that if you’re having trouble hearing when using that feature before turning up the Microphone Levels on the hearing devices page. Take a look at this page for more information.

Mike

1 Like

Live listen is very useful for those who have mild to moderate hearing loss. For those with severe hearing - maybe. Those with severe to profound - not very useful (maybe 10-20% improvement). Live Listen activated phone must be place near the speaker - with the phone microphone (bottom of the phone) facing the speaker.
Live Listen is also useful as an assisted device for watching TV. Place the phone near the back of the TV (this is where the TV speaker is located)
If the ambient sound is interfering or noisy, used the phone apps (Companion in Oticon) to mute the HA’s microphone. When the HA’s mic is mute, the live listen in the phone will pick up the TV sound. Quite clear and sharp voice. If the sound is still soft, adjust the mic volume in the iPhone (left & right).
Good Luck,

1 Like

@dankailo
Live listen works perfectly for me, in restaurants with a noisy ambience and on a round table of 6. I put my phone in the middle of the table, I don’t pass my phone to any individual. I have severe profound hearing loss (l check my audiogram) I do not have any problems with live listen, it works extremely well for me. So well I don’t need any other ALD’s to help me hear in noisy situations.
But on a rectangular table for more than 6 people, I can still hear but not as well as the round table.

1 Like

@Deaf_piper

With LiveListen is it your CI that picks out more?

I think having an CI is an advantage in terms of what @dankailo was trying to explain.

This is from my understanding of what @dankailo was saying. He’s talking from a hearing aid user.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Phonaks are not compatible with iPhone’s live listen but they do work with Google’s sound amplifier.

Phonak owners might as well switch to Android, which is more feature rich.

Or they could switch hearing aids and enjoy the MFi features that have expanded over the 10 years I have enjoyed them.They would gain more features built directly into the OS on the phone.

We’ll, I’d rather have the best of two worlds and be able to connect to ANY device (TV, laptop) like Phonaks do…

Honestly, nowadays it’s the phone that should adapt to my HAs of choice, not all the way around.

For me the sacrifice of battery runtime per charge made the choice if avoiding Phonak easy, especially when I stream a lot of virtual meetings. I doubt Phonak would last a typical day for me. I have had absolutely no issues with the Oticon aids I have been wearing for the past 3 weeks. Incidentally, the Phonaks would also have been a higher price.

It depends on your priorities but wanting aids with increased connectivity but not the battery runtime to benefit makes about as much sense as buying an EV in California knowing you cannot charge it during rolling blackouts.

Yeah but that’s another topic.
I wasn’t talking about which HA is better, I was saying that, for current Phonak users, Android seems to be a better solution to me (and btw I have an iPhone).

BTW, battery life is a concern for me as well as a Phonak owner, but I’ve found that 20 minutes charge during the lunch break (for example), gives me all the juice that I need to cover even 24 hours of use with several Team Meetings and streaming time in between.

But, as I said, this is another topic.

1 Like

Tis simple, IMO avoid rechargeable aids, and the runtime isn’t an issue… :upside_down_face: TBH, I can’t fathom why anyone would even contemplate rechargeable RIC aids, if they have a heavy hearing loss… The sound quality from a, UP/SP BTE is always going to be richer… BTW, I use iPhones, iMacs, iPad Pro, MacBook Pro, I like quality, and all Apple products are expensive, but you pay for what u get, tried android in the past, I regard them as mostly cheap and cheerful, Apple exudes sheer quality… I bought a new MacBook Pro M2 last week, the speed of that M2 processor is absolutely amazing, the sound quality is pristine via Bluetooth to my Naida aids, an awesome piece of kit, on benchmark it slays everything available at present, Apple are expensive for a reason… As always YMMV. Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

What’s "UP/SP "? (text system here wants more characters…)

1 Like

@Zebras

No, my HA is slightly louder than my CI. Trying to get both devices equally balanced is quite difficult here in Melbourne. As I have 2 AuD’s, with 2 different computers from 2 different companies and they are not connected on the one system.

It doesn’t make the slightest bit of sense to me, but it’s the way our Federal Gov works.

1 Like

That still equates to not having Phonak since that is all they now offer in minirite aids.

1 Like

Super Power Aids.

Ultra Power Aids.

Totally, I agree.

I always like to not be reliant on the UK Energy Companies to be able to hear.

2 Likes

That will change Bruce…The replaceable battery version’s will be along, if not, then I might change brand… I am a fairly patient person, and I have 3 good sets of aids, to keep me going in the meantime, no replaceable battery version, then no sale… :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I have Signia AX7 rechargeable aids with telecoil, which gives a longer charge. I don’t stream that much, but I have zero issues with having enough charge for my needs. I mean, i’ve never begun to come close to running out of power. I ain’t going back to replaceable batteries! the rechargeable aids are much easier for me. Try them sometime! You may be surprised. I was.

1 Like

@kevels55 did and they cut out in cold weather and couldn’t be turned back on until placed in charger!

I wouldn’t want to risk that!

2 Likes