iOS 16 and Hearing Aid/Hearing App Performance Differences

Since it won’t be too long before iOS 16 is officially out, I thought I’d start a thread for hearing aid/hearing app performance differences in iOS 16 vs. iOS 15.x.

A quaint observation to start out with is that I can no longer force close the ReSound Smart 3D app when I think it’s gone south, and I want to force it to reload. In iOS 15.x when you have an app open, swiping up from bottom to top would normally kill an app. Apple encourages you not to do this and says things go better if you just let all your apps “sleep.” And the Smart 3D app used to actually have a little pop-up box asking one not to force close (“please don’t do that again” type of message).

Now when I swipe up from the bottom, the Smart 3D app refuses to be killed and go off the top of the screen, the visual cue that iOS provides to let you know you’ve killed an open app. I still get into situations occasionally, though, where the 3D app has somehow hung up and automatically decides to reload itself.

I’d be interested to know when other folks get iOS 16 (I got it through being in the BETA trial), how their MFi HA app behaves relative to any effort to force close the app. Since the myPhonak app is more of a regular app, I’d predict that one will force close same as always.

I can force close the Philips Hearlink app. I also opened the ReSound app in demo mode and had no issue force closing it.

I’m on the latest iOS 16 beta version.

1 Like

Perhaps a difference** is that I have the 3D app placed in the iPhone Dock (the bar at the bottom of the Home Screen for frequently used or important apps). I’m also using an iPhone XS Max, if that could make any difference. I’m wearing Quattros, too, but I doubt the HA involved could be a factor.

What happens with me, as I drag the open 3D app up and it shrinks to a smaller “pop-up” window, as I am dragging it up the screen, its icon or window suddenly jumps back to the app icon location on the Dock. I can’t drag the 3D app off the top of the screen.

I have the latest beta, the one that came out today - but I’ve been noticing the odd behavior for the last several days. Given all the previous warnings from iOS and ReSound about not forcing closing apps, the 3D app especially, my overactive imagination is thinking that they’re finally taking steps to prevent the user from doing so - but maybe it’s all just an iOS beta glitch on my iPhone! Since I hope to replace my phone with an iPhone 14 Pro shortly, I’ll just see what happens then.

I also have an Apple Watch 6 with the 3D app also installed on the watch, if that could make any difference in behavior.

Edit_Update: ** It doesn’t make a difference in behavior if I move the 3D app off the iPhone Dock to the main part of a home screen several pages into my collection of home screens (I promise to learn all the iPhone screen parts lingo when I actually get my own phone!)

Appreciate your concerns for Ios 16 but remember there are some folks out there with Ios 15.6.1 who have problems too and have been told by Widex Customer folks that there will be no fix and you will have yo put up with the issues til Ios 16 come out. Now… I suspect that other than beta testers, there is no way Widex app can be tested. If there is a problem looks as if Widex may not care again. Really too bad.
Thanks for the heads up.

Perhaps what’s different (other than faulty recollection on my part) is starting only from the bottom of the open app and swiping up, I used to be able to pause as the App Switcher (the app carousel) appeared but then continue swiping up with the same app I started with, not letting go of it, until it disappeared off the top of the screen and was killed.

Now, if I pause when the App Switcher appears and lift my finger off the app in which I started swiping up when I moved it to the middle of the screen, the app will join the other apps in the app switcher. Tapping and holding that app again will allow me to swipe it up off the top of the screen and kill it whereas I can’t do it with a just pause in mid screen without letting go (although I thought I could before).