IOS 14 Apple Finally Fixed Text Alerts

So what all system sounds does that enable?

Text alerts, email alerts, keyboard clicks, photo shutter, my Xfinity app door opening chimes.
Pretty much all. Phone ring in ears is controlled separately, and can be toggled on and off from the screen I sent in previous post.
I couldn’t always hear text alerts when phone plays sounds, even with aids in.

2 Likes

Well that will disabled on my iPhone, and do not want any of that to my hearing aids. Only the phone calls.

I’m running with the beta right now, and also have the Apple Watch. What I’ve noticed with the switch on in the settings is that anything that alerts me on my watch - texts, notices etc - will not come to the hearing aids. Therefore pretty much all I get in the HAs is when I’m typing I hear the click click. Or if iPhone screen is on, and notice would go to the phone.

If I’m not wearing my watch it all comes to the HAs when the switch is on. With switch off it is exactly like pre beta

I get all my notifications to my watch with IOS13 so hopefully that will not change,I prefer the notifications to the watch and never to the hearing aids.

You can always turn off keyboard clicks in Settings -> Sounds.

I’ve been thinking about getting an Apple Watch, I was on borderline, this is great info to know, thanks for sharing

1 Like

I really love my Apple Watch, I am a hiker, and I do a lot of walking so I love the activity apps. It was suggested to my by my doctor for the hard fall monitor and the ECG, and heart rate checking.

1 Like

iOS 14 hasn’t arrive downunder as yet :cry:

it is only in Beta at this time, so they are using Beta software that hasn’t be fully verified

2 Likes

I like the notifications well enough but 14 Beta has other quirks I don’t like.
Removing it for now, I can wait for actual release.
Should be in September.

Did they include the feature that allows the Apple Pro ear buds to use the microphone of the I phone like an assistive listening device.

I think so but I don’t have the wireless ear buds.
The mic worked with the HAs, (Oticon OPN S)

Mike

I just found this out for the MultiTimer app. With the System Sounds turned on in Accessibility on my iPhone in iOS 14.2, a timer started on my iPhone will ring in my HA’s. But if I start the same timer on the watch, I get a much fainter, easier to overlook ding-ding on the watch. :slightly_frowning_face: What I’d like even more, since the timers can be named, would be if the ding-ding could be in my ears and the app would also announce the name of the timer that went off. I’ll try the developer.

Edit_Update: I did find an (impractical) way to get watch notifications sent to the iPhone (and thus to my HA’s). If you turn off Wrist Detection, then when the MultiTimer goes off on the watch, the notification goes to the phone and sounds in my HA’s. But when you turn off Wrist Detection, one disables a whole bunch of other useful functions, including activity tracking and heart monitoring, fall detection, etc. Source of idea: iOS: Fixing iPhone No Notifications Sound When Locked - miapple.me.

I’m running iOS 14.7.1 on an iPhone 11. In the last few days, I’ve lost my text alerts to my hearing aids., Resound Quattros, running 1.0.45. Looking back over this thread, I’ve got everything turned on that I can see should be on.

Has this happened to others? Any suggestions for a fix would be welcome because, at first, I didn’t like getting the text alerts but now I’ve gotten to rely on them quite a bit.

1 Like

You might describe what “I’ve got everything turned on that I can see should be on” in more detail. Otherwise, anyone who wants to help is guessing at what settings to suggest for you.

I find on Accessibility, Hearing Devices, Audio Routing, that I get the best results on things going to my HA’s if I pick “Always Hearing Devices” for Call Audio and Media Audio. Otherwise, lots of times when I go to start the iPhone (Apple) Podcast app and my settings are Automatic, the stupid iPhone with iOS 14.7.1 may try to start playing my podcast through the phone speakers rather than my HA’s. So if you have Automatic for these routing settings, as long as you’re pretty sure that you’re going to be wearing your HA’s, try changing the Call Audio at least to Always Hearing Devices. You could have a friend text you as you try different settings.

Thanks, Jim.
In “Notifications,” in “Messages,” I have a “sound” selected, and all 3 “alerts” are checked (“lock screen, notification, banners,” as well as “allow notifications.” In “accessibility,” “hearing devices,” “audio routing,” I’ve had “automatic” selected (forever). I will test changing it to “always hearing devices” but I do often have my aids out early morning and late at night so that could be a different kind of problem. On the “hearing devices” screen I have all these buttons on: “play ringtones, play sound systems, control nearby devices, audio handoff and control on lock screen.” I have “hearing aid compatibility” off. I’ll test it in a few hours and edit this post if changing to “always hearing devices” allowed me to get text alerts to my aids.

Edited to add that changing to “always hearing devices” makes no difference to text or phone rings. Phone rings still come to my aids but text alerts don’t.

Did you try restarting your iPhone? Doing that often fixes an unexplained problem that has appeared unexpectedly.

Thanks, David. Yep, I tried turning my phone off and on. No change.

And, as I edited my reply to Jim, changing the setting in audio routing to “always hearing devices” didn’t fix this either.

I’m thinking about unpairing and repairing the aids. But I REALLY hate to do that…I’ve only done it a very few times in 3 years and I always feel like everything will go awry with that. Sigh.

The only notification I want going to my hearing aids is when the phone calls come in and I want to hear who is calling me before I answer the call. The rest I don’t care about. Messages I can see from my watch, and my watch is also my alarm clock.