International purchase - Buyhear, HearStore, Hearing Central, Ebay, Which one is better?

Dear KenP, I am not telling anyone not to buy hearing aids online, I am just informing about companies’ internet sales policy and the risks of buying online

Here are some more links I found, where you could read what ASHA, Phonak, Resound, Starkey, Starkey blog, Oticon and Unitron have to say about online sales.

I understand, Chris. It is just that your industry is anything but transparent. Quality consistent with the medical industry just isn’t there overall. I consider the providers that are active here a great resource as they show they are more interested in consumers than most. I see similar broad responses in the Q&A on the main site where some follow the industry releases more closely than others. It easy to see who has the consumer first.

What caused my interest was using an Indian site to document. We know different product use evolving economies to sell old products. I just thought it quite unusual to use them.

I believe it is licensing rather than medical standards that drives the market.

1 Like

Since we are talking about internet sales, it has nothing to do with the country. Αny one can buy from anywhere
 That’s why I posted a few more links.

I don’t know if it is licensing rather than medical standards. In a few years, since we can now remotely adjust the settings of some hearing instruments, we might even see factories selling their products online.
As I told you in my last reply I am not trying to dissuade anyone from buying online but in any case, I believe the consumers have to know the risks of buying online.

I talked to a ebay seller that sells new phonak hearing aids and l asked him about the warranty. I know that Phonak will not repair phonak aids sold thru ebay but there is a way to get it repaired.
The seller phonak aids are from South Korea.
The seller said to me:

Many of hearing aid users purchase their wishing hearing aids with reasonable price from out of their country while on travelling.

You can say that you have purchased the hearing aids while you have traveled in Korea with your Korean friend if Phonak ask.

Of course, given the 50% or so off when buying online, your risk is significantly mitigated. Also, I’m not aware of ANY online buyer who has EVER been denied a warranty based on where a HA was purchased (it’s not even legal in some states!)

Hello there

I just have received a pair of Signia NX 312 and the NoahLink Wireless device :smiley:
I bought it from Buyhear.com. No complaints until now, the product is in perfect conditions and as this is an international purchase, from USA to PerĂș, i was worried to have some problem with a mistake on model or color or missed accesorie, but its the same i asked, so i feel relief. Now i wait the post sale service stand in high quality to doing the remote programming.

3 Likes

That is some beautiful hi tech equipment!!

Though, without Firmware update capability. Signia requires a wired programming device (mini Pro/Hi Pro) for Firmware updates.

2 Likes

Yes
 I 've just realized that. I hope they include firmware updates through wireless devices in the future.

jvmalca, that’s exciting news - and perfect timing for Christmas, too, if you celebrate it! Your mom must be anxious AND thrilled at once. Give her plenty of time to try these out, tell you what she likes about them, and hopefully she will KEEP wearing them!

It can seem overwhelming when someone HEARS all the sounds they’ve been missing for a while. But these new sounds will become the new normal in time. Best of luck to your mom for a speedy transition to wearing the aids. And GOD BLESS you for being there to get the aids and take charge of her safety and comfort. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is a risky proposition and that’s why many mfgs (not just hearing aid mfgs) required wired connection for firmware updates. Wireless connection may get interrupted inadvertently and the interruption may cause the device to be bricked (depending on how robust their firmware update codes are).

So it’s not because mfgs don’t know how to do firmware updates wirelessly, it’s because they don’t want to do it wirelessly.

1 Like

Some manufacturers do want to update Firmware wirelessly. Phonak Taeget fitting software has a Tools/Reset to factory Settings/Hearing Instruments in case the wireless Firmware update fails.

1 Like

Yes, apparently they’ve designed their firmware update code robust enough that a factory reset is possible, so they can lower the risk of wireless interruption. Unfortunately most other mfgs don’t want to bother spending more time to make their firmware upgrade robust enough like Phonak does, hence the wired update is required. Oticon is one of those guys.

I think it’s the other way around. I think it’s because they have a Reset to factory Settings Tool, that they don’t have to be concerned making the wireless Firmware update robust.

Also, I wonder what Oticon/Signia will recommend for a scenario where you get a failed wired Firmware update because you lose electrical power during the wired Firmware update?

ETA> The manual for Oticon Firmware Updater Tool only says restart if it fails.

I wish every mfg has a reset to factory setting option like Phonak does for a firmware update.

The extent of the damage to the device probably varies depending on how the device is designed. If the device already has a firmware version already on a ROM in the device then a reset is all it needs to restore it from the ROM to the EPROM. But if there’s no ROM backup and it writes directly into the only EPROM it has then it can be bricked more easily.

Also I think it’s not so much the inadvertent wireless interruption they’re worried about, but it’s probably more about making sure that the power supply is not interrupted in case it’s a long update and the battery juice runs out.

I’ve bricked Oticon aids during a firmware update, and also bricked a FittingLink 3 dongle. IMO, they are total incompetents when it comes to software.

What?? Let’s not go starting any bricked hearing aid rumors and bricked FittingLINK 3.0 rumors without providing any details. Please provide details.

1 Like

Oh, these happened with disconnects during update, so no fault other than the fact that competent engineering wouldn’t allow bricking (requiring sending hardware back to the manufacturer) to occur. Crap design.

I know you want to be angry with the manufacturer, but others here may want more information other than my brand-new $6000+ Opn hearing aids are crap.

1. Did this happen to you while you were self programming?
  2. Or did this happen to your Audi?
  3. Was the FittingLINK 3.0 dongle in its cradle during the disconnect/communications failure or was it plugged into a rear desktop USB port that may be prone to interference?
  4. You said the Opn failure occurred during a Firmware update. This was using a Hi Pro, Right? If Yes, then I don’t understand. Did the FittingLINK 3.0 failure occur at some other time?

You make a lot of assumptions, don’t you?

1. Not brand-new or even close to new
  2. Not $6000 or close to $6000
  3. Never said the HA’s were crap
  4. Never said the bricking was anyone’s fault other than mine (so the details are irrelevant to others)

Other than that, spot on, pvc!

I didn’t make any assumptions. What I am saying it that other people have paid $6000+ for Opn hearing aids, and this is likely alarming news to them.

Crap design/crap hearing aids, what’s the difference?

Inquiring minds want to know what the heck you are talking about when all your hardware gets bricked and has to be sent back to the factory?

If the details are irrelevant to others then I don’t understand why you posted this??

1 Like