Importance of Dryer Station

How important is a dryer station? My hearing aids were acting up in the last couple of days, and I went back to the store to adjust or rest them. The technician did readjust them, and recommended that I buy a drying station. How important is it? I thought that with the insulation technology utilized for modern HA, that was not necessary, since the insulation prevents corrosion even in presence of water. Any opinion and facts?

The need for a drying kit / station will depend on the environments you wear the hearing aids in as well as how much you perspire etc. I don’t recommend them for everyone but there are certainly some patients I have who benefit greatly from a drying station

As above, the drying station is definitely a good option for those with ‘wet’ ears, people who wear helmets/hats a lot and those who perspire doing manual work. There are some reasonable ones knocking around for not a load of cash with the UV lights and timers.

Just one word of warning, if you use Oticon grip tips they are not photostable and Oticon will deny any liability if one breaks apart and requires medical intervention in your ear.

I bought a Phonak D Dry and put my HAs in there over night to store them away from children and pets and they also get dried over night on a 3 hour or a 6 hour cycle.

— Updated —

I bought a Phonak D Dry and put my HAs in there over night to store them away from children and pets and they also get dried over night on a 3 hour or a 6 hour cycle.

I had a electronic dryer with UV that ate my aids one night. Must have overheated. Put two good aids in and the next morning took out two dead aids. I use the one that can recharge and isn’t electric. I use them as much for a container to hold them overnight as a dryer. They are around 10-bucks and last almost forever without having to purchase replacement descants.

When I got my aids at Costco 5+ years ago, they gave me a thing that looks like one of those keep-your-coffee-warm hot-plates. I simply park my aids there overnight with the battery-compartment doors open, but I don’t always remember to turn it on even. No moisture problems so far.

KenP which device are you using? I’ve been using a Zephyr which is a powered unit and the desiccant brick is replaced every two months. More than once I’ve wondered about the potential for a thermostat failure. I think having a large obvious place to keep them overnight is a requirement for such small and expensive pieces of technology. I also live in Eugene, Oregon which is known for being a wet environment.

It was the Dry & Store with UV.

I guess you’d say I’m one of those people with “wet” ears. My aids go in my Dry & Store every night. Still, at some point during the day I have to open them up and dry off the batteries and battery doors with a tissue. If I don’t, the moisture will result in a resistive short on the battery and I’ll get the low battery warning.

I’ve had it happen anywhere from one day after I change the batteries up to the week I normally get from them. I had it happen one time to a pair of 3 day old batteries. I was driving at the time and couldn’t dry them off until an hour later. By that time, the batteries were completely dead and had to be replaced.

That nanocoating on the HAs does nothing for the battery.

Thanks to everybody who replied.
In my case, there is no problem of wet ear, and I do not live in a humid environment. So I have to conclude that the Costco person was trying to sell me something I do not need.

The nanocoating should prevent oxidation from everyday’s humidity; my batteries do not seem to have any issue either. Regarding the malfunctioning of my HA then it must not be a question of humidity; it’s a mystery for now.