I'm a new member and looking for assistance please

If money is an issue, and it sounds like it is, go to Costco. See what you think. If you do indeed purchase, you’ve got 6 months to make up your mind and can get a full refund. I don’t have OPNs, but my understanding is that they don’t block out any noise until there’s speech, then they remove noise. The 1 can remove more noise than the 2 and 3, but it sounds like differences are subtle from what I’ve read.

1 Like

Even though I wear the OPN 1 and I’m a big fan of it, in terms of value for the dollars, I think the Costco KS8 wins hands down.

Since you mention that money is an issue for you, I’d recommend trying out the KS8 first. If it works for you, then it’s a win win both dollar wise and functionality wise. With the OPN, it may be a win in the functionality department if you like it better than the KS8, but it’ll never win on value vs the KS8.

1 Like

Very good info. Money is always and issue, but in this situation, Im willing to pay for what works best for me. Ill buy the OPN if it meets my expectations. If the KS8’s meet my expectation as well, then that’s the one to buy.

thank you

1 Like

The word “functionality” is the word I’ve been looking for. What are the features and functions that you like about the OPN 1?

The KS8 is really the Signia Nx 312 and there is much more information on the Signia website. The KS8 can have a cone of sound (my word for it) and you can adjust the direction of that cone, and if projected forward, you can adjust the width of the cone. Speech is emphasized inside the cone. If you don’t want to adjust the cone you can select auto and it will decide, and normally auto is all I need. You can also say 360, which is like saying no cone, I want to hear everything in all directions.

I’m having a really good experience with the sound of the KS8. It really has a lot of features.

One feature is that it has sound environments that it recognizes, and for which it makes adjustments. This is all happening on program 1 and is not related to the 6 programs that can be manually selected. For example, “car” is one of the environments so when it senses that I’m in the car it reduces road noise. I think there are 5 or 6 environments it recognizes . I think all the modern, premium brands have something similar, and they all have their own catchy name for it, and of course, they all claim they are the only ones who have it.

I am trialing hearing aids. I have tried Oticon OPN1 BTEs, Resound Enzo 998s (my request…was hoping to derive the benefits of the 675 battery, but my loss is outside the intended envelope enough that it was causing drastic issues.), And the Linx 3D 988.

I am here to tell you there ARE drastic differences hearing aid manufacturer to hearing aid manufacturer. The differences scream at me.

For me, the OPN1 is the most natural sounding hearing aid that I have ever worn…and I have been wearing since 1976. Why am I trialing the Linx3D, then? Accessories…that is why. Control…that is why.

I work in a steel mill. I am an electrician/electronics technician. My shift is 12 hours. I wear a 2 way…it is useless unless the signal is piped directly into my head. Resound gives me 2 ways…Bluetooth and direct connection with a 3.5mm plug…using the Phone Clip or the Multimic. Oticon gives me a single way…Bluetooth.

So everyone has a different situation and different needs. Unfortunately, there is no substitute for trying them. The ability to do that is a revelation to me. Before, it was whatever the audiologist put on my head.

What I like about the OPN is that it’s very simple to the user on the outside, yet very effective. You can just use the default program that comes with it 95% of the times or more. I never touch my phone app to try to control anything on the OPN. Even volume and program control can be done directly via the buttons on the hearing aids.

This is in stark contrast to the current/new wave of hearing aids that stout this program and that program, this control and that control on their phone apps. Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with this if you like to have lots of control at your finger tip. The question is whether you want to bother to deal with all that stuff, or you want to let the hearing aid deal with all that stuff for you.

This doesn’t mean that the OPN doesn’t have as many features and functionalities as the other hearing aids. You can look at their marketing brochure and you’ll see them list their features/functionalities up the ying/yang just like anybody else. But when it comes down to using it, all their features and functionalities are seamlessly transparent to you, and all you need to do is worry about volume control. And if you have the TV Adapter, then 2 programs, the default program, and how to switch between the default program to the TV program.

The reason many people say that the OPN is the most natural sounding hearing aid to them is because they take a drastically different approach in dealing with noise. They do, but they also don’t. They deal with noise in a very subtle way, solely to clarify speech. Yet it takes a lot of computing power and a different paradigm to achieve this. And they don’t deal with noise because in their new paradigm, nothing really is noise. Instead they’re just natural sounds around you. Whether you want to hear some sound and not others, it’s up to your brain to decide. Because of this, you’re not missing any sound, and as a result, everything sounds more natural, naturally. Even something as subtle as the natural reverbation in the room can be noticed easily with the OPN.

But with the KS8, you can also pick their 360 program and you’ll hear everything in every direction like Don said. Then it becomes wide open like the OPN, except that the diffused noise on the speech may not be cleaned up as nicely as can be done by the OPN. I think this is one of the key differentiation of the OPN. But whether this has value to you or not is subjective. Some people can understand speech diffused with noise just fine. Others may need more help with this, and this is where the OPN shines.

Many hearing aids now has auto sense to sense different listening environments to select the appropriate program automatically for you. Many people are happy with this as well and it makes things simple for them. It’s kinda like having an automatic transmission to pick different gears to match with different speeds in a car. On the OPN, it’s more like you only need one gear that works for any speed, so no need for an automatic transmission. But either way, you put it in Drive, and you go.

2 Likes

You can get ReSound newest HA for under $5,000. They are excellent I wear Beltone Boost Max with Remote-Phone Clip- TV Streamer and MyPal. Easy to use and plenty of power for Profound hearing loss.

Such a great summary of your experiences and functions and how it all works. Great posti. Thank you

Thank you Ken. I am entering my test results, but when i want to erase a mistake entry i am reading:

this:

“Click + Shift to remove point”

Is this hit + sign and shift?
i dont understand how to remove a point. thank you

"

Just click on Manual Entry in the lower left of the little pop up and type in the numbers manually. That click screen is a little finicky.

Barb - one thing to know when buying aids for the first time is that the life expectancy of an average pair of hearing aids is roughly 5 years. Some people get up to 7-10 years and others only 3-4 years. It does not seem to be any one brand that lasts the best but buying the most expensive does not alter the life expectancy. Consider the ongoing replacement costs when making your decision.

2 Likes

Thank you for your advice and knowledge.

Barbara

Ok . I entered my audiogram. I can hear pretty good.’c except in certain ranges and find I’m constantly saying “what?” When viewing my audiogram results, , does this Change anyone’s recommendation? I’m thinking, perhaps incorrectly, that moderate loss needs moderate HA and I don’t need certain features. Yet.

I think I’m going to try the KS8 and opn 1 and of 2.

1 Like

Hi, Barb. I’ve been in a similar situation this past week – getting overwhelmed with info. I made a decision yesterday, and will update as I find out more.

I have bilateral mild loss. I have been several places; one recommendation was opn, but I did’t get prices. Another was for Phonak B50R (rechargeable) – 2 for $4800 (5 years service, etc). I found that I could get somewhat lower prices through my health insurance “discount provider” – but that was still too much for me.

I have always peeked over at the hearing center when I visit Costco. :slight_smile: I made an appointment and went in yesterday. Their testing was even more comprehensive than my last 2 over the past week. I ordered the Kirkland 8.0 BTE open fit thin tube. I was disappointed I couldn’t wear the demos or a new pair straight out of the store. :slight_smile: Total $1599.99. I like that it’s not 1600. :slight_smile: That includes 6 month return, service for life of HA, 3 year warranty, and 2 year loss/damage coverage.

I’m rather excited.

2 Likes

You can get top of the line hearing aids at Costco for half that price. They have three year warranty (5 years if you use Costco CC). I just bought my pair of rechargable Legato Li aids about a month ago fo $2900 and love them. The audiologist was very professional and knowledgeable. You can get other aids there for less $. It is worth the Costco monthly fee IMO.

1 Like

I am excited for you! Please let me know thru this forum or if there is a PM? Not sure.

Barbara

1 Like

Good piece of info. Thank
You

Now I’m really getting into this: so much info.
Again, thank you all. Anyone live in Colorado ?

What are “click sleeves”? I’ve had plastic domes only.
If it matters, my ear canal… where dome goes iin is shallow. So always an issue with dome staying put.
And what is the word on ears that are sensitive to the domes and itch?

As I understand the ‘click sleeves’ and domes are different terminology for the same instrument.

I’ve just got the KS8.0 yesterday and tried numerous domes. I previously wore 6mm with my Oticons. Now I’m trying out the 4mm

1 Like