IIC hearing aids for outdoor pickleball?

Hi. I’m looking for a HA that I can use while playing pickleball outdoors, which I play 5 days week, usually in hot, humid weather. During those playing days, I’m not wearing my BTE HAs for around 4 to 5 hours because I don’t want to damage them as the result of large amounts of sweat and sunscreen. I also don’t like the bulky sleeves that can be put over them to protect them. Recently, I’ve found that I’m missing out on conversations because I’m not wearing HAs, so I’m looking for HAs to use while playing.

I’m now leaning toward an IIC HA, because I think they’ll fit and hold better in the ear while playing and I also like the discreet aspect of them. Since I only plan to use them while playing, Bluetooth capability isn’t important. IICs should be fine for my mild-to-moderate high frequency hearing loss. One question I have is will an IIC HA work well in picking up conversations in an open, outdoor environment.

I’m currently considering either the Signa Silk Charge&Go IX IIC or the Sony CRE-C10 IIC. I like the rechargeable feature of the Silk, but I’m not sure the price differential is worth it.

Any thoughts on any of this?

I am pretty paranoid about moisture, taking off my HAs before engaging in any sweaty, salty or dusty activity, or going to a pool or the beach. There is a reason that big amplifier in my living room has been on maintenance-free duty for +30 years, while HAs require so many frequent repairs. I just don’t trust any of those IP65, IP66 or IP67 ratings, which mostly refer to brief immersions. There is a reason this Forum has lengthy exchanges on dryers. Unless you are happy to buy new HAs every couple of years (as manufacturers are happy to recommend), I personally don’t take the risk.

2 Likes

Those models are CIC, not IIC.

You’re right! Thanks for the correction.

There is another post recently about someone looking for aids while playing hockey. You may want to see if anything came of that. I think CIC or even ITC might work, but make sure you get the full replacement insurance.

1 Like

Just an FYI that I’ll be doing a trial of the Signa Silk Charge&Go IX starting on this Friday.

Just FYI, CIC/IIC devices are more likely to get damaged due to moisture, not less, as the whole device is constantly exposed to moist environment. Then there’s less ventilation and the occlusion effect.
As a past CIC wearer I will never go back. Receivers are much cheaper to replace than whole device.
Repeating others, get light RICs and a dryer.

As a temporary solution during sports, CICs could work, and I would be less worried about being hit. That being said, some of the modern RICs hide completely behind the ear and you would have to be hit precisely from the back-top for this to happen.

I’m wearing Signias Stilettos and possibility of damaging them during sports never crossed my mind. Damage due to sweat did though, so far they’re good [my charging case dries them daily].

2 Likes

Thanks for your input! You raise good points. Since I already have a 30 day trial setup, I’ll give them a go and see how they are. I’m really hoping that I’ll be able to better hear conversations in an open, outdoor environment over around a 3+ hour period while playing pickleball compared to no hearing aids.

That’s for sure, if the fitter is half-decent. Just bear in mind that CICs/IICs are not on the same level as “full-sized” hearing devices, feature wise.
Some people cannot stand the “plugged up” aka the occlusion effect, from CICs/IICs. Mostly depends on the level of your loss.
Also, FYI, Sony’s CRE-C10 are rebrands of Signia’s Silks, if you haven’t noticed.

I play pickleball both indoor and outdoor. Outdoor in temps of upward to 100 degrees. I have the new Starkey Genesis mRIC 24s and I play in them as well. When I get home, I put them in a dehumidifier specially made for HAs. No problems as of yet.