I'd like to learn American Sign Language

I’m not sure what category to post it on but I’ve been wanting to learn ASL as a backup incase my hearing
loss decides to ever decline with age despite being stable or for if my hearing aids break down. Can anyone suggest some good videos/apps to start the process? Travelling to a class isnt optional right now due to no transportation.

Youtube
1 Like

Lifeprint.com is a good resource. Lots of free lesson materials and videos by a Deaf ASL professor in CA.

1 Like

Enjoy your learning ASL @LoubyLou… Personally, I had a lot of fun with BSL, especially in class, 'tis a great confidence booster, standing up, and making a complete fool of yourself :upside_down_face: tends you to want to sign better, to save your embarrassment, it takes time, and there is a lot to learn, eye contact, hand shape, and facial expression are all very important… Hopefully your transportation situation will improve, I would try Facebook, or other social media, perhaps someone has an online class, maybe someone in your area might be going to ASL class, and could possibly give you a lift? Good Luck, cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

The best ASL dictionary app I’ve found is this: https://www.asl-dictionary.com/. It also quizzes you on words and numbers. It’s available for iOS and Android. The same company also makes a free fingerspell quiz app, I think it’s only available on iOS.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for the links! I shall have a look at each one later today when my visitors head home :grin: