iCom paired with Jabra A7010

I recently received my Jabra A7010 and have paired it successfully with my iCom. And I have received and initiated calls from my desk phone with no problems. In fact, I love being able to talk without having to hold the receiver up to my ear, as well as being able to leave my cubicle (run to the printer, etc) while still holding a telephone conversation. At first the people I was talking to complained of my voice volume being too low, but the adjustment on the A7010 took care of that (turned up until I could just hear my own voice and then backed off a bit).

However, there is one feature that I am having trouble with and was hoping someone with more experience could help me with.

I enjoy streaming audio via the dedicated jack on the iCom, but when a call comes into my desk I can’t simply switch to the Bluetooth A7010 phone connection. When I press the iCom button while in streaming audio, it places both the streaming audio and the Bluetooth connection into pause mode. The iCom manual states that the iCom will switch out of streaming audio to the Bluetooth phone connection, whenever an incoming call is detected, but that description is in the Mobile phone section. This seems to suggest the A7010 connection is being treated as a Bluetooth stereo headset (the lowest priority) and not a Bluetooth phone call (highest priority). Can anyone confirm?

If that is the case then, when I receive a call on my desk phone/Jabra A7010, I will need to unplug the audio cable from the iCom, wait for the iCom to switch out of streaming audio mode, then press the iCom button and wait for the iCom to switch to the Bluetooth connection, all before picking up the receiver to answer the phone. Baaa!:frowning:

I have my iCom paired to a Jabra A210 for connection to my cell phone. If I am listening to streaming audio, incoming phone calls take priority just as if I was connected to a bluetooth phone. I have often wondered how the iCom “knows” that the Jabra is sending a phone call and gives it priority.
Maybe the iCom does not give the A7010 priority because it is not actually connected to a cell phone.

Gilbert

Gilbert,

That is what I am thinking - I found this in the iCom manual concerning how priorities have been set:

1. Bluetooth phone calls
  2. Audio jack
  3. FM receiver
  4. Bluetooth stereo headset

Therefore, item 1 above must refer to Bluetooth cell phone calls specifically and my Jabra A7010 must be connecting as a stereo headset, which is too bad. I wonder if my audi can re-program the iCom for different priorities?

Galan,

Neilk, in relating his experiences with the same setup, stated that he turns the Bluetooth OFF in his cell phone before turning the Jabra ON. Then his iCom connects normally as a phone.

I think.

Well, this is going to mess up what I’m getting ready to do.

I was going to have my cellphone (iPhone) available, have a Jabra A7010(on order with a handset lifter) to answer my desk phone and stream music through a Voiis bluetooth hub.

I wonder what’s going to happen with the voiis and a7010, will they argue about who gets to connect in the first place? There is a button on the voiis hub to turn it off, so I’m guessing that if I even get them both working at the same time, I’ll have to hit the button a couple of times Before I answer my desk phone on the a7010.

Seems like it would be nice if we could identify the devices and give them priority ourselves.

What would be even nicer is if the amount we pay for the iCom meant that Phonak made it a bit more capable and allowed multiple connections, in similar manner to a bluetooth headset such as the i-tech naro 601. That supports three connections at the same time (note connections, not just pairing) so you could have your deskphone, your work mobile, and your personal mobile all available at the same time. And of course you could also have your home phone connect if that supports bluetooth. That would be a fourth connection so couldn’t happen at the same time, but assuming you don’t work at home, your work connection would be droppped when you leave the office, leaving a connection slot free for home.
Phonak, are you listening? Make a great product even better!

It’s called “bluetooth multipoint technology”. The Jabra A7010 support it and so does my wife’s Plantronics Discovery 925 earpiece. She can easily switch between her cell phone & the Jabra A7010 on the land line. An incoming call from either will ring in her earpiece. I have the same experience as others - I have to disable bluetooth on my cell phone if I want to use my iCom with the land line.

I would guess one reason the iCom does not support “bluetooth multipoint technology” has to do with battery life. It is not the default setup for my wife’s earpiece for that reason. Using “multipoint technology” reduces the battery life (in standby mode) by almost 50%. That means the iCom would give about 16 hours of use, instead of 30 hours. Still - it is a trade-off many of us would choose.

Are you listening Phonak?

galan - I suspect you are correct, your iCom is paired using the Bluetooth A2DP profile for stereo headsets instead of the HSP/HFP phone profile. I think this is a Bluetooth pairing problem between the iCom and the Jabra A7010.

Is your iCom also paired with, or has it ever been paired with, a bluetooth cell phone?

Have you tried pairing the iCom and the Jabra A7010 a second time? If not, then I suggest you do so.

And if it still seems to connect as a stereo headset I would erase the bluetooth pairing relationships in the iCom as per the instructions on page 28 of the iCom manual. And then pair the iCom and the Jabra A7010 again.

There is another issue with the pairing between Jabra A7010 and Icom. I have the Jabra A7010 connected with the landline phone in the office. The sound quality is great and also the function seems to be reliable. But however there is one drawback. When I receive a call and I press either the button on the Jabra A7010 or Icom it takes 4 seconds until I can speak and hear. When the Icom is connected to my mobile phone the response time is below half a sec. When the Jabra was connected to my old bluetooth neckloop it was much faster too.

Have anyone of you experienced the same stange behaviour between Icom and Jabra A7010? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Hi Alll,

I have a Phonak -> iCom -> Jabra hub, like most of you. I use the hub in the office, and love it. I’m told that the microphone on the icom sounds better than the microphone on my office phone [maybe that means our office phones are just that bad :-)].

Anyway, in answer to the posts above, I find that I need to disable bluetooth on my cell phone before connecting to the hub. When I complained about this to my audiologist, he recommended I drop a note to Phonak. He says that every Spring, they come out with a software upgrade, and that they obviously take user comments into consideration. I would recommend writing to the here: http://www.phonak.com/us/b2c/en/support/support.html.

I am having one problem, which I wonder if anyone has any advice for: When I leave work at night, I sometimes have trouble reconnecting to my cell phone. Even though I’m way out of range of the Jabra hub, when I turn the bluetooth back on on my phone, it doesn’t connect. I’ve tried deleting the iCom from my cell, and re-pairing it, but even that doesn’t always work. Anyone else experiencing this?

Alll the best,
Adam

I am about to set up my icom with the Jabra, and was hoping to leave my cellphone also connected. Question, though: When i get texts (and i get a LOT of texts), my icom turns on as if I were receiving a call. It figures it out a few seconds later, and turns off, but it is very annoying. As a result, I keep my icom off, expect when making a call (I rarely receive cell phone calls and just call them back a second later once I turn the icom on).

Anyways, the point of that rant is, anyone know how to make it so the icom doesnt turn on when I receive a text message?

I don’t know for a fact, but imagine that would be impossible to do as the cell phone itself most likely does not distinguish between incoming text messages and incoming phone calls. It just says here is an incoming signal, Blue-tooth pass on the incoming signal.

As for some of the other posts, now that the iCom does do multipoint, I leave my A7010 ON all the time and my cell phone ON all of the time. I am experiencing some issues though where I lost voice dialing after the last firmware update that gave us multipoint phone connections and am waiting a new firmware to hopefull fix that.

PHONAK ???

As it turns out, they no longer make the A7010. Google isn’t helping me find a newer model. Anyone know if Jabra is making anything similar? My employer is very reluctant to buy off amazon or ebay, just in case it doesn’t work, we won’t be able to return it.

I feel your pain. And I cannot find any other Blue-tooth adapter for desk phones other than the Plantronics which will only work with its own proprietary headset according to their claims and people’s remarks. I would think having a Blue-tooth adapter for a standard telephone to allow you to use your everyday Blue-tooth headset to take calls from your home phone as well as your cell would be a great idea. I wonder why Jabra stopped with their great A7010 that does just that … plus allows those with hearing aids to take full advantage and be able to hear phone calls again. And I wonder why no one else has picked up the dropped game winning ball here? Now I wish I had bought 2 of them … but who would have guessed that an excellent product like that would just go away so quickly? I just figured they’d get better, not disappear.

PS. I have sent a request to Jabra asking if there is or will be a replacement for the A7010. If I hear back, I will be sure to post their response.

I imagine the market for such a product is tiny. Most people who buy hubs will also buy the headset. The %age of people who are picky about what headset they use (me! anyone with hearing aids!) is tiny.

ebay has ONE left. i ordered another adapter last week, and she wants me to try it before i buy the jabra on ebay. i hope it isnt gone by then :frowning:

I too did a load of research on this and found nothing that would allow me to connect my icom to my office phone via Bluetooth adapter.

I did see a few China buy items on Ebay but upon review found that sound and function were both rather sketchy. Coincidentally enough, the same items I am referring to now appear to be Siemens land line link to the TEK device. Hopefully they tuned the adapter so it works properly.

I ended up purchasing an ATT landline phone with Bluetooth and so far have been pretty happy. I just wish I had the ability to on the fly adjust the volume level of my icom.

Has anyone ever tried linking up the icom to Oticon’s Desktop Phone adapter? Considering both devices are Bluetooth, it seems plausible.

Now that is an answer I want to hear myself! Bluetooth to Bluetooth should work as Bluetooth is a Standard. Of course, that goes for the Plantronics as well … but I have heard that those do not work with anything else.

Hi,
I’m trying to find a solution for someone to use the Cisco phones we have but I’ve run into problems people above have mentioned where the two Jabra devices that seem to work aren’t made anymore.

The person I’m trying to get this working for has an iCom - I’ve spoken to a few suppliers and manufacturers but most headset kits seem to be proprietary to the bundled headset.
Unfortunately even when you can pair the iCom it doesn’t always seem to like it - I did a try with a software phone on a tablet PC with built in bluetooth but that didn’t actually give audio either way in a call.

Has anyone managed to find something similar to the A7010 recently, or anything else we could connect into the headset socket on a phone to pair with an iCom?

RELISTED! Comfort Contego FM loop system(Hearing Aid alternative)

Hi everybody. I have for sale a brand new in box Contego Personal Radio System with Neck Loop. I have no use for this, hence why I am selling it, but it looks like it could be a real bargain for anybody who needs this product. Any questions I am more than happy to help as I am an audiologist.

Brand New In Box! Contego Personal Radio System with Neck Loop.

Listed on Ebay as: Comfort Contego FM loop system(Hearing Aid alternative)

Comfort Contego makes it possible for the user to get the best possible reception of sound on every occasion. The transmitter has a zoom function; a directional and omni-directional microphone setting. The receiver has a built in microphone, which also has a zoom function. This means that the best possible sound reception is achieved via the digital sound transmission.

Comfort Contego has all the functions you need. It is easy to use, non-invasive and light-weight with a stylish and smart design. It also has a clear menu display system for ease of use.

Can be used in various environments e.g. home, work or leisure. Comfort Contego makes living easier for hearing impaired people.

This Contego kit consists of:
Receiver R800
Transmitter T800
Charger
Bag
Power Supply
Audio kit (pictured below- used with TV/PC/mp3) View Audio Kit
Neck loop

Designed and made by Swedish company, Comfort Audio, high product quality and brilliant clarity of sound is guaranteed.

Comfort Contego

Comfort Contego is a digital, secure communication system with a zoom microphone both in the transmitter and the receiver. The digital, coded radio transmission makes it almost impossible to intercept a conversation.

A digital radio system
The sound is transmitted digitally which means perfect sound on every occasion. This also makes it possible to have a level of security that has not previously been possible with wireless hearing systems for hearing impaired people.

Security
The transmitter and the receiver are paired by the transmitter sending a coded key to the receiver. The digital, coded radio transmission makes it almost impossible to intercept a conversation.

Microphone with zoom function both in the transmitter and the receiver
Comfort Contego makes it possible for the user to get the best possible reception of sound on every occasion. The transmitter has a zoom function; a directional and omni-directional microphone setting. The directional microphone setting effectively reduces disturbing background sounds in noisy environments. The receiver has a built in microphone, which also has a zoom function. This means that the best possible sound reception is achieved via the digital sound transmission as well as via the built in microphone.

Easy to use
Comfort Contego is small, light and comfortable to use. It has a clear menu system that you can see on the display. Comfort Contego is not sensitive to being touched.

Modern design
Comfort Contego has a discrete, modern and elegant appearance. It has a built in aerial and a newly designed neck loop.

Sounds from a variety of sources
By using a Sound kit, which makes it possible to amplify the sound from many different sound sources, you can for instance listen to TV or a stereo.

If you find out, please post. I am looking for the same thing for my Cisco desk phone which is not bluetooth enabled. I have the Costco Signature (Rexton Cobalt 16) aids which is made by Siemens and uses the Tek Bluetooth interface. The Siemens manufacturer rep was useless and did not seem to understand the question. I recently started a new job and have researched this for hours before I buy the Tek at $375. I am going to try a Plantronics headset and amplifier and try to use without aids. Hearing on the phone is an essential part of my job and I have to be able to hear cutomers. If the headset doesn’t work, I don’t know what my next options are.