iCom and bluetooth microphone

I have the Phonak Icom for trial and would like to get the best out of it. That’s why I’m curious of what is possible to connect to the Icom.

I’m wondering if it makes sense to have the iCom paired with a bluetooth mic to improve understanding of speech in noisy situations or when attending courses. Anyone who has tried this?

I’m wondering if it makes sense to have the iCom paired with a bluetooth mic to improve understanding of speech in noisy situations or when attending courses.
You, me and a few others on this forum. :rolleyes: If you find something that works, please share.

I’ve mentioned this before, but I have the Starkey Blu-Pal bluetooth microphone which I have successfully paired with the I-Com. Starkey sold this a few years back along with a bluetooth dongle that plugged into the DIA port of BTE hearing aids. Although Starkey no longer manufacturers it, you can find it on-line for around $350.00. It’s not as good as the fm mics but pretty close and it is 10 times cheaper. I’m wondering why there aren’t more of these.

I’ve mentioned this before, but I have the Starkey Blu-Pal bluetooth microphone which I have successfully paired with the I-Com. Starkey sold this a few years back along with a bluetooth dongle that plugged into the DIA port of BTE hearing aids. Although Starkey no longer manufacturers it, you can find it on-line for around $350.00. It’s not as good as the fm mics but pretty close and it is 10 times cheaper. I’m wondering why there aren’t more of these.
I just want others to know that the $350 price includes the ELI bluetooth receiver…which we don’t need if we’re using the iCom.

I just found a decent Audi and ordered two Phonak Naida IXs and an iCom. I want to do the same thing you are talking about doing. Basically an FM system or remote MIC that doesn’t cost $1000+ and works through the iCom.

Here is a solution I think might work. I will try it once I get my Naidas and recover from that financial outlay :slight_smile:

I have worked with some microphone systems for "Electronic News Gathering (ENG), basically for field audio work. They make VHF and UHF wireless microphone systems that are completely battery powered and portable. They have better range then FM (over 100’, some 200’+) and they can be bought for relatively low cost.

I don’t think the iCom will accept a microphone level signal into its 1/8" jack, but many of the ENG receivers have a headphone output for monitoring the sound. I don’t see any reason that headphone level output couldn’t be plugged into the 1/8" jack on the iCom with an 1/8" male to male cable.

Here is one lower cost example of the microphone systems I am talking about. You will notice in the specs. it has “Headphone Monitoring”…
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3656-REG/Azden_WLX_PRO_WLX_Pro_Wireless_Lavalier.html#features

Here is a slightly higher end one…
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/564527-REG/Azden_305LT_305LT_Portable_Wireless_Microphone.html

You can also get some that support 2 remote Mics at once!
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/564558-REG/Azden_325ULT_325ULT_Dual_Channel_Portable_Wireless.html

It will be a month or two before I can try this, but I think it will work. So if someone gets to it before I do, please let me know the results.

Have you made any progress on this project? I am very interested in your results. Thanks, Jack

Not yet, I actually tested a set of Siemens Motion 701s after the Naidas and I just decided on the Naidas last week. I think I will have the money to try it shortly after the first of the year, maybe a little sooner.

Thanks for your reply. I have right ear deafness. I have Phonak Audeo Yes with iCom. Still very difficult to hear passengers while driving. I have searched for a Bluetooth MIC that could be strategically placed near passengers (front or rear) and link to my Phonak. Sounds like your project is trying to accomplish something like I need.

Hi

The easiest way would be using a MLxi FM receiver that can be connected to the iCom and as the microphone you can use EasyLink+, ZoomLink+ or an inspiro transmitter.
The only disadvantage is that these FM systems are very expensive (although you only need one FM receiver - normally you would need two for each hearing instrument).

In most cases we are using CROS as a solution when someone has a one-sided deafness. So it is possible to hear signals coming from the deaf side again.
CROS can be realised using a the Phonak CROS microphone (M2), CROS cable and audioshoe for the HI.

Wireless CROS is possible with Phonak CROSLink receiver (attached to the HI with audioshoe) and CROSLink transmitter (=mic on the deaf side).
It also would be possible to connect a FM receiver (ML8S) to the CROSLink transmitter (mic) and use it together with the CROS functionality and a FM transmitter (EasyLink, ZoomLink not the plus versions!).

Disadvantage: the devices may get a bit heavy due to the attached receivers.

regards,

Rakusan -
Thanks for your detailed reply. I will share your ideas with my audiologist today. Sure appreciate your help.
Jack -