I’ve been working in a call centre 6 years and just failed a hearing test

There was another thread on here with a person in a similar situation but none of the responses were very helpful. The audiologist advised working in a call centre didn’t cause it which I’m fine accepting that but getting back on the phones and having acoustic shock I wonder if that could be doing further damage or really did do damage in the first place. I’m really depressed as I’m only 51 and he advised hearing aids and I was surprised to have him suggest getting them after Bohr called it mild.

Hearing aids are not for everyone. If you have a mild hearing loss, it might not be worth the hassle they are. Also the cost could be a barrier. That being said, many gain a lot from hearing aids, and many myths are about hearing aids are simply not true. If you wanna know more about hearing aids i would suggest searching this forum for questions you might have, and watching videos from this YouTube channel: YouTube (You’re ofc welcome to ask anything here, but most questions are properly already answered :wink: )

Hearing loss can happen to anyone at any age. I have no experience with call centres but i could imagine that like normal headphones, you can set the volume too loud so that it in length could cause a hearing loss.

If you would post your audiogram we can try to advice you on whether or not you needs hearing loss. Don’t forget you words in noise score if you have any. Here’s how to enter your audiogram.

After 50, about a third of the population has some hearing loss. So don’t feel bad about being some sort of outlier. It’s pretty common.

I’m new to hearing aids. I started reading the forum in October 2017, and got my first hearing aid in July 2018. I have “mild” hearing loss in my left ear. My right ear is fine. So yeah, I’ve been wondering whether I really need hearing aids. I read a lot here and elsewhere. Here’s my take, from what I read, and a bit of reflection on my own situation.

“Mild hearing loss” is a vague label. There appears to be consensus as to what range “mild” refers to, at least within the US. On all the audiograms I got, the range for “mild” was the same. Still, two people can be in the “mild” range with one at the upper limit of the range and the other at the lower limit. They don’t have the same hearing loss. And the audio frequency at which the hearing loss happens can make a huge difference. The same dB of hearing loss has more of an impact at 2000 Hz than at 8000 Hz. So “mild hearing loss” can have a different impact on different people because their loss is not the same.

However, even if two people have what is substantially the same measured loss, it may impact their life differently. It may be due to differences in lifestyle. Or it may just be due to difference in how their brains can deal with the hearing loss. All this to say that I don’t think the label “mild” says much about whether one person should get hearing aids or what benefits they may get from hearing aids.

I’ve been exhibiting the symptoms of hearing loss long before I was diagnosed with it: I’d avoid noisy social situations because I strained to understand people, and crank up the TV so as to prevent environmental noises from ruining the dialog. My hearing aid makes it so that I have a better time in noisy environments, and I don’t have to crank up the TV.