I need hearing aids in both ears-Just diagnosed

“The good is the enemy of the better”… meaning there is no such thing as perfect. And when some people can’t afford or for whatever reason they just can’t get to perfect, they completely opt out of all of it…

My Costco Resounds Forte 8s are not perfect…After 6 months with them, my hearing is a great deal better than my severe hearing loss… These really helped me and offered a huge savings… I’m grateful. And I highly recommend hearing aids for those with severe or profound hearing loss. It’s also called being a better husband or wife and showing them that you care about hearing them.

I’m sorry, @d-dogg, to hear your negative experiences. While I agree with many of the things you say, I disagree with others. I think you’re overly negative in your outlook. That’s weird for me to say, a life-long depressive, and certainly no “little larry sunshine”. But it didn’t take me long to view my HAs as a blessing in my life. I’m still hearing impaired, even with them, but so much more functional and aware.

When I used to visit my mother when she was 100±, yes, we could communicate if I stuck my face in hers and yelled. But, after I put new batteries in her HAs and put them in her ears, the communication was so much better for both of us, and much less tiring. Now that I’m on HAs myself (6 years and counting), I find that the people I’m with are happier when I’m wearing them and so am I. Neither of us have to work nearly so hard to communicate with each other. So, I view my wearing HAs as a kindness to others as well as myself. Then too, until I got the HAs, I had forgotten that birds actually sang in the trees in the spring and that crickets in late summer sang the evening away.

FWIW, I wear Oticon Agil Pro HAs. They sit behind my ear and a wire sticks into the ear canal. There’s an acronym for that, but I’m too lazy to look it up just now (RIC for receiver in canal?).

Yes, HAs and glasses are somewhat more uncomfortable than not wearing either. But I found in 11th grade, that I could get used to the glasses after a few weeks and that any slight discomfort was worth being able to see the blackboard in school. I had joined a new school in 11th grade, and was about a week late, so my ruse from the previous couple of years to snag a front-row seat before anyone else got into the class didn’t work. I was lost for a couple of weeks until I got those lovely glasses. Then too, I looked a bit like Buddy Holly, so what’s not to like about that?

Years later, when I got the HAs, yes they were a bit of a nuisance with my glasses, but I’ve figured out how to deal with those problems. I have plastic eyeballs too (result of cataract surgery), so have to change glasses for every activity—reading, seeing afar, seeing the computer, playing handbells, playing flute, etc—and after a few weeks, I learned how to change glasses in such a way that they fit in ok with my HAs with little fuss.

Sometimes, the HAs don’t quite fit in my ear comfortably, but it’s generally the problem of having a piece of wax on the dome. After a time or two of wiping at the dome, the wax will transfer to the cloth and the parts that go inside the ear canal fit without much discomfort.

Yeah, HAs are a bit of a pain, but less of a pain than having to flee gatherings because I can’t talk to anyone. Less of a pain than not being able to converse with my spouse in the car. Less of a pain than my having to stop what I’m doing in the kitchen to figure out what my spouse is mumbling from the dining room. Etc.

But, as the kids used to say on the internet some 20 years ago YMMV.