I guess I’m officially an old person.

I was watching the latest video from Zip Hearing.com, and it seemed unusually loud to me, so I figured that it must be blaring to everyone else. I started hitting the down volume button on my iPhone, but it wasn’t going down.
The next thing I know, the video stops, an emergency aler comes up on the screen and my phone dials 911, all the while screaming to the top of its little electronic lungs.
I panicked. I didn’t need the popo showing up at my house. There was a cancel button, so I hit that and everything stopped. Whew. Crisis averted…or so I thought. Now my phone starts ringing from one of those numbers that only the city has. Uh oh, no I’m in trouble. So I answered the call and acted innocent. The voice on the other end asked if everything was okay. I said yes, everything was just fine. I told her my phone got a little confused about which button was the volume control. She chuckled and said if you hit that down button too many times in a row it will call 911.
Bless her heart. We both know that she knows what really happened.
Last night, the alarm clock on my phone went off and I was cursing my CPAP machine and trying to turn it off.
It’s a conspiracy I tell you. Sky Net is taking over.

7 Likes

On the positive side of things as we get older we may be more in need of that sort of thing. I’ve only paid more attention to the emergency call facility on switching to an iPhone and an Apple Watch, which together offer a variety of ways that an emergency call can be triggered manually and automatically.

I’d say the neatest most positive aspect of emergency calling is that when triggered, it can even override AIRPLANE MODE and you don’t even have to have an activated cellular device with a functional SIM card in it - hence requests to donate old cell phones to battered women’s organizations.

On an Apple Watch (Gen 6, Watch OS 7.x), if you hold down the side button long enough, you get a pop-up listing Power Off, Medical ID, and Emergency SOS as the three options. When looking at the screen in anticipation of turning my watch off, I always wonder as I go further into my dotage what are the chances that someday while aiming for the POWER OFF option, I’m going to hit/pick the EMERGENCY SOS option instead! Probably when I want my diapers changed PRONTO! :slightly_smiling_face: Perhaps I’ll be using the fall detection/emergency response facility of the Apple Watch even before that?!

Edit_Update: May look up Android options - probably varies by phone OEM. But Apple iPhone users may want to be sure to have the Medical ID info filled out for First Responders. It can be done through the Health app on the iPhone and will show up on the Apple Watch. Besides your name, age, medical conditions, you can also fill out Emergency Contacts (you might want to list severe or profound hearing loss as a medical condition-maybe you’re in bed and not wearing your HA’s, etc.). The Power Off, Medical ID, and Emergency SOS options are available on the Apple Watch even when it’s removed from one’s person although the watch otherwise requires a passcode (if activated) to access other information. I should imagine well-trained First Responders know how to look for the Medical ID info on Apple devices (although I have no idea currently how to activate that info on my iPhone and circumvent the Lock Screen - a similar right side button press on my iPhone 6S running iOS 14.x only calls up a Power Off slide button, not the other two options).

Further Update: Apparently accessing the Medical ID info on an iPhone varies according to iPhone model age and iOS version. Even with latest iOS 14 versions, there is a difference between my iPhone 6S and wife’s iPhone Xs Max. If I hold down the right side Power/Sleep button and get the Power Off option, after canceling that I get a Passcode screen with an EMERGENCY option on the lower left. Tapping on EMERGENCY, I get a phone keypad screen with MEDICAL ID now on the lower left. The wife on the iPhone Xs Max appeared to hold down any two buttons and got a screen similar to the Apple Watch 6 with Power Off, Medical ID, and Emergency SOS all available immediately. So whatever your phone is, it might pay to learn to do similar. You might save your own life or someone else’s in an emergency (they collapse, you don’t have your own phone handy).

Thank you for a chuckle to start my Sunday morning! Please understand, I am NOT laughing AT you. Far from it. So glad the Dispatcher understood.

I do not own a cell phone, tried one a few years back, it made me crazy. It was a Samsung Galaxy S3. I was not able to answer it on time, so all incoming calls went to voice mail. Then I’d have to dial a bunch of numbers to get to voice mail, more numbers to play them. I could seldom find the ‘call’ button when I wanted to call someone, without asking for help. It just wasn’t worth the aggravation, I eventually got rid of it.

I am quite happy with my landline, and my answering machine. I press ONE button to hear any messages that come in while I am out. MUCH easier to cope with.

You can judge whether you are old or not if:

You fall over and everyone laughs, you are young

You fall over, people rush to your assistance and someone dials emergency, you are officially old.

1 Like

Oh dear, another sign that I had forgotten. Last February, I was out for a walk when my shoe came untied. I sat down on the sidewalk to retire the shoelace and a car stopped in the street. The driver ran the window down and asked if I was okay and did I need any help.

I may indeed be old in the eyes of others. In fact, when I look in that window over my bathroom sink, an old codger looks back, where once a young man did. But I still feel young inside. I look at my reflection and wonder how on earth did I get like that? But then I move on and forget all about it until the next time I pass a mirror.

2 Likes