I cried a little at Costco

I too have cried at my audiologists. But that was usually after I got the bill.

4 Likes

Theyā€™re saying for a flat 60dB loss. Ah, theyā€™re also saying G50.

1 Like

Many people have fond Costco to be the solution to that :wink:

1 Like

Sorry. HL on 60dB HL

1 Like

ā€œfor adults who have congenital hearing losses or who prefer a setting that provides maximal audibility of speech.ā€

Aplication of higher gain is not based on needs, but on preferences of user.
But user suffering decades from hearing loss tends to prefer lower gain.
This is reason of difference of childern and adult version DSLv5.0
It is dominantly about maladaptation and adaptation. Audiologists should try to push patient forwad to higher gain, higher UCL = wider dynamic output with apropriate compression.

I donā€™t disagree that people could benefit from more gain, but thatā€™s not how most adults are fit. Iā€™m thinking a flat loss is probably the situation that can handle the most gain as sloping losses often end up with feedback issues when the gain is pushed. Thanks for educating me that more gain than the traditional 1/3 or 1/2 is sometimes used.

2 Likes

Good idea to walk around the sttore once you get your aids and REM. I wish i had. I was super happy with my Jabraā€™s at demo trial. Once i ordered them and REM was done, i hated them. I couldnā€™t understand how they ruined what i was hearing at demo. I went back multiple times, never being happy with how they sounded and comprehension wasnā€™t good.
I found the equivalent Resound One aids for a deal and had them programmed by a cery good audi and was back to loving them. I now self program to fine tune them to how i like them.
A lot depends on the audi you getā€¦

3 Likes

Glad you had a pleasant experience! I too have a reverse slope loss where mine is moderate to moderately severe. My Costco Audi was able to program everything and said my loss was actually quite an easy one to do compared to some of the losses heā€™s dealt with.

Iā€™ll look into the hearing aids youā€™re going to purchase too as Iā€™m a bit intrigued now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A walk around a Costco store for an hour tells me one thing. It tells me whether I can hear in a Costco store with my new aids. Which is great if I live in a Costco store. My point is new aids should be worn in different environments for a couple of weeks in order for the brain to adapt

Costco can be a noisy or echoing environment and testing with known people gives some insight into the improvements.

2 Likes

Agree. Not having to ask for repeats has been an important test for me. Recently I was sitting at the kitchen table talking with a friend. Two other friends were talking in the living room about 15 feet away. I heard something one of them said (highly unlikely before I started DIY programming a couple months ago) and commented on it to the friend I was talking to. He smiled and said wow, you heard that! Programming your aids yourself must be working. Then he realized too weā€™d been talking without me missing anything he said. Feels good!!

BTW, I have reverse slope loss too (less of a slope now than 20 years ago) and git the Philips 9030 late fall last year.

4 Likes

I found that a walk around a Costco with new aids or adjustments can be very helpful, even though I dont live there. Speech in noise is one of the most challenging conditions for most hearing aid users, and especially if you have worn aids prior, you know when something is amiss.

3 Likes

Some people want to though. :smiley:

3 Likes

Holding a hand behind my ear is a dead giveaway! I was picked up by a hearing aid provider when I did that years ago in a store he was inā€¦he recommended help and hearing aids. That set me on my questā€¦

DaveL
Toronto

2 Likes

I take periodic tests with Auribus (see ā€ŽAuribus on the AppĀ Store); the tests are free and it gives you a good gauge of how well you hear.

2 Likes

Thanks for your post. Saved it!
DaveL

Yes, I feel like crying as my bill is high and I am not happy with the aids. $700 to return. So disappointed with the audiologist I have trusted.

2 Likes