Hypoacusia?

Hey guys,
So two days ago, I was reading my latest audiogram from december. I was looking for the notes she had took.
One was “Hypersensibilité possible?” (Possible hyposensibility?). Some minutes ago, I was looking for statistics on tinnitus for a project and seen the term linked with an other name for it: Hypoacusia. I did know what hyperacusia was, but not hypoacusia.

I was surprised to see that it was related with hearing loss, but cannot find that much information on it.

Do you know anything about that?

0 Likes

Hyper is high, hypo is low.

Google searches give these:

Hyperacusis (or hyperacousis) is a debilitating hearing disorder characterized by an increased sensitivity to certain frequencies and volume ranges of sound (a collapsed tolerance to usual environmental sound).

Hypoacusia means a reduction in hearing ability. When hearing loss is profound, it is called deafness. Hearing loss, like deafness, may come either from the external ear, for example due to an excessive accumulation of earwax or malformations, or the middle ear as in some ear infections, a tumor, or an abnormality of the eardrum called otosclerosis. Other hearing impairments may be due to a problem with the inner ear caused by certain medications, infections such as mumps, or certain diseases like Meniere’s disease. Certain disorders can affect the auditory nerve, such as neuroma or the progression of multiple sclerosis. To identify hearing impairment, hearing tests are performed.

0 Likes

Yeah but is there anymore informations? Because in the same audiogram, there was a note for Mild hearing loss and one for hypoacusia. But when we look a this description, it’s like the same thing, no?

0 Likes

It looks the same to me, but a medical professional like an audiologist may have some understanding of subtle differences in the terms.

0 Likes

I see, I’ll ask my audiologist when I’ll next see her

0 Likes

Hyperacusis is a reduced tolerance to loud sounds. Your audiologist would need to run some pure tone loudness discomfort testing, and those results would need to be less than 80 dB. You would be noticing discomfort in response to loud sounds in daily life that other people are not bothered by. It can often be fairly straight-forward to treat.

Misophonia is reduced tolerance to particular sorts of sounds, very individual, but often things like chewing. It has a close correlation with anxiety/depression and can be more difficult to treat. Would likely benefit from counselling support by a psychologist. Though many people have a little bit of misophonia that doesn’t interfere with their life (e.g. nails down a blackboard).

1 Like