Hurricane Laura

Well, I’m about 80 miles North of Lake Charles, and it’s getting here late tonight into early morning Thursday. Praying that it will not be too bad here. We were here during Rita, and it was bad, though we were blessed with no major damages or injuries. Hopefully will be that good again.
All prayers for this storm and areas in it’s path are welcome!

Rita came in as a cat 3 I believe, was a cat 5 at one time. It was a big storm that I believe had the lowest ever central pressure in a Gulf of Mexico storm. Laura is coming in with more wind speed at landfall. It’s a bad storm.

Laura was a strong cat 4 and the strongest to hit La in 164 years. It was still a cat 1 when it made it to Shreveport LA.It will be a tropical storm here n central Arkansas

2 Likes

And why exactly do those weather reporters stand out in 40mph winds? Can’t figure that out :grimacing:

2 Likes

Makes me think about Jim Cantore on the Weather Channel. He would get out in the worst wind and rain telling everyone about the weather. Sometimes having to really lean into the wind during some storms.

2 Likes

Looks like we have lucked out here it has taken a sharp turn to the east. We have been taken out of the storm warnings here.

2 Likes

How’s the weather there?
I suspect you are getting some rain and wind.
Thankfully the storm has been moving pretty quickly.

Just a nice rain, no real wind. And not a lot of rain either. It went south and east of us. It is now headed to the north east.

1 Like

Yep headed right for me now. I got everything lose off the deck when I got home from work in case we get wind.

Hope you all and your families stay safe. Glad we don’t get hurricanes here. But we do have bushfires to deal with, and Summer is not far away.

We get cyclones. Same difference!

Build em high and hopefully miss the eye;

2 Likes

Lands end;

1 Like

That’s true.
We humans love the water.
Interesting how a major storm will come in and afterwards there will be one well built home still standing among all the destruction.

1 Like

Not sure if New Zealand gets tropical storms that far south.
Interesting how different places call them different things.
Like hurricane, typhoon, Willy Willy and cyclone.

1 Like

That’s the sort of thing you see all along the Gulf shore of Galveston Island - just waiting for the next Hurricane Laura-sized storm. The UT System also has a medical school and medical center in the City of Galveston and after a previous big storm, Hurricane Ike in 2008, the UT System debated moving the facilities elsewhere Hurricane Ike Assessments & Recovery - University of Texas Medical Branch | https://www.lan-inc.com. Just the damage to the medical center, not even the rest of Galveston or the surrounding area, was $600 million. They decided moving the medical school and hospital would take away medical service from poorer people who lived on the island and surrounding areas and decided to keep the facilities there. Galveston was once the premier city in Texas but when Houston built its ship channel and grew, they were in decline already and the infamous 1906 hurricane literally and figuratively put them under water (I hope I’ve earned my True Texan merit badge!). Moby Dick begins with Ishmael opining how folks are drawn to the sea - with not always good outcomes …

Newer aluminum Skiff for harvesting oysters. It’s hard to find the old wooden lafitte skiffs anymore.

btw, Way down south when you bury your deceased loved ones don’t opt for the sealed coffins that keep out the bugs and worms. Why? Because after prolonged flooding from storm surge they pop out of the ground. Seriously!

2 Likes

Another storm in 1900 was the one that killed thousands. I remember a story about putting bodies on a barge to take out to sea to dispose of. Then days later the tide brought them back to the island soon the beach.
All over the world people are drawn to the sea.

1 Like

In German it had been called “Windhose” (windtrousers). But that sounds very tiny and that there is no danger. Meanwhile the news call them the US way: tornado. Although there is by far nothing comparable here like Laura (but we have very local destructive whirlwinds here)

Windtrousers…
Sounds like wind trousers. Flatulence

You probably deal with ice storms too. Seems no matter where you live in the world, Mother Nature has something for you.

2 Likes