Hurricane Laura

Wanted to say stay safe to those in the path of hurricane Laura.
Remember to hide from the wind and run from the water.
Cat 4 storm now.
It’s a bad one.

4 Likes

Here we are looking at a lot of rain and some wind

I believe the storm should be in your area Thursday night/ Friday.
Hopefully it will have lost most of its punch by then.

That’s a lot of wind moving around the eye. 148kph is quite a windspeed:

2 Likes

The hurricanes wind speed in miles per hour is 140. That converts to 225 kilometers per hour.

That will takes roofs off houses and blow many down. Add storm surge to it and it’s devastating.

I used to live in the area the storm is headed to. Still have many family members and friends there. Sure hope everyone has taken measures to stay safe.

1 Like

I was a teen or maybe out of high school, when a hurricane came up the Sabine River Valley and the area around Dallas, Texas got some where around 25 inches of rain. They had just finished Interstate 45 that ran close to to where my parents lived at the time flooded and went under water, and the state claimed not a month before the hurricane that the highway would never flood.

I was looking at the actual average shown on that attached visualisation. I realise the peak windspeed will be much greater than the stated average though.

We don’t get such concentrated cyclones here, that sort of swell/surge is going to get serious where you aren’t typically used to a 9 metre tidal range.

1 Like

Forecasts are for storm surge to 30 mi. / 48 km. inland and 30 ft. / 9 m high. They are stating it will be “unsurvivable”. They are trying to evacuate thousands from those coastal areas. Stay safe everyone!

1 Like

The wind speed is based on a one minute average I believe. Gusts are much higher.

1 Like

Today at noon centeral time the constant wind around the eye was 125 mph, and was exspected to get up to about 140 before landfall. And as someone that has rode out 3 hurricanes on the Texas coast the peak wind can go up to close to 200 mph. I was in Corpus Christi Texas back in 1970 when Celia hit and the peak winds were at least 200mph. And there were over 150 tornados that was counted. I also saw a 50 foot cabin Cruiser that got picked up in the Bay and landed over 50 miles away in a field and there wasn’t even damage that could be seen. But they had to destroy it to get it out of that field, because there was no way to pick up up and put on a trailer back then.

1 Like

Sustained winds are 145 MPH now. Central pressure is still dropping. The storm is trying to get stronger.

I am starting to feel like I need to put my boots on.
:kissing_closed_eyes:

No that was the truth I was in the Navy at the time and we had to do a lot of the cleanup and help in anyway that we could. I am like you I could not believe most of what I saw at the time. Down at Kingsville the water was about 6 to 8 feet deep in the center of town. The whole city of Corpus looked like a bomb had gone off. But I also saw why so many home there were made out of centerblocs and had almost flat roofs. They had water damage to what was in them but, most of them were cleaned up and back being lived it in a short time frame.

We are about 250 miles north of the landfall area. Expecting a bit of rain…

1 Like

Good luck.
Tornadoes and a bunch of rain can follow these storms. Thankfully it is moving pretty fast.

It is all good, lived about 20 years in the tropics. I have survived countless hurricanes. and 30 years of texas weather…I am bullet proof…(I hope)

1 Like

I heard for a previous storm along the East Coast that folks were not evacuating to shelters for fear of COVID-19. Hope folks value the immediate risk to their lives more and take shelter as advised by authorities. And it would be great if in sheltering areas, the organizers are as prepared as possible to offer help against infection: N95 masks for free might be a good enticement.

Reports are talking about a bad situation up the Sabine River from this storm. It might get bad up your way.

1 Like

They have upped us to tropical storm warn. And the rain up to over 8 inches. If the wind gets up to that levels we will be out of power for a long time. The only good thing for us here is that everyone here is over 65 so we are a high priority area.

No problem here…generators and self sustaining farm…