Hurricane Dorian

For those members in the path of hurricane Dorian, please take care and good luck.

Remember, you can hide from the wind but run from the water!
If you are on the dirty side, seek high ground.

Good luck.

6 Likes

I’m on the other side in Tampa Bay. I’m happy for us Floridians but I’m praying for the Bahamas and Carolinas.

3 Likes

Thankfully the latest reports have it turning north and weakening before landfall in the states.
The Bahama’s will get hit hard though.

I am in the Tampa Bay area. Sadly most of the 21,000 homes in the Bahamas will be wiped or severely damaged from storm surge/winds. Today’s building codes won’t withstand Cat 4 winds.

That’s bad news.
The last report shows 185 MPH sustained winds. Looks like the eye wall is hitting the Bahama’s now.
Makes me think of Puerto Rico.

I can’t imagine the horror they are living through. I just hope no lives are lost. Good luck everyone… :four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

The latest tracking models for hurricane Dorian have moved a touch more east, further from Florida.

But Grand Bahama is taking a direct hit. It will be devastating.

I’m on the east coast and in a hurricane warning, but thankfully it looks like I might dodge the full impact - that is unless the current predictions are wrong. For a while my town was dead center.

I’ve taken all the precautions, put the storm panels up, dropped the storm awnings, cranked the generator, got gas, stored tap water in glass bottles, filled garbage bins for flushing water, have non-perishable food, charged batteries, checked emergency radio, picked up loose items in they yard, and I think I’m ready.

I feel for the Bahamians, I’ve been in a slow moving eye, but it wasn’t that strong or that slow. Property damage will be great, and hopefully loss of life will be slim or none.

When this is over, I’ll donate blood. I’m sure someone will need it.

Bob

Sure sounds like this isn’t your first rodeo. We had a diesel driven light tower for back up power, worked absolutely great.

Last report on Dorian has it almost stopped. The west eye wall was getting close to Freeport. I did read about the death of a 7 year old boy and his sister is missing too.

Out of 21,000 homes in the Bahamas, 13,000 homes are destroyed. That’s 62 percent.

1 Like

I’ve ridden through over a dozen so far.

I know never to own a house that isn’t on the Eastern Sand Ridge and at least 20’ above sea level (that’s about 10% of the homes now, although in the 1960s it was 90%).

I know not to live in a 2x4 frame house.Live in a house like the ones that were made before the developers bribed the governors to water down the building codes

I know not to have a house with an asphalt shingle roof or equivalent (see above bribe statement)

And I know how to prepare and to do so before the last minute panic.After all these years I’m pretty good at predicting which ones are likely to make landfall. Preparing early means not waiting in line for gas and having my pick of non-perishable foods on stocked shelves. If the storm doesn’t come, I’ll eat the food and eventually put the gas goes in the car.

But there is nothing anybody can do when a monster like Dorian sits on top of your island for over 24 hours. I’ve been to the Abacos a few times, and there isn’t much high ground there. I suspect much of the island was washed over by the storm surge. It’s King Tide season add to the climate change rising ocean and those poor folks were out of luck.

I hope the USA steps up to the plate with aid. With our present administration, I don’t know if that will happen.

Bob

1 Like

Wrapping all East Coasters from FL to Maine in safety for the coming week. It’s the storm surge and rain that will really wreak havoc with this hurricane. Dorian sounds epic alright. :unamused:

Pff. There’s a good way to get a thread heading down the wrong road.

1 Like

Dorian slowly degrading.

Sorry about that Blue Crab. That wasn’t my intention.

Bob

1 Like

We’re in feeder bands, and the eye is about 50 miles south of us and still east over the Bahamas, so it will have to take a severe course change to hit us full force.

Last report 145mph and forward motion stalled. I’m glad I don’t live in the Bahamas.

Bob

I took a look at the record book pacific hurricanes. Dorian has already made the top 5 for different reasons. It’s tied for number 1 for wind speed 185 MPH, 297 km/hr for those on the metric system.

All that time over Grand Bahama with hurricane force winds from the north blowing the ocean into Freeport. I can only wonder how this will all turn out.

Using google search learned there have been 5 deaths on Abaco Bahama Island. Watched a video of what looked like water flowing across the island. Another video of water halfway up exterior doors and windows of a home that was 20’ off the ground. Many reports of people in attics of their homes trying to get away from the water.

Recent radar almost looks like the storm is trying to come apart. I sure hope so.

Usually if a storm stalls it deteriorates. The cold waters from below put out the fire so to speak. But the Bahamas is one of the only places in the world that has water warm enough to keep a stalled storm alive for so long.

And the ocean waters are warmer than they have been in all the time humans have been keeping measurements. So if you believe 98% of the published and peer-reviewed climatologists in the entire world, more super-storms like this will happen more frequently than in the past.

Not that they didn’t happen in the past. The Labor Day Storm of 1935 had the lowest barometric pressure ever recorded. But they just didn’t come with the same frequency as they are with warmer water.

I don’t mean to start a how or why tangent, that’s for a political forum, just that it is happening.

We’re still having gale force winds and feeder bands in coastal Florida.

When I get tired of living in a dark house with storm shutters and awnings on most of the windows and doors, I think about those poor Bahamians and realize how lucky I really am.

Bob

1 Like

I believe this is the second year in a row southern Florida dodged a cat 5 storm. The area from Puerto Rico to the Bahamas has taken a beating the last few years.

It’s funny how the the trend of storms are different from decade to decade. Some years all the hurricane name letters are all used up and other years few are used. The weather people are sure doing better about calculating the hurricane paths now.

Hurricane Dorian is starting to look like a major rain maker for the states now.