How well do hearing aids help compensate for hearing loss?

Hello everyone! :slight_smile:

After completing a lot of research on hearing aids for a class I am currently taking I started to wonder how well at best hearing aids do in helping users overcome hearing loss.

As part of a current assignment I am required to interview 3 hearing aid users on their hearing loss and hearing aid satisfaction/performance. I thought it would be interesting to compare more than just 3 responses so I created a profile on Hearingaidforums.com

If you would like to share your story I would greatly appreciate it!

The interview questions are here below (feel free to post your responses on this thread or please email them to me at jmhardman2002@yahoo.com if you prefer not to publish your answers)

How long have you worn your hearing aids?

How long before getting hearing aids did you suspect hearing loss?

Daily on average how long do you wear your hearing aids?

Do you feel that you benefit from your hearing aids?

What complaints do you have about your hearing aids?

Do you feel that your hearing aids live up to what your audiologist or hearing aid dealer told you they would do?

Did you get your hearing aids from an audiologist, a hearing aid dealer, an online hearing aid dealer or another source?

optional additional questions

Your age:

Hearing aid that you currently use:

If money wasn’t an issue what hearing aid device would you wear? (if your answer is other that what you currently use)

I am merely a college student. I do not work for the hearing aid companies nor am I special enough to be publishing any studies or statistics (plus my math skills stink :smiley: . I’m just a modest student looking to better understand the field of audiology and to absorb what you think of/about your experiences with audiologists.

Thank you for taking the time to help me suceed in my Aural Rehabilitation course!

Warmly,

Jamie

20 years straight

I don’t really know. Since my loss is a cookie bite loss (I hear highs and lows better than middle frequencies) it went undetected longer than necessary. When I started school, teachers just thought I wasn’t paying attention so it took everyone a while to figure it out.

I didn’t begin to talk until I was 3 and 1/2 years old. My parents probably thought I was just slow becuase I did everything late (I am visually impaired as well). I didn’t walk until I was 2 and didn’t sleep in a bed till I was 3. I was always behind my time

From the time I get up until I go to sleep, so like 12-18 hours a day.

I can hear stuff! I can hear people talking and understand them if they are in close proximity. I can hear al kinds of sounds and can appreciate the sounds of the outdoors (wild birds).

Too expensive and they can break. Also, I wish they could last 10 years without breaking:-)

Do you feel that your hearing aids live up to what your audiologist or hearing aid dealer told you they would do?

Yes

Did you get your hearing aids from an audiologist, a hearing aid dealer, an online hearing aid dealer or another source?

My audiologist who also dispenses hearing aids

Your age: 28

Phonak Certena

If money wasn’t an issue what hearing aid device would you wear? (if your answer is other that what you currently use)

The best one on the market whatever that is, probably some of the super high end models.

I really appreciate your time to fill this out. We just learned about cookie bite and reverse cookie bite hearing losses. Those are rare so I was pleasantly surprised to read that the 1 person that responded thus far had something other than the standard sensoneural slightly sloping mild to moderate hearing loss.

We are also around the same age (I’m 29) so it means a lot to me to be able to include your responses in my assignment. Your story is inspiring.

Thanks once more for your kindness.

-jaymie

If anyone is willing to donate time to filling out these interview questions you will be helping out an aspiring Speech Language Pathologist grad student (me:)

Thank you !

-jaymie

10 months

How long before getting hearing aids did you suspect hearing loss
20 years

14 Hours

Yes

I have to take them out at night

Yes

Costco - HIS

Your age:

Bernafon Verite

3 weeks

20 years

15 hours

I can better understand what people are saying to me, music, TV, birds and other critters sound much better.

Longer battery life

yes

audiologist

Your age: 55

Hearing aid that you currently use: Oticon Dual XW’s

1 month

Sudden Deafness - lost my hearing in Sept 09, had to wait till Jan 10 to get funding for hearing aids

18 hours

Most definitely - without them I used to come home from work at night and fall asleep on the couch by 6pm. This was due to the considerable effort and concentration required to hear people during the day.

Wish they could be waterproof so I could run and cycle with them

Yes

Audiologist

Your age:

Siemens Pure 700

If money wasn’t an issue what hearing aid device would you wear?
NA - happy with the Pure

Here are my answers

How long have you worn your hearing aids? Month or so

Years
14 - 16 hours
Yes - wifey is happy that I now speak more softly
None
Yes
Costco - Licensed Dispenser

Your age:
Rexton Cobalt 16 w/blutooth gadget

Thank you to everyone that took the time to share your story. I really appreciate the time that you have donated. You all have different experiences and responses that make you each very unique and this is what I was hoping to illustrate in my assignment.

I am very grateful for your participation.

Thank you,

Jaymie

30 years (wow im getting old) sigh

I was diagnosed when I was 7 years old

10 - 18 hours daily

Yes in some aspects I do , still feel like im missing out some days.

background noise !! voice sounds loud when talking.

yes I believe so !!

Audiologist

Your age:38

Just gone digital , with the Starkey S9 . 2 days with them now.

If money wasn’t an issue what hearing aid device would you wear? (if your answer is other that what you currently use) Implants or if money can buy new ears that be alright too! haha … ear transplant.

Chromance,

Thank you for your posting. I hear you (pun totally unintentional) I am about to turn 30 and I have to say it kind of snuck up on me. Most of my fellow students in my program are in their early 20’s. At my age my mom was married with 3 kids and here I am 30 and childless. Sigh.

Once again thank you for having taken the time to answer the questions for my Aural Rehab assignment.

-j

(deleted due to double post)

If my situation helps anyone understand what HOH folks deal with, I’m happy to reply. Here we go:

About 7 years now. (It may help understanding of some of the questions below that my loss is profound in the higher frequencies.)

At least another 5 years, though I was able to compensate by concentrating harder on what was being said.

Usually all day, though if I am performing some solitary task (especially sitting down) I will often take them out to give my ears a “break.” Given that it was likely overexposure to loud noise that landed me in this pickle in the first place, and the aids are by definition loud noisemakers, if I can safely give my ears a break I try to do so.

Yes. Many conversations would simply be impossible or very uncomfortable for everyone involved without them.

Hearing aids help. They do not, by a longshot, return my hearing to what it once was, or what I would like it to be.

When I think back to my first visit to a fitter/audi - no. When I look at the various hearing aid websites from big companies like Phonak, Oticon, Siemens and so on - again, no. These guys all accentuate the positives and make it seem that once you have your aids you are over the rainbow into the land of great hearing, full social inclusion, etc. Somewhere in the fine print they MAY hint that your expectation should not be so high, but it is certainly not the main thrust of the message.

That said, now that I’ve experienced basic, midlevel, and high-end hearing aids as well as several different audiologists/fitters, I have what I consider a properly lowered expectation. So when I make the fitter/audiologist aware that I understand the realities, I think we have a much more honest conversation. This is not to say that I think it’s all a big scam - hearing aids are necessary to my life. They are not a miracle which returns me to the land of hunky-dory, though.

I’ve tried all three. I did the America Hears thing, until the audis in my state (Washington) lobbied for new law which removes the online/mail order choice for people here. I used an audiologist for awhile. I am now getting my aids from Costco.

Your age:

Bernafon Verite

I like the ones I have now. I’d like to see more work done in bluetooth and other accessories to my hearing aids; there are a variety of connectivity situations where I feel the current products do less than current technology allows. For instance, my bluetooth device can only be paired to one other bluetooth device at a time; I can’t mix together sound from a cellphone and a bluetooth-equipped computer. I think the user interface is lacking - the bluetooth device should have a text display that TELLS me whether it’s currently paired to my cellphone or the TV or the computer. And so on. However the small market for HOH products seems to be limiting the number of such features available to us.

Phonak Naidas are water proof