How well do "Auto T-coil" hearing aids work in looped facilities

I’m in a program sponsored by HLAA which is designed to help with the issue you describe. One of the trainers under this program may live in your area. Call HLAA and ask if an N- CHATT trainer is available to speak to your community group.

The magnet simply triggers the OPN to go into the Autophone mode, which I think adjusts the gain to be more appropriate and maybe get the feedback manager to become more aggressive to avoid feedback because now you have something up close against the hearing aid.

With smart phones, however, there’s no magnet to trigger the Autophone mode on the OPN. But when I put on my headphones which have magnetic speakers, it does trigger the Autophone mode. Autophone can be turned on or off.

Thanks for the reply. I think I understand what it does. I was wondering what detects the presence of the magnet if not something like a telecoil? And if it is something like a telecoil then why not go all the way and have it as a telecoil?
I guess I don’t know what all tiny microelectronics could be used other than a telecoil to detect the presence of a magnet. Heck…maybe it’s not even the telecoil that does it and that the same detector activates the telecoil…for all I know :slight_smile:

They more than likely have a very small solid state relay or other component that reacts to the magnet. Which is much smaller than a t-coil

My Phonak Brio and iPhone 6 works without a magnet. Some how my Phonaks changes to DuoPhone without a magnet.

I guess it must be something that detects a magnetic field by sensing the induced current through it. If I had to venture to guess, I’d say it’s some kind of min/micro coil. Maybe not big enough a be a full blown telecoil that takes up the space, but tiny enough just to sense the current through a mini coil.

My previous aids had both a Telephone and a Loop program. Initially, I had the Telephone program enabled. It boosted the volume when it sensed a phone or my headphones (proclaiming “telephone”), but went in and out too much. I don’t think it helped all that much but I usually tell people to call me on the cell phone and it works very well streaming to the HA’s with the auto program. When they installed a loop in our church, about 6 months ago, I had the program changed to Loop. It worked but was dependent on where I sat, our usual spot must have been on the edge of the loop. If I looked up at the ceiling or down at the floor, it worked… but had the same effect as when I tuck one pants leg into my sock (people stay away from me). So we tried another seat and that worked fine. I recently got the Quattro’s and they don’t have T-coil but the multi-mic does. Requires carrying an extra device but it is really loud and clear in our old seats. It also doesn’t take up a program. I am very satisfied with this set up and the HA’s suit me to a “T”. The MM can also attach to other devices like a computer or act as a wireless microphone. Works very well, has rechargeable battery.

On some aids the telecoil (mode) is selected just by choosing a hearing aid program that has the telecoil turned on. I suspect this is a newer method of operation versus the kind that sense the magnet in a speaker held to the ear.

A couple of other things are worth noting, You can get “personal” transmitting loops that go around a room or even a chair so that you could have this benefit at home. This would convert, say, your TV into a direct signal into your ear via your hearing aid telecoil.

For the facility considering the loop, you don’t need to have hearing aids to benefit from the telecoil. You can buy personal receivers with headphones that will pick up the signal just as a hearing aid with telecoil does. Not sure how cost effective that will be. There are also other technologies available such as IR (infrared) or RF (radio frequency). These are common in movie theaters but you can get them on a smaller scale too.

My ReSound Quattro manual actually has a diagram showing you where to adhere a magnet to your smartphone! (but they didn’t supply a magnet in the box!). And maybe if one becomes more immobile and rarely goes out of the house, etc., a magnet would do the trick but I can hardly imagine slipping my phone in its case with a magnet taped near the ear speaker!

Yup. I made my own. Works great. I connected it to the center speaker for dialog off the 5.1 amp. Remember…loops are inherently mono.
In a couple years when I upgrade to standard bluetooth HA’s I’ll just get a bluetooth transmitter and get stereo.

“standard bluetooth” is an oxymoron. At least so far…

Yeah, something like that. I’ve heard it referred to as just “the magnetic switch”. Present, for example, in the Phonak Lyric so that you can adjust the volume with their little magnetic wand.

Looking at Phonak, just because I have their software open, they seem to have removed their phone t-coil from their most recent custom line but left the public t-coil in (weird). Their BTEs all have both. Their RIC 312T and 13 have both, but their 10 and 312 have neither.

The OPN doesn’t supply a magnet for use with the autophone mode either.

They do to us. Maybe you provider just took it out of the box as not useful for you. If other clinics are anything like ours they’ll have a gajillion magnets laying about and you can just ask for some.

My Costco Rextons didn’t have them either but the documentation that was provided shows them as included. So I got some. I never use them but y’know…

Well…Phonak is trying to do it with standards. What the manufacturers do on adhering to those standards is a whole ‘nother matter. Yeah I’m lookin’ at you Apple.

I think one difference in phone t-coil and room loop might be the sensitivity needed. I’m guessing the room loop t-coil setting would be much more sensitive to the induction loop than would be necessary for the phone tcoil.

I know a little about N-CHATT. But how would they help?
We do not need to “convince Sun City to loop facilities.” We have done that and they are doing it.
We need to COMMUNICATE with Audiologists and Hearing Aid Dispensers so that THEY make their clients aware of Hearing Loops and T-Coils.

https://www.harriscomm.com/comfort-audio-duett-new-personal-listener-with-neckloop.html

Has anyone tried this loop receiver with or without a t-coil in your home or anywhere there is no loop?

I have Oticon minRite - T, Opn 1 aids that are new. The audiologist turned on the t-coil option.

I went to our local performing arts center the other night. They have a receiver and loop we wear ( provided at no charge ). I set my aids to t-coil, but when I turned on the loop when the performance started, I could not get any connection / streaming on my aids. I wanted to check things but that upset the usher who wanted the phone put away …

I’ve tried researching for instructions on this, and have been totally unsuccessfull in finding anything. I would love to get this working since we have seasons tickets.

Any input would be appreciated.