How To Survive A Cocktail Party When You Have Hearing Loss

The latest from one of our guest contributors, Shari Eberts.

1 Like

My way to handle it is to turn the volume down on my aids and just nod and smile.

14 Likes

agreed, but you must nod knowingly. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I will try to remember these tips.
Getting newer aids will hopefully help with this situation.
I have backed off from going to these type of events. It is very hard work and frustrating. Even family members who love me refrain from visits, very frustrating for everyone!

1 Like

Thanks for these tips. Like other posters I tend to avoid parties. I’ve experimented with various settings on my aids (like switching to Restaurant mode and focusing the detection forward) to little avail. I do think it’s a good idea to tell people you’re talking to that your hearing-impaired and if you don’t look entirely happy it’s not their fault!

1 Like

I like the Phonak directional program, front facing, and then I try to position so I am facing the person with a wall behind them, or at least fewer sound sources behind them. I want the noise sources behind me and the person I want to hear in front of me. I can handle just about anything with that method.

The Rexton/Signia/Costco KS8 also has a very good directional program and you can narrow the beam down to very narrow.

1 Like

Turn up. Down a quick drink. Say hello to everyone important then leave. And yes, smile and nod knowingly.

2 Likes

I think with newer technology like deep learning, there’s definitely chance that this can be improved where human speech is better targeted for amplification.

0 Likes

Be careful with the nod and smile… they may have just told you someone died. Not always that bad but still very embarrassing. There was this lady who showed me a picture of a very old lady - perhaps her mother? The crowd was noisy and I hadn’t a clue what she was saying. Did she die, or did she celebrate her 100s birthday? I’ll never know.

4 Likes

Thanks, just set up the “Speech in Noise” as a manual program.

0 Likes