How to Protect Your Hearing Aids from Moisture

I am retired and do a lot of camping and traveling and when we travel we stay in our camp trailer which doen’t have much room and very few power outlets. And my love of ITE hearing aids is due to having them from the very first set of hearing aids that I have worn. And my only experience with BTE hearing aids was a diasaster to say the least.

1 Like

Camping changes the equation. A two-week camping trip without auxiliary power would need several charged-up USB bricks to charge up the rechargeable charger to recharge the aids, if you follow me. Probably in that situation, button battery aids are the clear choice. You must be a fan of dessicants at least for drying your ITE aids overnight when camping. The heater-fan devices would not work at all or at least as easily when camping.

I never tried ITE aids. BTEs which I have used had some advantages to me, like lower upfront cost and easier self-serviceability by users compared to RIC, which is what I’m back to now.

1 Like

My aids are in the dryer every night, and my hearing loss is military related, so I get my aids from the VA, and I have been for about 15 years. While I have the right to accept or refuse certain aids, I also have the right to ask for what hearing aids that I desire, and that also encludes extras, and supplies. My hearing more than likely will get bad enough that I need to go to the BTE or Rite hearing aids. And I always tell Audi that I want what is best for my hearing issues, and also what he or she is most comfortable with fitting. And for me for the last 10 years has been Oticon hearing aids.

2 Likes

I am a firm believer in the Hal-Hen desiccant jars. I have used them for over 20 years with great success.

I’ve had my current Phonak Naida aids for 11 years and they have never failed. They go into the desiccant jar every night when I go to bed.

I am an avid outdoors person and go for at least a 3-mile hike every day in all weather. I do protect the hearing aids with a hat or parka when it’s raining but they have gotten wet quite a few times. I have also spent a lot of time wading streams for fly fishing over the past 30 years.

2 Likes

I am also a believer in the KISS principal. No need to over complicate things. My Hal-Hen is about 1 year old now, and I still have not had a need to regenerate the activated alumina. The blue beads are still a quite bright blue.

I use them while traveling and camping, I use my dryer at home

1 Like