How to pronounce tinnitus, according to 100+ audiologists

1 Like

A friends wife who just got HA’s, pronounced it TET-an-us.

1 Like

What facebook group is that, looks useful!

0 Likes

I always thought it was pronounced like rhinitis until I heard a couple of professionals pronounce it the other way. I have since mended my ways and pronounce it correctly though I do hear others say it the way I used to. I don’t correct them.

0 Likes

Tinnitus is one of many words in the English language which has more than one pronunciation that is considered correct. If you’ve ever watched the Scripps National Spelling Bee, a humbling experience, you’ll see the 12-year-old finalists quiz the expert for alternate pronunciations of a word and often be given some.

For tinnitus, the online American Heritage Dictionary lists both these pronunciations as acceptable with the long-I-in-the-second-syllable first. /shrug

1 Like

That’s the root of the divide in the audiology community. Nice to know there is a clear winner in practice though. Now the poll has over 650 responses, with only 5 voting for the second option.

0 Likes

That voting ratio is remarkable. I hear it pronounced the long-I way not as often as the short-I way but more often than once every 130 times… which of course is not the same thing. Still.

0 Likes

HalfEar: “A friends wife who just got HA’s, pronounced it TET-an-us.”

:grin: /Emily Latella? “Never mind.”

0 Likes

I was just speaking with an audiologist who’s been practicing 28 years. He considers both right and says he actually switches back and forth. Said professors tended to vary depending on which school they were at.

0 Likes

My native language is french, so I didn’t really know how to pronconce it (and still do) but I prononce it that way: Tinn-hi-tus

0 Likes