How to Program Your Hearing Aids [DIY]

Newbies, please scroll down to find Newbies Start Here:

How to find Fitting Software to Program Your Hearing Aids [DIY]
How to choose a programming device to Program Your Hearing Aids [DIY]
How to buy a mini Pro - USB 2.0 Hearing Aid Programmer
How to Buy Programming cables, Flex Strips, Programming Pills

First Fit using your Audiogram vs REM/Real Ear Measurement:
You should become aware of the difference between self programming and professionally fit hearing aids that use REM/Real Ear Measurement. Also note that not all audiologists perform REM (so there’s that). If your hearing aids have already been professionally programmed using REM then you will want to save these important settings to a database before you make any changes to your hearing aid settings.

Specific Guides to programming specific hearing aids:

Phonak Marvel Audéo M, ReSound LiNX Quattro, Starkey Livio, ReSound LiNX 3D, Phonak Audéo B, Phonak Audéo B-R, Signia Pure 13 BT Primax, Oticon Opn, Oticon Alta, Oticon Agil, Oticon Epoq, Phonak AudeoQ, Phonak AudeoYes, ReSound Live, Oticon Chili

Free Education:

Audiology Online has free Webinar courses online. You have to become a member to view the courses but it’s free unless you wish to receive credits for the courses. Try one of the specific Audiology Online searches below, or try your own search.
Oticon Genie/Genie 2
Signia Connexx
Phonak Target Fitting Software
ReSound Aventa

Newbies Start Here:
Check that your hearing aid is not locked: by reviewing this list of known locked hearing aids.

Step 1 - Get the Fitting Software setup on your computer:
Get the fitting software setup and ready to recognize your specific model hearing aid. Do this first!! Do this before you start spending money on equipment. You will need the latest version of software for the latest model hearing aids. The software is free and “generally available”. Though, some manufacturers like to hide it, or make it very difficult to obtain. Where do you get the fitting software? There’s a link to find the software at the very top of this thread. Complete this first step before you proceed!! Are we clear on this requirement to complete this step first? You may ask what’s the reason for doing this step first? This step is a Free step. But some find this first step difficult or impossible to complete, so why start spending money for gear when you may face failure on this first step?

Step 2 - Get a hearing test:
Get a hearing test and then get a copy of your Audiogram/hearing loss. Don’t take no for an answer when it comes to getting a copy of your Audiogram. CAUTION: Hearing aids come in different models for different hearing losses (mild, moderate, severe, profound). Heed the warnings that come with power hearing aids like the following example. CAUTION: A BTE Power hearing aid is a powerful hearing instrument. If you have been fitted with BTE Power, never allow others to wear your hearing instruments as incorrect usage could cause permanent damage to their hearing.

Step 3 - Wired or Wireless programming device:
You need to choose between a wired mini Pro/Hi Pro or a wireless programming device? The second link at the top of this thread will help you choose a programming device (wired or wireless) to program your hearing aids.

Step 4 - Extra Gear (Cables, Flex Strips, etc) for a wired programming device:
If you chose wired over wireless Click a link at the top of this thread to help you find a place to purchase programming cables, flex strips, or pills.

Also, since your wired programming device is the most expensive piece of equipment, you may want to hold off on getting that wired device (mini Pro/Hi Pro) until you understand which cables you need. Most will need a pair of standard CS44 programming cables. You may also need flex strips/flexconnects, or boots, or pills to make the connection from the cable to hearing aid/HA (note - different boots for different HAs). For help try to find your manufacturer’s Programming Guide, or Fitting Guide, or Cable Guide to determine what is needed to connect your specific model HAs. Hint, these documents are usually a pdf document found in the Professional section of the manufacturer’s website. Another hint, the fitting software has helpful diagrams showing how to connect your HAs.

Self Programming DON’Ts:
Don’t use NOAH4/NOAH software. NOAH software is never required for any manufacturer’s fitting software. Professional Audiologists need NOAH software to group their clients into a one NOAH database and provide interfaces to all the different manufacturer’s fitting software. If you are a self programmer it is simpler to run the manufacturer’s fitting software standalone and not use NOAH software. Don’t use Legacy NOAHLink hardware either (a BlueTooth device worn around the neck to replace the Hi-Pro). Keep it simple, stick with a mini Pro/Hi-Pro and run the manufacturer’s fitting software standalone.

Don’t expect support from your local audiologist when you program your own HAs. Though, you can still use them for things like custom ear-molds.

Don’t expect factory support for repair when you buy used HAs. You likely will have no warranty unless there is remaining warranty and you are able to get it transferred into your name. Don’t try to use factory repair for HAs bought on EBay, as HAs that were reported lost may get confiscated. Factory repair is way too expensive anyway. You will likely need to use an online Hearing Aid Repair Lab for minor repairs or even buy a replacement HA for major problems. Both are relatively cheap.

How to find your way back here:
If you forget how to get back here, it’s easy to find your way back.

1. Click any pvc Avatar
  2. Click pvc’s main thread

Here’s a picture of how to do the first two clicks:

How to find Fitting Software to Program Your Hearing Aids [DIY]
Are hearing aids overpriced?
Connexx / Rexton ( KS7 ) for newbie
Noahlink wireless
New Phonak Audeo B90 Bluetooth Broken?
Update...do not buy used hearing Aids off Ebay, Costco
Oticon Opn Programming
Can I download Resound Linx programs myself?
Looking for advice for Costco Kirkland Signature 7.0 self-tuning crash course
Siemens Pure 3mi - Programming and Sync Problem
Starkey Patient Database
Audeo Q90 programming
New Oticon OPN 1 hearing aids sound different than the trial pair I was using
HI PRO & NOAH Please Help!
Through the eyes of a newby
CS44 Programming cables, Programming Pills (312 or 13), Flex Strips, Here!
Phonak Virto V90
Looking for Starkey 2018 Inspire for Mac OSX
CS53 Strips
Original Hi-Pro
Best Cheap CIC PAIR (under 1k)... Walmart Simply Slim CIC , IHear HD CIC , iHear Instafit...etc
50 years of Starkey - India Promotion
Distortion of high notes listening to music
America Hears Programing Question
Noahlink license

Hi, apologies I’m a newbie around here.

I’ve ben tweaking with my Phonak hearing aids for a few years now and always had Target software but recently changed my laptop and I’m struggling to locate the software to download.

I tried your suggested Audiology Online registration which I’ve done but I cant locate any download option.

Sorry to bother I hope you don’t mind me contacting you. Any help would be really appreciated.

Roses are Red.
Links are Blue.
Go the the proper place to obtain fitting software.
How to find Fitting Software to Program Your Hearing Aids.
The second paragraph pertains to you;

Sorted thank you that’s great worked a treat :+1:.

1. What version of Genie 2 (not Genie) are you using?
  2. Does the Genie Updater (in your sys-Tray) have a newer version waiting for you to install?
  3. Please describe “will not link” a little more specifically?

Take your question and re-phrase it so that it’s not so much a DIY question (it isn’t) and make it a generic question in a new topic about low voices booming in left ear. Then post it in one of the main forum categories. You will likely get professional advice in the main forums instead of advice from us DIY hackers in this thinly read DIY section.

Thanks a lot for this post ! I will now try the DIY

I’m a bit concerned about the licence to use software, my local audiologist told me that’s impossible to use Inspire software with no licence key.
Because manufacturers such as Starkey want to avoid self-programming. That’s not their business model at all. True or false ?

Very false/scare tactics. But since you have such an uncooperative Audi make sure to save your original settings before making any changes.

:closed_lock_with_key:Locked%20Hearing%20Aids :closed_lock_with_key:
Locked hearing aids seem to come from three sources (Costco, national health providers, and re-branded hearing aid dispensers). Check the Costco list below which has locked hearing models flagged in red. Government National Health Service(s) may use pin-code protection whereby hearing aids cannot be programmed without the pin code. New-anyname-franchises such as (AGX, AccuQuest, Hidden Hearing) offering anyname-hearing aids may use pin-code locks to prevent you from having your re-branded hearing aids serviced (or even recognized) by a non-franchise audiologist.

LIST#1 Costco Hearing Aids: showing (Software locked) to Costco version software:
Some models are no longer available at Costco
2011-Q1 Future/ReSound Alera
2012-Q? Kirkland Signature 4/Unknown Rexton model
2013-Q3 Kirkland Signature 5/ReSound Verso (Aventa software locked)
2015-Q2 Kirkland Signature 6/ReSound LiNX 9 (Aventa software locked)
2014-Q1 Phonak Brio/Phonak Audéo Q90 (minus EchoBlock, CROS)
2015-Q2 Rexton Trax 42/Rexton 80 4c (QuadCore/4c platform)/Siemens 7bx
2016-Q2 ReSound Cala/ReSound LiNX2 9 (Aventa software locked)
2016-Q3 Kirkland Signature 7/Rexton 80 6c (TruCore/6c platform)/Signia 7px
2016-Q4 Phonak Brio 2/Phonak Audéo V90
2017-Q3 Rexton Legato Rexton 80 6c (TruCore/6c platform)/Signia 7px, replace Trax 42
2017-Q4 ReSound Forte/ReSound LiNX 3D 9/Beltone Trust 17 (SmartFit software locked)
2017-Q4 Bernafon Zerena
2018-Q1 Kirkland Signature 8.0/Rexton 80 8c (MyCore Platform)/Signia 7Nx
2018-Q1 Phonak Brio 3/Phonak Audéo B90 (R10, R-312T-t-coil, R13-t-coil)
2018-Q3 Phonak Brio 3 R-C/Phonak B90 Direct (hear phone in one ear, other aid=Mic)
2018-Q4 ReSound Vida/ReSound LiNX 3D 9/Beltone Trust 17 (SmartFit software locked)
2018-Q4 Costco Rexton Adore/Rexton 80 8c (MyCore Platform)/Signia 7Nx
Costco hearing aids are generally minus the Tinnitus feature, or if they do have it the Costco fitters will not turn it on.

LIST#2 Recent Hearing Aid Platforms by the (Big6 Big5-Widex?):

Big5 Group Name Platform Main Hearing Aid Models
GN Group/ReSound 2018-Q3 Premium-Plus LiNX Quattro
2017-Q2 SmartRangeC LiNX3, ENZO3, Costco ReSound Forte, Costco ReSound Vida
2015-Q1 SmartRange LiNX2, ENZO2, Costco ReSound Cala
Phonak 2018-Q4 Marvel Phonak Audéo M
2017-Q3 SWORD Phonak Audéo B Direct, Costco Brio 3 R-C
2014-Q4 Venture Phonak Audéo B, Phonak Audéo V, Costco Brio2, Costco Brio3
Sivantos/Signia/Siemens 2018-Q2 Widex Evoke Fusion 2 440
2017-Q4 Signia Nx Pure, Motion, Silk, Insio, Kirkland Signature 8, Costco Rexton Adore
2016-Q2 Primax Ace, Pure, Cellion, Carat, Motion, Silk, Insio, Kirkland Signature 7
2014-Q3 Binax Motion, Insio
Starkey 2018-Q3 Livio AI Livio
2016-Q3 Synergy Muse, Halo2, SoundLens
2015-Q1 BluWave 4.0 Z-Series
William DeMant/Oticon 2016-Q2 Velox Opn, Siya
2015-Q1 Inium Sense Alta, Nera, Ria, Dynamo
2010-Q1 RISE2 Agil, Acto
2007-Q2 RISE Vigo, Epoq

LIST#3 Secondary/Re-Branded Hearing Aids by the (Big6 Big5-Widex?):

Big5 Group Name Primary Brand Secondary Brand ReBranded
GN Group ReSound Beltone
ReSound Interton
ReSound Danavox
ReSound Costco ReSound Future, Kirkland Signature 5, Kirkland Signature 6, ReSound Cala, ReSound Forte, ReSound Vida
ReSound n/a AGXR
ReSound n/a TruHearing/Flyte
Sivantos Signia/Siemens Audio Service
Signia/Siemens A&M
Signia/Siemens Miracle Ear
Signia/Siemens Rexton, Costco Kirkland Signature 4, Rexton Trax 42, Kirkland Signature 7, Rexton Legato, Kirkland Signature 8, Rexton Adore
Signia/Siemens n/a AGXsi
Widex n/a Coselgi
Widex n/a AGXW
Sonova Phonak Unitron Hansaton, Audicus
Phonak Costco Phonak Brio, Phonak Brio 2, Phonak Brio 3, Phonak Brio 3 R-C
Starkey Starkey n/a Audibel, MicroTech, NuEar
Starkey n/a Audika
Starkey n/a AGXS
William DeMant Oticon Bernafon Costco Bernafon Zerena
Oticon Sonic
Oticon n/a Audika
Oticon n/a AGXO

Need fitting of used kirkland KS562-DRW

I haven’t yet received my Noahlink Wireless but I’ve played around with the ReSound Smart Fit 1.3 software. From the settings I’ve seen when you just fire up the naive program, one defines a patient, then the next option offered is Start Fitting. is it typical of HA software if connected to an HA that it has never seen and has already been programmed somewhere else for the software to recognize that the HA has settings already and volunteer to read those settings and create a new patient in the database?? (I do see when I am done simulating a fitting to my audiogram in a mock patient that I have the option to save settings just to the software database or save the settings both to the HA’s and to database). Just saying that right now, how the fitting saved to the HA’s is imported into my copy of Smart Fit 1.3 isn’t obvious to me (more reading and study required, obviously, before playing with real HA’s!).

When installing the software, I also unchecked the options to get web updates for the software and to implement Remote Assist for myself. Since ReSound had a splash screen on which I had to agree that I was a hearing aid professional as only such are allowed to use the software and adjust the hearing aids, etc., I was a little afraid if I checked the latter options that ET would be phoning home and I wouldn’t come up as a registered audi or HIS in their database, etc - also, if I made Remote Assist go live that it might interfere with my audi’s use of it with her setup, etc.

I was also curious if you save your latest settings as set by the audi back into the HA’s before you go for a visit, whether the audi is likely to be able to tell (or is ReSound, as well)? Perhaps since Remote Assist is activated for my Quattro’s and I have given both ReSound and the audi permission to collect data on my usage, they might be able to tell if they followed what was going on with my HA’s on a day-to-day basis. For the moment, my only plans are just to read my HA settings and if I can momentarily adjust the HA’s without overwriting the settings, see how any tweaks affect my listening experience and then make requests when I visit the audi.

One of the more fascinating features of Smart Fit 1.3 is the MEDIA PLAYER. I wandered into an area of the program where I could try different hypothetical fits and with the MEDIA PLAYER play sample speech and music audio tracks to see how the output matched the proposed fit. And I see in the PATIENT INFORMATION collapsible sidebar, there appears to be an option to connect to the patient’s HA’s, then use the media player to play the same samples into the patient’s HA’s so that the patient can provide feedback on what the samples sound like with their HA adjustments. It would be very cool, but I guess not possible, if one could create one’s own stereo audio tracks of environments and give them to the software to play to be able to make adjustments to one’s HA’s for a particular environment “back in the lab,” but I guess if that made sense, some OEM would be employing such methodology already - and REMOTE ASSIST is undoubtedly a far more realistic, easier way to go…

Thanks for all the good work, @pvc! I really appreciate it all the more now!

When you Detect (instead of Simulate) your hearing aids/(HAs) the fitting software reads your HA settings, determines if those settings differ from the database, and (if different) queries you about which settings you want to use.

No point in remote assisting yourself.

Don’t worry about ET phoning you. It doesn’t happen.

Yes, you Audi will know that you changed your HA settings, even if you save and restore your original settings before returning for an Audi visit. How? Because the HAs date-timestamp no longer matches your Audi’s database.

You might try to find the location (in your computer files) for the fitting software media player library, then add/copy your own audio files into the library location to see if the software recognizes the new content? It may not be that easy. But you never know unless you try. Pay attention to the audio file extension types (.MP3, etc).

Thanks for the great and very helpful advice!

I can find the Media Player sound files under the Common Folder\MediaSoundFiles for the Smart Fit and Aventa software in the ReSound software download. For Windows, they have the .wma extension and play by themselves in the Groove Music app in Win10. For each file, there is also another identically named file with a .par extension that contains a lot of numeric data as viewed in Notepad, e.g., first few entries in one .par file:

Guess if I add a new .wma file and play it with the Smart Fit Media Player, I can see if a corresponding .par file is needed or created to go with my self-generated .wma file. A Google Search on “.par ReSound” and similar does not turn up much.

This is getting off topic so I created a new thread for .par file extension.

Hi

Please send to me Unitron Unifit software, I need it.

Thank you!

Roses are Red.
Links are Blue .
Go the the proper place to obtain fitting software.
How to find Fitting Software to Program Your Hearing Aids .
The second paragraph pertains to you;

I have Phonak B90R aids that I need to program. I have Noahlink Wireless and Target 5.4 software but I cant get the program to access the aids. I get an error message
Fitting device is not compatible with the hearing aids.
Any ideas?

Trying to program Phonak B90R aids using Noahlink Wireless