How to interpret this hearing test?

An old neighbor of mine went for a hearing test at Costco. Supposedly he got no explanation that he could understand about what the test shows. I am not used to seeing this kind of results, my audiologist provides something that I can understand. I will try to attach a copy of what he got and I’d appreciate it is someone who can interpret would tell me (in easy terms) about how bad the hearing loss is in each ear as compared to “normal” and if lower or higher frequencies are those where the person has most problems. Thanks in advance.

Sorry, if this is not how to include a JPEG, please let me know how to do it.

0 Likes

Sure looks like a REM, real ear measurement, test and results.
Each curve, 1, 2, and 3 are for different dB levels.
Costco does it right.

0 Likes

OK, it is “REM”, but if so, what’s the “translation”?

0 Likes

If you are looking for the traditional audiogram I think you need to mentally flip the graph from top to bottom (140 at the bottom, 0 at the top). The light gray line with the circles will be the right ear. The line with x’s will be the left ear. On a traditional audiogram the graph runs from -10 to 120. On the one pictured the span is 0 to 140.

Would someone please correct me if I am wrong here. This is a guess on my part. I don’t know what the other lines represent at all.

See MDB post below. I am incorrect in saying what I did here.

1 Like

I don’t think you can derive the traditional audiogram from this in a simple manner. Basically the “translation” of this data is that hearing aids have been fit fairly closely to NAL-NL2 prescription based on the audiogram. However we don’t have the audiogram. The numbers shown are the output of the hearing aids as measured in the ear.

1 Like

Thanks for that correction. I will make a note in my original post that my interpretation was wrong.

0 Likes

To add a little more information the 3 curves are typical dB sound for REM. The 55, 65 and 75 represents low sound, medium sound and loud sound in dB at different frequencies. By adjusting the aids to these three dB levels at each frequency you get a much better fit for the prescription for that person with the molds/domes used.

0 Likes

Thanks a lot for the clarifications. Now I understand why these graphs are different than my audiograms, as they are not an audiogram. I will tell my neighbor to go back for a hearing test if he wants to know more about his hearing problem.

0 Likes