How to disable streaming of iPhone touch sounds to my Phonak Marvel?

I just received the Marvel 312T hearing aid connected to blue tooth. However every time I type a text message from my iPhone the hearing aid sort of shuts off and I hear a click for each letter I type. It must be due to the Bluetooth connection, which I like for phone calls, but is there a way to turn off this clicking? Also when I get a text message a get a loud beep in my hearing aid.

Notifications in your phone can adjust these clicks and beeps or turn them off completely if you want.

If you go into settings on your phone and Sounds and Haptics it gives you the option to turn off keyboard clicks. I agree it’s very annoying. You can also turn down the alert sounds here or you can turn them off altogether.

But to answer your question, nope they’re no way of telling to HAs from which apps they are allowed to take sound information or something. It’s all or nothing.

If you use BT only for them, workaround is that you turn off the BT until you need it. But then, you won’t be able to change programs or volume either.
So you might disconnect only regular BT but not two BT-LE connections, but that needs several more clicks.

Or if you’re tech savvy, you might create task in Tasker, IFTT or similar of they’re able to control that. I still haven’t tried that so I can’t share the reliable info.

Also, you can choose (probably, don’t know how iphone works) if you want them connected as media and calls or only one of that (eg calls until you want media).

Notifications are media if I remember correctly, since calls is specific one.

Here’s an Android spin on Blacky’s excellent explanation as I have found the following workaround quite useful. In a nutshell, it allows for phone ringing information to pass and nothing else. Although this is Android-centric perhaps iOS has something similar.

The first screenshot shows my hearing aid related connections. Note the LE connection is for both left and right devices, whereas the traditional Bluetooth connection is for the right device only. This is because the right device was set up as the primary device when my hearing aids were fitted. The LE connections allow for the MyPhonak app to control my hearing aids, whereas the traditional Bluetooth connection passes the audio and telephony information back and forth. MyPhonak is responsible for volume, program, and tonal adjustments.

The next screenshot shows how I have configured the traditional Bluetooth connection. In this case, I’ve set it up for calls, but not audio. The upside is that only call information, including ring notifications, is passed to the device, and I’m not interrupted by any other sounds or notifications. The downside is that I can’t listen to music or use softphones. I find it easy enough to turn on the audio portion of the Bluetooth when I need its functionality and off again when I’m finished.

Hopefully iOS has something similar.

2 Likes