How to control my hearing loss

I am 25.5 years old right now and using cic hearing aids. I have moderate hearing loss in my both ears. And this passes me from my mother. But i am satisfied with my hearing aids now. I am actively doing work like normal people in a software house, but in some situations i got some problems. But means i am enjoying like a simple man. But my question how can i keep my hearing loss to this level till i am 50 years old or even 60. How to keep my ears active or any food for good hearing. And is this possible to stop this hearing loss to my children after my marriage?

Hi, I have moderately severe loss with Evoke 440 ITE customs. I am in my 40s and have worn Widex for nearly 25 years, and people wouldn’t know I have a hearing loss. I trust Widex to give me the best level of sound and it comes with the correct set up. With the ITE/custom I have two microphones in each ear front & back giving the “surround” sound so I get hearing all around me. Genetic testing via your health care provider will research if it’s likely to be passed on. One of my children has the F2 ric 440 Evokes and loves them. We both do everything without issues, ie concerts, musicals, studying, cinema, travelling, parties etc etc. I understand your question as at this stage you have lots to experience with a very wide range of hearing situations. At night I wore one older Widex aid turned down to hear the children. I did try other hearing aids but nothing came close for me, I need hearing in many scenarios (which we all want)-neither of us use assistive technology as our set up is so good. I won’t compromise when I know it’s there for the taking. It’s all about the hearing aid specification and capability along with the set up. I lost my dispenser and had trouble finding someone who did it right. With Widex their technology is incredibly accurate. Once the dispenser used the sensogram (never REM for Widex!), vent size selection and feedback calibration the “spine” of the hearing aid is set and my speech comprehension is as good as it’s ever been with no adjustments to the prescription. Custom fit will take you to the highest level but I see you already have that. If you want to try a more “surround” sound you may like to try the custom or IP, or ric. For me it’s like in the cinema, you have one speaker either side or 2 either side and it makes a big difference.

The main thing you do is to avoid loud noises and to use hearing protection (ear plugs/over the ear) when exposed to noise. For future children–same thing, avoid loud noise.

It sounds to me that you have Otosclerosis?

I was diagnosed with this in my early thirties. I am now 71 and I have been wearing hearing aids for almost 40 years. When I was diagnosed I was told that further deterioration in my hearing would likely be slow and this has proven to be the case.

My hearing is obviously now worse than it was then but I have been able to get through life wearing hearing aids. (I opted not to have any operation because of the risks of failure.)

There are times when it is a nuisance but most of the time I get by with few problems. Some people who speak very quietly can be hard to understand (you’ll know who they are) but when I am in their company I just tell them I am having difficulty. Remember that they can do something about it, you cannot. ;o)

I do replace/upgrade my aids every few years so if you can afford to do this you should be OK.

Wear your hearing aids to allow your brain to continue recognise sounds you wouldn’t hear without them. Protect yourself from loud noises (bearing in mind that a potentially damaging volume may not sound loud to you without hearing aids) not sure there’s a way you can prevent genetics but the technology and hearing screening for babies and children is pretty good in a lot of countries now (not sure where you are). There will be some natural progression, hearing is something affected by the ageing process