How to buy a mini Pro - USB 2.0 Hearing Aid Programmer [DIY]

Sorry, I chose the wrong word there when I said Remove. If I right-click the yellow-triangle line in Device Manager and choose Uninstall Device, unplug it (hearing an immediate Windows disconnect chime), reboot, and plug it back in, the above happens. I do not see a window about a new device found in the lower right. There’s an unusually long 25-second delay after I plug it in before Windows sounds the new-device chime, and then the yellow triangle line appears under USB controllers in Device Manager.

I plug mine in watching for things to change under ports or usb in device manager. I get a Hi-Pro USB under ports (and its com port…happens to be 1…which I set) and the same under usb. I just get a power light…nothing else.

Perhaps you might want to System Restore from before you started with the minipro?

Sorry I take it back. I do see a HI-PRO device in the USB Controller group in Device Manager, in addition to the Port (COM & LPT) group. I was looking in the wrong USB Devices group for it, and it wasn’t there.

I have a FittingLINK 3.0 (Oticon wireless programming device) and I found it in the USB Devices group.

I’m beginning to think that maybe your MiniPro is defective if your Windows 10 device manager says that it found an updated device driver for it but it’s still not recognized. Especially if you already tried it on 2 different Windows 10 PCs already.

Either that or your MiniPro has an older firmware that needs an older driver instead. But you would have think that newer drivers should be backward compatible to older firmware devices as well. But who knows?

Then when I attach the aids and connect to them with the fitting software…the pc light flashes as though data is being transmitted and each side flashes in relation to that.

Thanks for checking, guys. Maybe it’s the USB cable that came with the MiniPro. I think I have another one of those around somewhere. Let me see if I can find one.

I dread the thought that this device is defective. The high cost of overseas shipping is a key issue with dealing with Chinese electronics companies, and you still don’t know if you’ll have a working one when you’re done doing a warranty return.

I started looking around and realized where I’d seen that type of USB cable before… it’s a USB printer cable, aka USB Type A male to Type B male cable.

So I Uninstalled Device, rebooted, unplugged a known-good USB printer cable from a printer and swapped it into the back of the MiniPro, and this time got an immediate (no 25-second-delay) new device beep from Windows and then the same yellow triangle. It’s not the cable.

COM3…

[Settings]
LanguageWIN=HP…WIN.UK
TraceEnable=NO
COMPort=COM3
UseUSB=NO
SwPort=NONE
AuricalSwitch=NONE
Baudrate=19200

Should I try editing it to something else? I was surprised to see that file there since I never had a successful install.

Follow the link above and run that HI-Pro2 Install CD and see what it tells you.

Thanks. Uninstall Device, reboot, plug in MiniPro, wait for Windows beep acknowledging the plug-in (but still no New Hardware Found screen)…

Running Hi-Pro2 Install.exe after a brief delay generates a No Device Found screen from this program. Uninstall Device in Device Manager, switch cables, wait for Windows beep, hit Retry Device Scan in this program, still No Device Found.

Are you plugged into a USB Hub? Maybe try a different USB port.

Hi Pro Configuration finds mine right away (after a few flashes of the PC light).

Thanks. No USB hub. I’ve tried two different USB ports, one a USB2 and the other a USB1.1, and two different USB printer cables. The PC LED on the MiniPro is not flashing or illuminating. The Left and Right cable ports briefly flash red whether or not CS44s are attached to them.

I truly appreciate everyone’s troubleshooting assistance. I know you’ve all been there, too, dealing with hardware and device drivers not working right in Windows. I’ll take some time off and consider how to proceed among a number of potential time-or-money-wasting choices.

Make sure nothing else is claiming com3.

Plug the usb cord directly to the motherboard which would be one of the ones on the back if it is a desktop.

Try each and every USB port.

Manually change it to com1, 2, or 4.

The nuclear option is kicking other devices off their com port if it is between 1 and 4 then using that.

It shouldn’t be necessary but you may have to clear out old hi-pro and mini-pro registrations using Regedit. If you don’t know what regedit is then don’t even try to do this; you will screw up your computer.

I don’t think his issue is the COM port issue >4. I don’t think he even got that far. For some reason the Windows 10 built-in HiPro driver is not working for his MiniPro. But it’s most likely not the driver, more likely his MiniPro having some issue.

When I selected the properties of the HiPro in the USB Controllers group in Device Manager, I got the following driver version 2.8.28.0 and it says that the Driver Provider is FTDI. Is that the driver you have, @hamjor1?

The driver data is 1/18/2013 so it’s a 4 year old driver.

Let’s remember he says he has a usb 1.1 which means he is dealing with old hardware.

I think your PC chose the wrong driver which is similar to the mini pro hardware,
I often find this error when I testing smart phones.
Please manually find the driver of mini pro on your PC.

I think he said he has a MiniPro USB 2.0 device sold by Ali Express. The USB 1.1 he was talking about was one of the USB port on the computer that he tried. He also tried it on a USB 2 port on his computer. I don’t know if the MiniPro works on the USB 1.1 port or not, but I think it should work on the USB 2 port.

Hmm…just to muddy the waters some more…having got the gear from the same place as Volusiano at about the same time…I have version 2.6.0.0 from 2009/10/22. It seems to be working fine though.
Edit: So I just did the Update driver deal and it gave me 2.8.14.0 from 2011/03/18.
Edit again: And it seems to work fine still.

I think your issue of having an older version of the driver is not related to the MiniPro but is related to which Windows system you have installed on your PC.

When you updated the driver and got a newer version, but still not as new as what mine and PVC’s shows, it implies that maybe you’re not on the latest Windows 10 OS, that’s all. So whatever Windows version your PC is not only allows you to update to the driver 2.8.14 only.