How to buy a mini Pro - USB 2.0 Hearing Aid Programmer [DIY]

I emailed BuyHear, as I did not find a mini pro programmer listed on their website, asking for a price with connecting cables.
I received a quote, a day or so later, for $250. No mention of shipping or how to order or anything else just $250. I called the phone # listed on the website and asked how to order. They took my order by phone. I received a confirmation email stating a 10 shipping estimate. I called 10 days later to check, as I had heard nothing, and was told it was shipping that day.
It arrived by Fedex with CS44 cables and a pair of Flexconnect strips. Their was no addition charge for shipping. It was very well packed and came with a disk labeled MiniPro Software. I plugged it into a Windows 10 PC using a powered HUB connected to a USB 3 port. Windows instantly found the device and automatically installed a stock Windows driver without using the Mini Pro software disk.
It works as intended with no additional software other than the Genie 2 programming application.

The CS44 cables are a pain to connect to the Flexstrip connectors due to the very small pin connectors. They also take more force to connect than you might think for such tiny delicate connectors. There are tiny red dots to be lined up on each part but it is a delicate operation, regardless. Inserting the Flexstrips into the Aids is somewhat tedious also.

Plugged in the cables to the Mini Pro and the USB into the computer, ran the Genie software and everything works fine.
I haven’t looked on the Mini Pro software disk to see just what it contains but if some wants to know I can did up a CD/DVR reader and connect to a computer.

I am very pleased that I decided to buy a programmer. My aids are new OPN’s programmed by an Audi. The first time I tried making a few of changes the results are much improved. I did not think I would ever hear this well again!

2 Likes

Are you in the US? If so that sucks. They started out at $175. Then it became $225 and several people jumped in (myself included). Then we heard of $300 then $250 and talk of shipping. But they seem to provide “free” shipping in the US.
But yes I also had a fine purchasing experience with Buyhear. If Audiometrix had stock when I was interested in pulling triggers then I would have bought the real deal from them for $175.

@pvc: And now there’s the new arrival Aurem with even cheaper cables.

Says they’re sold in pairs. Not sure about the flex strips.

I wondered about those numbers. They show 3 variations. 3, 2 and 8.

Edit: I PM’d Aurem and they said the flex strips are singles. So their cables come to about 10 bucks less than the other site we know of.
Still nice to buy as a kit kind of thing from Buyhear or Audiometrix though.

I’ve followed your example and done the same thing…quoted $300 US by Adam Caviness.

Close to $400 Aussie dollars but. Fingers crossed I have the same experience!

I ordered the programming kit from buyhear.com for $300 and received the items in the photo. Works fine with my new Opns. Very good communication of order progress and shipping speed. Now I want a wireless method and am wondering where @pvc got his Noahlink.

Man! This sort of kit started at $175 with them. Then it became $225 when several people bought (myself included). Then we’ve seen $250 and $300. Yikes. If the aliexpress seller would ever sell at $175 again then the set could be put together for about $230 otherwise. Buyhear’s being a little too greedy for my liking. There’s another seller but I won’t mention them.

Yes, I looked at the cost piecemeal and it was about the same after you get the cables. Plus the Aliexpress website unnecessarily demanded personal info which I was not going to provide. Unknown other seller responded with assertion there were performance issues with USB miniPro and suggested serial version Hi-pro for $175 or USB Hi-pro for $300.

My USB miniPro was immediately recognized by Windows 10 and there have been no problems with it. It seems slower than audi’s Noahlink but I have plenty of time.

If I had known about the serial Hi-Pro availability then I would have preferred it over the minipro if only because it’s the real thing. But as you saw, the minipro works perfectly fine so whatevs.

It doesn’t seem so expensive compared to going to an Audi, unless it’s free for you. Plus the ability to make as many changes as you like and experiment, That’s worth a lot, at least to me. I never heard as well until I began doing my own settings. It’s also nice to learn and understand more about the disability. Many great people here with a lot of knowledge and willing to help and share. Not saying it is as easy as pie or simple to do. Somewhat fulfilling not to be dependent on someone. Don’t recommend Self Brain Surgery via Youtube but the worse you could do here is mess up the programming and have to have someone straighten it out for you. Even then, at least with the Oticon Genie, software you can just select the basic program. It works very well and is a good place to start.

A new mini Pro with cables and boots for Starkey Z series RIC from BuyHear.com with shipping now costs $330.

Man! Those guys are getting worse and worse.

Yeah, you can readily get a mini Pro on eBay for $215 to $230 including shipping from China, but another $99 for the purple programming cables needed for Starkey HA’s plus another $35 for black programming boots and the total separately comes to $350 to $365, so BuyHear is getting closer and closer to matching the separate pieces pricing. But from reading through the past couple of years on the forums it looks like the mini Pro prices have also been rising. It’s not cheap to self program, but some of us just can’t stand not being able to tinker with things. I found I get a better fit doing it myself back when I had HA’s from Sonic Innovations, and now can’t wait to see if I can do it again with Starkeys.

1 Like

Ok I don’t know about what all is needed for Starkey’s but for my setup of CS44 and flex strip pills it came to $225 from Buyhear. Much better than putting it together with the then current pricing.

Hello everyone. I have Starkey Muse CICs I wonder if the Flexconnect strips pictured above are as good as the orange flex strips required to program Starkeys.

No they are different. One is 3 conductor, one is 4 conductor.

Thanks there @pvc for the clarification. So I too have been quoted $300 to get the minipro plus cables from Buyhear. I have asked for the orange flex strips and they confirmed that it will be included. I just wanted to ask if someone has so far ordered orange flex strips for Starkey CICs from Buyhear and they turned out as expected? Thanks for all your help everyone.

You should check your hearing aid model against the Starkey Cable Guide.

Thank you. I did. I need a pair of CS44s and orange flex strips. Just wanted to make sure that someone has experience with Buyhears orange flex strips for Starkeys. All pictures I see above are of flexconnect strips which as you mentioned do not fit my Starkey, so I hope they don’t confuse them. Hence the apprehension.