How to breathe new life into old Resound CC4s?

I have two pairs of Resound CC4 CICs. I bought them both the same time, circa 1999, for fear then that if I lost a pair I’d have the other in a jiffy. I’ve changed between them every six months so together, they’ve had approx. five years of use each though they are over a decade old.

I’m looking to buy a new pair of aids for four reasons:
a) the audiologist from whom I bought the CC4s terminated her relationship with Resound and advises against them/their products;
b) she says she does not have the software to reprogram the CC4s and says Resound isn’t being responsive to her. I don’t know if she asked them or not…
c) my hearing loss has worsened in the lower frequencies (I have a reverse slope loss) and she says they are incapable of handling my new curve and I need new devices.
d) my CC4s can be my contingencies whereas the new ones I buy would be my primaries.

She did reprogram one pair over a year ago but now when I wear it, they squeal (both ears) when I chew/talk/etc. Unbearable and she says she can’t do anything about it as she now doesn’t have the software: she claims she upgraded to a new version of Windows and Resound didn’t provide their software for programming the CC4s for the new OS…who knows?

The right of the other pair went quiet a couple weeks ago. It (and its left cousin) need to be reprogrammed for the lower frequencies.

I’m looking for suggestions for where I can have these CC4s reprogrammed, cleaned up, etc.

1. Would you know if Resound can do it for me? Has anyone had experience with Resound on this? Is anyone from Resound reading these lists and able to step in to help?
  2. are there reliable third-parties that can execute what needs to be done, if the manufacturers aren’t stepping up and the audiologist is claiming inability?

Thank you for your help and suggestions!
Essar

[Funny responding to one’s own posting…]

Many views and not a single response?

Could be I’m just paranoid, but I see your audiologists sudden inability to program an instrument she has worked on for 10 years as her helping you to decide to open your wallet to her for new instruments. I would twist her arm in a polite way, perhaps lead her to believe you are not happy about her inability to program the old instrument and you may develop a relationship with another audiologist who can!

To answer your questions…

1. I cannot believe a corporation would/could get involved for reprogramming an individual instrument.
  2. There is no doubt someone who can reprogram this instrument, and it most likely includes your present audiogolist!

Thank you, Zafdor; your instincts are right in that my audiologist has been pushing new instruments at me. She, like some, has short memory, I guess, as I paid her over $10K in buying two identical pairs; at best it is a distant memory for her, it seems.

She pushed devices at me (Siemens Rexton Cobalts, Oticons, etc. but not Resound with whom she had a falling out) and was afraid I’d hear of/go to Costco which is exactly what I’m doing now as I can get those same devices (if not Oticon, then Bernafon…) at half the price she is quoting me.

Costco called me yesterday to inform me the new Resounds are in. They call them the Resound Futures and it’s the Aleras: RITE models, with three wireless accessories. $1400/each, with extra for the wireless accessories…Maybe they would know who can reprogram my CC4s.

Does anyone know of independent businesses that reprogram/clean up/tune up (e.g., replace microphones, speakers…) CC4s and other such “old” hearing aids?

I’m with her on this.

The quality of what we are dealing with here is shocking. What’s almost as galling is the company dumping volume product into the NHS at £51 a pop. Looks like the retail sector gets to prop the price there too.

Ten years ago they made some good products, now though…?

The thing that is funny is that the Resound Software is/was available for download on the internet. So, for her to say she doesn’t have the sofftware is silly at best.

So, is she saying if she had the software she could program them? Walk through the door of her office and call her bluff. Hand her a CD with the Resound Software on it.

At some point you’re going to want to upgrade those bad boys… You don’t know what your missing!! :wink:

Yes, MAJ, I’m looking to buy a new pair. I’d like my current CC4s to be the spares, for contingency use (and for wear in situations I don’t want to risk the new pair). Hence the need to recondition/reprogram/refit the old pairs.

Clearly the audiologist who sold me the CC4s wasn’t inclined to help me. Clearly she was pushing me to buy another (new) pair. As I see it she had an opportunity to help and cement the relationship; instead she adopted an unhelpful, disingenuous attitude and blatantly steered me toward a transaction. How silly indeed! this from someone with whom I’ve done $20,000 worth of business in fourteen years. She lost her credibility with me, consequently she lost my business, and I’ve taken my business to Costco where I’ll buy my new pair (and guess what, the audiologist there says he’ll help fix my old CC4s).

I too had a GN Resound CC-4 and I loved it, and later found out it was an audiophile aid, that is it amplified frequencies far beyond the range of usual hearing aids that usually are limited to typical speech frequencies. I know where you are coming from. That was the best hearing aid I ever had, terrific sound quality. I must confess, though, it did not work well in noisy environments like restaurant tables. On the other hand, nothing I have tried since does, either.

When the aid got stepped on, I too was crushed. Then I discovered there are several places that repair these. I chose Hearing Haven in Texas. They did a perfect job on the case (I still had the original canal cast). Cost a bit over. I was amazed. Cost just a bit over $300. However, the programming was not good at all, much too loud and quite distorted. The programming stick I have got the volume to an acceptable level, but I wound up sending the aid back under warranty for reprogramming. I sent them a current audiogram each time, but it was if they ignored it.

The aid came back maybe a bit better than before. Still too loud initially, somewhat less distortion, but now the batteries lasted only a day or so. I found another repair facility and tried again. Now the distortion is less, the volume loud but easily adjustable, although the batteries still last only a day. The problem is one cannot visit with the repair people or even know who they are, so there’s no explaining what’s going on.

I did find someone in Leavenworth, Kansas, who said he knew all about the CC-4 and could program it for me but I would have to bring it to him if I wanted custom programming. He seemed to know his stuff, that there were two versions of the aid and two different programming cables, and if somebody used the wrong one it would torch the aid. I say he sounded like he knew his stuff, but I was twice burned and didn’t want to invest any more, so I am now on the lookout for a more modern solution.

I’ll try to get you this guy’s name if you want it.

You probably well know this already, but audiologists think one is crazy to even have a 10-year old aid, let alone expecting them to program it.

Pretty much everything involved with buying aids and getting them programmed is pretty scary if you ask me.

Best of luck with the CC-4’s and let me know if you want me to see if I can get a line on that Leavenworth guy again.

Ken

Thank you, Ken, for your detailed response. I too like the CC4s a lot. And yes, while they were very good–musical I’d say–for most anything I found for the (relatively few) times I was in a cafe the CC4s didn’t handle the clatter of dishes in a cafe.

Only Resound can explain, and I doubt they have a good explanation, why they stopped making CC4s and its successors or, more importantly, the apparent drop in quality and reliability of products from the company since the CC4.

Would you mind sharing the contact info of the person in Leavenworth, KS? I’d like to try him out for at least one of the two pairs I have; that is, if my Costco audiologist is unable to fix the devices.
Essar