How powerful are Phonak Naidas?

I have been waiting for the Naidas for months, but now that they are here, my audi suspects they may not be powerful enough. I’ve been told that my loss is classified as severe to profound, but I suspect it’s just plain profound. The label really doesn’t matter, here are my audiogram results:

Freq.Left.Right

250…40…70
500…60…70
1000…70…80
1500…100…80
2000…115…80
4000…120…95
6000…110…90
8000…100…95

Speech Audiometry
Left SRT-65 SDS 48% and 90dB
Right SRT-70 SDS 84% and 95dB

Can anyone tell me if these new aids might fit my loss? I wouldn’t ask if I could find a Naida fitting guide, but there is a paucity of information out there. Thanks.

Hi Wannart,

I have just completed the online training for the Naidas and they should certainly have enough gain for your hearing loss. They suggest a fitting range of upto
120dB throughout the frequency range. As always, try before you buy.

can you please send me the details of the product
what is novel about it?

Hi Xbulder,

The main distinguishing features of the Naida devices are that they are water resistant (i.e they are sealed and their controls have rubber gaskets and I suspect they are also nano coated like most phonak aids). The primary feature relates to the SoundRecover feature, which is frequency compression rather than frequecny transposition. It differs in that frequencies below 1,5Khz are left intact, but higher frequencies are compressed in the available residual hearing above 1,5Khz leading to much better speech intelligibility. They have worked on this for 5 years and their research looks solid. They played sound samples of Severely impaired persons’ speech before and after and it made a noticable difference. It differs from the Inteo’s transposition in that Inteo simply mixes the inaudible ith the audible sounds creating distortion and little else. The Naida’s are also based on the CORE (wireless) platform allowing bluetooth (stereo unlike epoq’s bilateral mono) streaming. The Naida 5 also had quickync - (like e2e). Both the III and V have the new SoundFlow automatic program swithing which does not jump to a discreet porgram, but can blend adaptive features between different programs - effectively having unlimited automatic programs. They also both feature the new whistleBlock technology which is supposed to offer much more residual gain and no entrainment (the lecture did not explain whether it uses bilateral comparison to achieve this like in the Epoq’s). The windnoise Mx has also been improved wo allow windnoise reduction without gain reduction (again very little technical info provided as to how this is achieved). Both devices can be programmed wirelessly using the iCube device. Have a look at the Phonak Webchannel on AudiologyOnline and click on the recorded courses re New developments. Hope this helps

yes, i will check this week end… interesting… maybe they are on to something…
they have learned from inteo big flop…

do they have something like oticon my voice, and bianural feedback canceler?

Thank you Hearnow,

That’s what I needed to know.

It’s a pleasure to help Wanart :slight_smile:

Xbulder:
As far as i know neither Naida’s nor Exelia’s have a feature similar to myvoice. I must say I have not seen any evidence (anecdotaly nor research based) that it provides much benefit, apart from creating a marketing opportunity for Oticon (think voicefinder on the adapto). I suspect the feedback manager may be binaural, but will have to wait for the face to face launch on the 4th of March to ask technical details. They had a comparison with the latest competitor BTE device released (suspect it may have been the Epoq) and WhistleBlock delivered much more stable gain. I had only seen the recorded course and thus had no opportunity to ask questions.

Hearnow, this a very usefull review of the naida’s. Can you share simlar info for Exelias vs. Audeos? I have moderate to severe loss with very poor speech recognition especially in my right ear. My audi offered Audeos first but said the exelias will do as well. In his opinion the exelias fitting range is righ on the border for my loss, but he’s not worried about that. I personally like the fact that audeos are smaller and have that extra room in fittine range. However I hear that the exelias, as the naidas, have more advanced technology generally. I’m wondering what might be some other important differences in fearures, and specifically speech recognition, between the two models that might help me make up my mind. Can you help with info? Thanks!!