How much do you use your app (mainly aimed at Resound and Widex users)

I agree. It’s like having the right to vote, though. Just because everyone has the right to vote, doesn’t mean they have to.

If a 3 dB adjustment could make a difference, why shouldn’t the user have direct access to that 3 dB adjustment? Or why do Real Ear Measurements make a difference? So you’re off 6 dB. What the heck?! (Dr. Cliff in one of his videos, I believe, emphasizes the importance of as little as a 3 dB adjustment for Real Ear Measurements in a critical high frequency range).

So pushing it a bit for the user app, having an app that gives you that sort of control is (almost?!) like being able to do real ear measurement adjustments yourself. For example, with the ReSound app, I can crank bass, midtone, and treble frequencies independently up or down by up to 6 dB from my presets for whatever program I am in.

Perhaps what the app can do is like telecoil. You may never need it or want it but it’s there if you do. So maybe if you only use it once a month in a critical listening situation, it’s better than the “just works” philosophy where you’re up a creek without a paddle with a preset. I’d say the “it’s nice to have it there” philosophy also works the same for Remote Assist. My audi prefers not to use it since she’s not familiar with it but I want to have it available in case I need it someday somewhere.

0 Likes

Right. My audiologist affirms that she fits more Phonaks than any other brand because her clientele are largely older folks who don’t want to do anything but put them in and turn them on. And while there are exceptions most of those who want the ability to experiment with and adjust the sound are younger or tech/engineering people. And this place is overloaded with those types of folks.

3 Likes

I agree to this extent with @mdb. I think forum users are giving us a really distorted view of what the future for HA wearers in the U.S. looks like after OTC HA availability post August, 2020 (a little over a year away).

According to a recent Consumer Reports survey of 17,000 hearing aid wearers as to what’s important to them:

"Which Features Are Important?

In our survey, 53 percent of people who wear hearing aids said that rechargeable batteries were one of the most important features they looked for when purchasing a hearing aid. Smartphone capabilities or tinnitus masking was noted as most important by 43 percent, and 42 percent said automatic noise level adjustment was most important.

Forty-one percent said that the option of multiple program settings (which allows users to optimize aids for a variety of environments, such as quiet rooms or loud restaurants) was one of the most important features they looked for. Forty percent mentioned advanced microphone features, and 37 percent said wireless connectivity to other devices was most important."

The bold, italic emphasis is mine. So, yes, maybe forum members are not the typical HA wearer. And maybe forum members are not so good at prognosticating what the typical HA wearer wants (but then maybe 17,000 Consumer Reports readers/wearers don’t represent the typical HA wearer either?).

I think elderly wearers right now are almost the past. If you want to be in business as an HA OEM ten years from now, you have to successfully gauge where the field is going.

I think another thing to keep in mind is not to treat HA’s as something just made for the USA. HA’s are made for the world and in some respects such as the Internet, the good ol’ USA is behind the most advanced segments of the world. For example, in China, few people use cash or credit cards these days. Most people pay with their smartphones, according to a recent segment on APM’s Marketplace with Kai Ryssdal.

It’ll be interesting to see how thing shake out when the OTC revolution comes along (hopefully) and users become accustomed to programming their HA’s themselves from the git-go and will probably want the same amount of control still on their smartphone through the app any time they feel the urge.

So maybe we should stop talking about the past and start anticipating the future?!

0 Likes

I’m reading all these posts and wondering why folks are so happy with the app. I find it not helpful and I think it’s due to Costco rep setting it up wrong. I don’t hear conversations as well as I hear crackling paper or distant birds. I don’t get text sounds from my HAs. I don’t hear phone calls after I remove the HAs because the program stays connected to the hearing aids even after they are in the case with batteries removed!

I also get feedback (hissing) if I turn up volume to try to hear conversations better. I’ve tried restaurant mode etc. I’m very technical. If there was a technical manual that would tell me all the secrets I could probably fix the problems myself. Any advice welcome.

0 Likes

You don’t give a lot of info. I’m assuming Resound phone? (based on Title of thread and fact that Costco doesn’t carry Widex). What phone? Audiology online offers lots of courses for free. (The $99 fee is only if you want CE credit) For details on what the programming software can do, see PVC’s DIY section. If indeed you do have a Costco Resound, self programming is out as aids are locked to Costco software. (Not true for other Costco brands)
The crackling paper and distant birds is a consequence of hearing high pitched sounds you haven’t heard in awhile. Give it time.

0 Likes

I am a Widex Evoke user and use the app at minimum twice-daily to choose a streaming program that I’ve created based off of the Music program but that also silences outside mics and boosts mid range and treble settings. There is no way to automatically silence the outside mics within the fitting program; one can only do so within the app either manually or within a custom setting called “favorite”.

I also use the app maybe once every three weeks or so to invoke the SoundSense Learn feature and “dial-in” a better sound than I’m getting based on the HAs auto program. For the most part, though, the auto “Universal” program does a great job. It’s just sometimes that I know I can get something (maybe a bit better), and I’m particular enough (and curious enough) to want to try.

Chris

2 Likes

I use Samsung Pay because it works with all devices, even the old fashioned swipe only devices. You can put all your cards in it and even gift cards. There is a pin and it uses the one-time code, so it is the safest way to go. I get a little uncomfortable now if I have to pay with an actual plastic card in a restaurant and the card leaves my sight. Olive Garden has table-side kiosks now which I appreciate.

2 Likes

I found Chili’s has the table-side “kiosks” - or actually tablet displays, whose main function is to be an entertainment device for kids, I think. It was neat to be able to pay the bill at Chili’s but our waiter had to call in a compadre to set it up and it took forever!

Another thought on using an app or not is that even if you’d prefer just to use button presses on your HA (if you can remember them all as you age!), having an app could be used to reconfigure what a button does if you want different functionality available on your buttons for different circumstances.

I am just being “difficult” with MDB and Mark. I will readily concede that a lot of folks might not want to have to deal with any app and just would like a worry-free HA (and maybe caregivers feel the same - and I’m sure very elderly folks will always be frail and feeble and need a lot of tending to by others and unable to manage buttons or apps very well by themselves). I just think that it enhances the value of an HA if you have a great app with great control to go with it if you want it and if you don’t want it or need it, the HA should be good enough to get by well enough without it.

1 Like

Any thoughts on the feedback? (Hissing)

0 Likes

Hissing doesn’t sound like feedback to me. I’d guess hearing aid floor noise without more info.

1 Like

I’ve had these aids for four months now. I’m hoping to find a way to either make them work or change them. I was in the back seat of a car and could not hear the conversation in the front. If they crumpled up paper I could hear that fine. No amount of adjustment seemed to matter.

0 Likes

As mentioned above, you don’t provide much (any?) info. We might be able to offer suggestions if we had some info. Your other option is to go back to your provider (try to provide specific problems) or return them and try something else.

0 Likes

That back seat of a car (even modern quiet luxury autos) is my worst case for hearing, even more so than with friends in a noisy restaurant. With my Costco ReSound Forte 8 (LINX 3D) I cannot find an Smart 3D app adjustment that works. I have discussed it with my HIS fitter and found no good suggestion, even from calling ReSound support. Back to the saying, “hearing loss can be improved, but not restored”.

1 Like

Why not add your audiogram to your avatar as almost all of the rest of us have? That helps other more knowledgeable folks than me provide advice how hard it might be to improve your hearing.

Have you watched any of the Dr. Cliff, AuD’s videos on speech in noise and remote microphones. There is a limit to how far HA’s can go to detecting speech in noise depending on the relative dB of the speech vs. noise and the hearing ability of the person with the loss. There is even the inability of some people with seemingly normal audiograms to detect speech when noise is present vs. when it is not.

0 Likes

BTW, there is this tech news article today:

The APM Marketplace segment said that in China, credit cards (which are what Samsung Pay uses) are bypassed entirely and apps are used that allowed the payers to directly debit their bank accounts (if I heard right) - kinda more like debit cards than credit cards.

I’m a Samsung Pay user, too. On my Samsung Gear S3 Frontier watch. But cashless/“cardless” paying is a relative rarity so far in the U.S. The Marketplace segment on NPR said it’s the NORM, high and low in China. A taxicab driver was quoted as saying that he loved the system as then he didn’t have to carry cash and make change, etc.

Relative to the point of this thread, though, in a world where the user is constantly accessing a wearable device or phone to reference daily transactions, consulting an app that allows one to control and get feedback on the use of an HA is just a natural auxiliary function of device usage. One thing that current user apps don’t do that I think would make an app more useful is the sort of data logging that one gets in fitting software, at least the ReSound Smart Fit, where one can see the amount of time one is spending in different programs, the relative volume one is using, what sort of directionality is being employed, etc. Would be nice if the app could report to the user how much “environment-switching” is going on, etc., and maybe even recommend to the user adjustments that they might want the provider to make. Right now the HA OEM’s keep it all at the level of black magic pretty much for the user and the provider gets to know all the good stuff about what the HA’s are doing and how things can be twiddled. I’m all for the user at least getting more insight to that through a phone app if not being allowed more control of the HA’s themselves within safe bounds, too.

0 Likes

I understand. It’s frustrating but nothing is guaranteed in this life🤗

1 Like

I use my Widex Evoke App almost every day. Predominantly, I use it to fine tune my aids via SoundSense Learn. It helps a lot in complex environments. Also, I check overall loudness with it when I feel I messed up my loudness via hardware button. And occasionally, I use the equalizer to quickly improve the sound - I know which sounds are in bass, treble and mids, so it’s easy for me now. But I had to learn how does it change overall sound, of course.

2 Likes

I used to wear Widex Dream. I didn’t have an app, but found I rarely use the com-dex that came with them. I had 2 pair of Resound MFI–I mainly used the app to reduce wind noise when I was outside. I’m on my first pair of Phonak Audeo Ms (rechargeable). I use the app periodically through the day to see what my battery life is. They do so much automatically that I don’t find the need to adjust anything as a rule.

0 Likes

Thanks. Will look into this.

0 Likes

I wear ReSound Cala8s from Costco–about 18 months old. I use the iPhone’s (8) built-in hearing aid Accessibility Shortcut constantly during the day to change programs, mic volumes etc. and also to turn on and off Live Listen, a handy iPhone funtion. I find it much easier than the ReSound app, altho the latter can do different things.

0 Likes