How much do you use your app (mainly aimed at Resound and Widex users)

It’s been my experience that a hearing aid app is a fun toy for awhile and then becomes ignored. However I have not used aids that have strong apps like Resound and Widex. How many Resound and Widex users still use their app regularly and for how long have you had your aids.

Widex, just around 6 months so far. App is used daily but depends on situation or what I’m up to. Often for SoundSense or changing EQ settings, selecting previously saved favourites etc. If it helps, I don’t foresee a time where the app isn’t used daily.

ReSound Forte 8, six month next week. I have an iPhone and Apple watch. I use the ReSound Smart 3D app numerous times a day, 90% of the time from my watch, incredibly quick and convenient, even in pouring rain! Since I listen to music at home, I switch to the Music program from All-Around where aids are when first turned on. Watching TV via speakers (no TV streamer) is best in All-Around.

When I leave home I switch back to All-Around. If I am outside with a lot of noise, then the Outdoor program, if it is quiet like in open space hiking, then All-Around gives me more nature sounds.

My Costco HIS fitter changed the Restaurant program to Mute the aids (I wanted a way to mute/unmute aids from HA buttons or watch), since I like that on public transportation, or sitting outside a coffee shop reading with people, cars, etc. around. I stream music while reading and just Mute the aids to lessen distractions. Trial and error showed me that Outdoor is as effective as Restaurant for my use.

I’m a full blown techno-weenie, so I love all my gadgets. Hence I use the watch / phone apps many times daily, and sometimes the HA buttons (right volume, left programs).

ReSound Fortes. I don’t use the app as often as I did during the first few weeks, admittedly, but I almost always use it in restaurants. I’ve had my aids for six months

I use it often. Usually for music or complex environments.

I use smart 3D daily – changing aggressiveness of cutting out background noise, adjusting mids/highs to get better speech clarity, also use the favorites feature which is surprisingly helpful/accurate when I arrive at a location that has a consistently specific hearing need.

Nice update to avatar! (but do one with a nice smile!). The convenience of the watch is almost enough to make me want to me an iPhone user (along with MFI streaming).

The beauty and sophistication of the ReSound Smart 3D app was one of the major reasons that I got ReSound Quattro’s rather than any of the other major brands (don’t know that I tried the Widex app). But the other apps from Oticon and Phonak paled in comparison and turned me off to those brands (probably for no good reason).

I’ve only been an HA user 3 months. I use the app a number of times during the day and find it very useful. I use it to check state of charging and make sure I’ve turned my HA’s off when I go to sleep, especially because I’m becoming increasingly forgetful in my old age (did I just turn my left HA off or not!??). I usually use the default settings ReSound has picked for the All-Around program but when my soft-spoken wife is around, I hit the Speech Clarity preset that helps me with listening to her as it ups the midtones and treble.

I stream one to two hours per day listening to audio “talk show” podcasts in noisy environments while I exercise while wearing over-the-ear noise canceling headphones. I use the app to change to the Outdoor program and depending on how noisy it is, may throw in the Speech Clarity quickset for the Outdoor program on top of that to help better understand with the most extreme noise still leaking a bit through everything to my ear drums.

I think the ultimate form of app control for HA’s would be to have an Alexa-like AI assistant built-in. Because you wouldn’t want to seem to be talking to yourself many times in many places, one would still want a watch or phone app as an alternative. But it would be great just to be able to say “Volume down 3” or “Outdoor program, Speech Clarity” and have the HA’s do their thing without having to reach for or look at anything.

The smoothness and sophistication of the ReSound Smart 3D app, the Smart Fit fitting software, and the effort and thought that ReSound has put into its Audiology Online courses, as well as the quality of the Quattro’s themselves, basically make me very happy that I decided to go with ReSound rather than wait for the Next Big Thing. Thanks to Bryan(@Bryan9) and Tim (@teejayess) for their excellent in-depth reviews of the Forte’s as that convinced me, along with the app, that ReSound would be a good choice amongst the many great choices there are out there from all the different OEM’s.

Resound Quattros here, 2 months. Previous HA’s had app. This one is better but has advantage of 4.5 years of development. I use the app several times a day. Have several “favorites”. Have a streamer connected to my computer and another one for TV. Also have a Multi Mic II that I use for Telecoil. Use the app to switch stuff, I am a klutz with the push buttons.
Lou

Widex Beyond 440 for a couple years now. I use the app only to install the very rare firmware updates. Other than that, never.

Thanks. This is interesting to me and I hope to others. If there are other users with other brands that you’ve been using their apps regularly for awhile, do feel free to join in. Seems like this is area where some research would be beneficial. My gut says that the vast majority of users just want their aids “to work” and I think that’s the approach Phonak and Oticon take (however they (especially Phonak) are still having issues with implementing connectivity) Hopefully market remains competititve enough to offer different technologies to different people. And do keep comments coming. I’m definitely still interested.

The thing about the latest Resound and Widex apps is they allow the users to do things that were previously unavailable. I rarely used the Alta2 app as it didn’t really do anything but change volume and programs. Widex is an entirely different animal that I find extremely valuable.

My wife and I are elderly and she has Linx 3D and the Smart app. She finds it particularly useful as due to age and reduced dexterity she has difficulty operating the HA switches while wearing the aid. She is not technically minded but manages to use the app every day, switching between standard programmes, the multi mic I wear for her benefit, and the TV Streamer. Her only complaint is she has to reboot her iphone quite often in order for the HA to stay connected. Possibly due to age of iphone 6+.

Mark, Certainly my impression that Resound and Widex (and maybe recent Starkey–although we don’t have many Starkey users) apps are in a different league. Thanks for confirming.

Is the firmware up to date on her aids?

With my Kirkland Signature 6 (Resound Linx) aids I started having issues with iPhone 6 connectivity after a phone update. Updating the Hearing Aid firmware resolved those issues.

Thanks prodigyplace that might be the problem however can’t check firmware version till I get the audiologist to do it. I do self programme my own aids (Linx 2) and there is a firmware check within the software but can’t find a similar check in the Smart Fit Software.

I’ve had my KS6’s for close to 3 years (20+ year HA user). I use the Resound app on my iPhone 7+ primarily to manage Bluetooth connections to my PC (for conference calls & music) and for TV. Once connected, the volume control is invaluable. Admittedly, I haven’t played much with bass/treble control & saving favorites. I’m sold on the features I do use and wouldn’t consider a non MFi hearing aid & app in the foreseeable future.

While that’s certainly true probably even for Widex and ReSound users, the “AI” in the firmware for all HA’s, I suspect, is not good enough to “just work” all the time. Don’t know about the other brands but in the ReSound fitting software, the choices you can preset for up to seven different listening environments are very fixed, cookie cutter choices. So the ReSound app (and probably the Widex app) greatly expand the combination of choices that you can make and with the GPS-based favorites feature, you can automatically have a particular combination you chose come back on when you’re back at a particular location (or you can just create a manually activated FAVORITE). The other thing about the “just works” choices, if you don’t like the way it “just works” you have to make a trip to your provider to get it changed. With the ReSound and probably the Widex app, you can change the way it “just works.” So basically the Widex and ReSound approach is through their apps put more power in the hands of the users. Maybe the OEM’s for the other brands are more concerned about guaranteeing the livelihood of the providers and promoting the “just works” religion as a result? (just trying to be pointed to hit up that the “just works” philosophy is more a faith than an actuality, IMHO, given the complexity of real world sound environments and the pathetic limits of HA processors, say, compared to the most recent ARM chips for example). We’re basically stuck with wearing devices that have no better than '90’s cpu’s in them because of battery and heat limitations. Ideally in the future talking to a phone app and off-loading processing there could give you more “intelligence” - so if we’re looking to the future, we might want more phone app input to the HA’s - and yes, maybe with a really powerful procesor overseeing things, it could “just work.”

I think the forum gives us a really distorted view of what the typical hearing aid user is like. Not claiming my Mom is typical, but her Phonak Audeo B50s are set up with just the automatic program and no volume control. She’s fine with them and her only problem has been clogging the wax filters. When that happens she tells me they aren’t working and I change a wax filter. She listens to the TV without blasting everybody else out of the house and our vocal cords aren’t strained because we have to yell out her. From her perspective, they just work.

I agree. It’s like having the right to vote, though. Just because everyone has the right to vote, doesn’t mean they have to.

If a 3 dB adjustment could make a difference, why shouldn’t the user have direct access to that 3 dB adjustment? Or why do Real Ear Measurements make a difference? So you’re off 6 dB. What the heck?! (Dr. Cliff in one of his videos, I believe, emphasizes the importance of as little as a 3 dB adjustment for Real Ear Measurements in a critical high frequency range).

So pushing it a bit for the user app, having an app that gives you that sort of control is (almost?!) like being able to do real ear measurement adjustments yourself. For example, with the ReSound app, I can crank bass, midtone, and treble frequencies independently up or down by up to 6 dB from my presets for whatever program I am in.

Perhaps what the app can do is like telecoil. You may never need it or want it but it’s there if you do. So maybe if you only use it once a month in a critical listening situation, it’s better than the “just works” philosophy where you’re up a creek without a paddle with a preset. I’d say the “it’s nice to have it there” philosophy also works the same for Remote Assist. My audi prefers not to use it since she’s not familiar with it but I want to have it available in case I need it someday somewhere.

Right. My audiologist affirms that she fits more Phonaks than any other brand because her clientele are largely older folks who don’t want to do anything but put them in and turn them on. And while there are exceptions most of those who want the ability to experiment with and adjust the sound are younger or tech/engineering people. And this place is overloaded with those types of folks.