How much did you pay for Widex Evoke Fusion 2 440 rechargeable?

After spending $8k on My very first pair of hearing aids from my audiologist back in 2016, I have a gut feeling the same audiologist is trying to screw me over $$, again. I did some research back then, after a few friends were shocked at the price I paid, and found she had charged me more than DOUBLE the retail price (they retailed for $3,299 for both ears)

Now, she’s claiming that she’s not only being totally fair, but that she’s giving me a super-special “Family & Friends” discount through Widex, of which she only gets three per year. So, she’s willing to “sacrifice” and sell me this new pair of Widex Evoke 440 Fusion 2s, with rechargeable batteries and battery doors, the charger/dehydrator, and a device to connect it to my TV (digitally - its Widex’s new version of the TV-Dex), for only $7,500.

Is $7,500 for these, a rip-off? And, I have profound hearing loss with the majority of my issue being an inability to hear someone’s voice clearly over the TV, or in a loud or crowded environment. She’s swearing up and down this is the best of the best hearing aid for me. But, I don’t trust her. Thankfully, money isn’t an issue. I’ll pay what I need to pay to have the best hearing aids available. Thank you in advance for any information you may have for me!

Have you checked the local deals option from this site? I see several offers for the HAs at $4200 fitted etc. claiming that’s 37% off, no mention of accessories. Do you have an itemized breakdown of the offer? Hard to imagine that much in add-ons!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum,

The best hearing aids are the ones fitted correctly and you wear every day.

If you could spend some time reading this forum you will find answers to your questions.

The prices you have mentioned sound high to me. High pressure hearing aid sales is sure a turn off. Do you have other places to buy or trial different hearing aids? Are you anywhere near a Costco?

You have come to great place to learn about hearing aids and your hearing loss.

Good luck

1 Like

You may want to stop by a Costco and price some aids there. Widex are certainly good hearing aids, but those made by the others in the big six group are very good too. They are much more similar than different. Costco sells Phonak (including the KS9 for $1500 a pair), ReSound, Rexton (like Signia), and Phillips.

1 Like

Yes, I took a look at the sale prices. I’m pretty sure I’ll go with one of those providers. Thank you!

There are several things that can cause hearing aid prices to vary. Region and cost of living/administration costs for the practice are one. Then, the pricing the provider is able to obtain from a manufacturer. If they do a large amount of business with one particular hearing aid company, they may be able to negotiate better pricing, than from a manufacturer whom they only order one or two sets a year. Sometimes practices got financing from a manufacturer, and to pay back their loan, they cost of goods on devices is higher. Some practices also bundle their costs, meaning you’re not only paying for the device, but for follow-up visits as well. Practices that unbundle may have a lower price up front, but you may pay for each office visit. Some important questions to ask before purchasing hearing aids: 1) What is the education level of my provi wder? 2) Is my provider following evidence based practice and performing best practice guidelines like performing Real-Ear Measurements and speech-in-noise testing? 3) Is my provider’s practice manufacturer owned, or independent? 4) Do they fit more than one brand of hearing aids? 5) Are they bundled or unbundled? And can they provide me with an itemized receipt for goods and services? 6) Are the hearing aids they’re providing “locked”, or can they be taken anywhere to be programmed? 7) Is my provider in good standing with their state licensing board? With the Better Business Bureau? What about their online reviews?
These are all things to consider. Good luck to you!
If you want to find providers who are committed to following best practice guidelines in your area, consider using the Dr. Cliff Provider Network. Obviously these folks are not the only ones who follow best practice guidelines, but it can save you time and energy in searching: Find a Hearing Healthcare Provider | Dr Cliff AuD

1 Like

UPDATE: I wanted to update this, in order to help others in the future who may read this thread through the search function. I ended up finding a brand new pair of Widex Evoke 440 Fusion 2 rechargeable for $3200 (total) on eBay. I made an appt. with my audiologist to bring them in to her for programming, and she was shocked I’d bought a pair online. She tried the line of: “these are medical devices” and I cut her off and said, “Yes, just like glasses. There’s available online too, without a current prescription.” She gave me a strange look, but stopped the “sales pitch” immediately. She agreed to service my new hearing aids for a per-appointment cost of $200 for initial programming, and $100 for each appt. after (as needed).

Remember, she quoted me $7,500. She ended up raising that to $7,800 at the start of my appointment before I told her I had already purchased them on my own and had them with me.

At the end of the appointment, she said she wished I had spoken with her about the price before I went online and bought them myself, because she would have cut her total package price (inc. appointments, and the Widex TV Bluetooth connecting device) to $5,500, maybe even lower. I told her, next time.

I HATE dealing with audiologists. They truly are like car salespeople. The pressure and much-too-high pricing is ridiculous, especially when it’s a medical issue being handled by a medical professional. But, at least now I know hearing aid prices are clearly negotiable, just like buying a car I suppose. Anyway, that’s all. Hope this information helps someone in the future. Always look up the retail price of a particular hearing aid, before paying your audiologist for HAs. That’s what saved me so much money this time around. Her initial quote of $7,500 was at least $1k higher than full retail price, even though she was trying to convince me she was giving me a “family and friends” discount of which she could only do three of a year, through Widex (that was probably an outright lie). I hope everyone has an easier time than I did! Take care, everyone and I hope you have a great 2020.

2 Likes

$7500-7800 seem crazy high. Woah.

Next time around I would have a look at the Costco options if you have one nearby. will work out much cheaper for you and their devices are generally current tech with some feature disablement i.e tinnitus masker (however is not something that gets used very often in fittings anyhow) I do worry that you will run into issues once the one year international warranty runs out on your devices. If they need to be sent off after the international warranty runs out I’m guessing they will needed to be posted iternationally and if your clinician decides this is too hard for them to do you may need to do this yourself and through the actual ebay seller who you purchased them from? I would image this would be a pretty long process so would then mean you’re without your devices for a few weeks. Anyhow, I hope it all works out for you but time will tell. Widex make good devices and they have a nice natural sound, but arguably they are no better or worse than any of the other manufacturers premium offerings in terms of actual benefit. If anything, Widex’s poor feeddback management compared to other brands would actually lean me away from recommending them to someone with a profound loss if there were other brands to choose from.

Hey asagegirl
Your Audi is not that forthcoming, and her prices sound way out of line!
Widex has just upgraded their Widex Evoke 440 Fusion 2 line and it is now called ERB2D.
I just purchased them and they are excellent!
And as for MFAUD’s comment “Widex’s poor feeddback management” well they cleaned that up in this latest iteration. For example when I take short rides on my bicycle I no longer get feedback whistling (by contrast my previous Fusion 2 440’s had constant whistling).
So please do your homework next time and if as you say money is no problem then take advantage of most 30 day return policies and return the used 440’s you purchased and try to find a competitive Audi that can provide you with Widex’s latest ERB2D
Good luck!

1 Like

I’ve been just quoted a whopping 6K EUR for a pair of Evoke RIC 312D (or ERB2D, as NeilT says). This is a bundle including TV Play, follow up visits for 5Y, 3Y warranty, but it’s still too high for me so I’m negotiating.

Given my loss I still have some feedback issue with them but hopefully it will be straightened out by new molds.

Maybe the addition of new mics from Signia helped on the new F2 D model.

HearSource.com has them for $1799 each (Pair = $3598), they also offer lifetime remote adjustment services. Yes. $7500 is a ripoff. Frankly most people would say $3500 was a ripoff too. But you’re buying a Cadillac El Dorado, not a Ford Pinto.