How long should hearing aid moulds last?

Yeah @LRav, I am similar to you with sensitive ears, my hypoallergenic moulds are silicone, with I believe a nano coating to prevent my allergic reaction to the silicone…. My previous set of moulds did not fit correctly, and I was in a lot of pain, Boots took them back on the premise that they would replace them, they didn’t replace them, but said they did, they rubbed them down…… I pointed out to the AuD, the red ink marker stain was still there, to pinpoint where the offending moulds were too large, and although I never thought about this at the time, by rubbing down the moulds, they would have removed some of the hypoallergenic nano coating, and subsequently my ear canals would swell up internally, I couldn’t understand at the time, why some days my ears would be so swollen, I couldn’t get the mounds in, and I would have severe difficulty getting them out… I would leave them out for a few days, then put them back in, obviously the swelling had abated, the the feedback would start until my ears swelled up again… It wasn’t until I was talking to another AuD, when I questioned them on hypoallergenic moulds, he told me about the nano coating, I thought the whole mould was hypoallergenic, it then dawned on me why I was having these of problems for months, they had rubbed some of the coating away! Subsequently, my appreciation for, “Boots Hearing Care”, has greatly diminished, they appear to put profit above their care for their clients, their AuD is an excellent practitioner, but their duty of care leaves a lot to be desired…… Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

This makes me a bit angry. Sorry you went through that. If they knew you were allergic to it, I’d say it was malpractice.

WH

1 Like

Sorry to hear you went through that

1 Like

Thank you @WhiteHat & @LRav, and yes they were aware I was allergic, I always request hypoallergenic mounds, I have done so for many years…… But, we all have degrees in hindsight, and I would be reluctant to order aids from “Boots Hearing Care” again? In truth, having a profound loss, I am probably less than 1% of their client base, so I think they would rather have the, “Mild/Moderate/Severe” clients, as maybe the “Profound”, leech into their profit margins? Although, perhaps their Audiologist probably enjoy that challenge, because we are different from the run of the mill clientele? Boots Hearing Care, are a subsidiary of Sonova, aka Phonak, whom would appear to be sadly only interested in profit, but I suppose that is an indictment of the whole hearing industry…. Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

I have a pair of Phonak Naida III that are near perfect and they’re 11 years old.

2 Likes

I’ve had earmolds that just were made sloppy. It happens. Nows the time to get them remade if you’re concerned. A year later it probably wouldn’t be a fair request

@kevels55

With my Phonak V70, I can read my hearing aids and save to my laptop and it not mess with the Datalogging on the Aids, if I un click the Aids when I close the software.

I wonder if you could read your M70 to see if you can match them to your P90?

Sometimes I’ve gone to writing down all the numbers for the G numbers on paper to transfer over to the other Aids. Takes ages to set each number but that way, you’ll be able to wear your P90 and gain more from them, like you do with your M70.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you @Zebras for that info, at some point I will give it a go… Or, I may ask an AuD whom has been helpful to me in the past, with various stuff? Either way, I hope to be able to transfer those settings, I am awaiting confirmation of an appointment with the private AuD, so I will wait till after that, and then attempt to transfer the M70 settings…. Cheers Kev👍

Well Zebras, your slight prodding, got me thinking, and I just thought, to hell with it, and fired up Target 7.2 :upside_down_face: Truthfully, it was a very simple process, well simple enough for my pee sized brain :rofl: Anyways, started a new client, and saved the settings on M70, 2nd session, changed to P90’s, unchecked factory reset, and Bobs your uncle, Target did it all its self, looked to see if it was my new audiogram, and it was… First impressions, much quieter the M70’s, will hopefully be able to access over the next few days… Cheers Kev :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Congratulations! I didn’t realize you were a diy-er.

WH

1 Like

@kevels55

I don’t think you’ll be able to actually select the M70 and then P90 to be the same as they are different Aids. I think you’ll have to manually change each G number separately which might take a long time but will be well worth it.

1 Like

Hi @Zebras, excuse my ignorance please, but what exactly is the “G number”? Thank you for any assistance, as this isn’t a term that I am familiar with :upside_down_face: Cheers Kev :wink:

@kevels55

I’ve marked it on the picture.

I’ve got two sets of different types of Phonak Aids and I had to manually lower or raise each number to be the same as the settings that I liked. Took hours but well worth it as it meant both set of Aids, despite one being older, sounded the same.

Thank you @Zebras, I am much obliged :grin: I will have a look at some point, perhaps tomorrow? Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

After a fashion WH, I dabble :upside_down_face: been dabbling for 9 years or so, occasionally I get it right, sometimes not, but Target is very forgiving as you can always revert back to your AuD’s settings…. Cheers Kev :wink:

@kevels55

Just found out you can export the settings from your M70 and then import the settings to your P90.

Hopefully that’ll save you time and give you the same results. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Thank you @Zebras, I will try that and see how it goes…. Cheers Kev :wink:

Yes, but the settings never seem to be exact, like you said earlier, you sometimes have to make further adjustments, it’s not just Phonak target either,other manufacturers software as well, as you say, going from one version or platform to another seems to have a conflict in the import/export feature.
I’ve always wondered if there was a way to counter this.
Will be interesting what @kevels55 reports back.

@kevels55

I have Phonak Sky V70 SP Aids from the NHS and I have a Phonak Sky B90 M Aid that I use at night to listen to the radio.

Despite my high frequencies being way too bad for the B90 M Aid, it actually gives me more high frequency gain then the V70 SP does on my right ear. That’s with the same fitting formula and same venting being selected.

Makes no sense really and may explain why some hearing aids give a better fit despite being the same brand.

My hearing loss fits well in to the V70 SP Aids but doesn’t with the B90 M Aid.

I noticed this all today and wondered whether this is why you see a difference in your P90 UP and M70 SP.

EDIT - when I say the B90 M Aid gives me more high frequency gain. I mean it’s what the software recommends for that fitting formula. It’s about 15 dab difference between the two Aids despite selecting the same fitting formula for both Aids.

Yeah @Zebras, i was thinking along the same lines? Transferred all the settings over from M70 to P90 aids, you just select fittings/transfer from session/select session/ import from that session, and target does its stuff… Cheers Kev :wink: