How long before you get used to them?

Hi folks. I’m a newbie - on this forum as well as with hearing aids. I got a pair of what’s supposed to be top-of-the-line tiny Widex hearing aids, and they’re being adjusted once a week till I’m happy with the sound, and all that’s well and good…

BUT I’VE GOT SOMETHING IN MY EAR ALL THE TIME! And that just sucks.

How long will it take for me to get used to them, do you think?

Thanks!

–Ed

edsikov,
I can assure you that you will get to the point of not noticing them.
I’ve had mine for 15 years and don’t feel them anymore.
It is impossible to predict another persons response to this change.
As long as the hardware is not actually causing irritation to your ear, the transition should be very quick. If you are removing them during the day, I would try to not do that. Just make your ear suck it up and stop complaining. :slight_smile:

I'm getting new aids at the end of October, so I'll have a new arrangement (behind the ear with receiver in the ear) to get used to.

Good luck with this new reality,
TerryB

I bought one CIC style (Completely-in-Canal) in April of 2009 and I can’t feel it in there at all. I bought a CIC style for the other ear recently and was getting used to it and we had to have the case remade and just got it back last week so I’m starting over with the process of getting used to it, but it’s not bad at this point, although, yeah, there is something in my ear. You really do get used to it fairly quickly. It becomes the new “normal” and it will feel funny to take it out at night. I can’t wait to get them back in when I get up in the morning.

The sound part can be a completely different process of getting used to it. Last year when I got my first one I was shocked at how things sounded (clanking dishes was the worst) but now everything sounds crystal clear and I didn’t go back for even one adjustment (I didn’t know you were supposed to). I’m going through the adjustment process now on the new one.

Some audiologists don’t crank them up all the way at first to give you time to get used to them, so your mileage may vary.

Don

Just a word of caution … don’t forget to take them out before taking a shower. That can kill the aids … and YES, you will get that used to them. :smiley:

Thanks, folks!

TerryB: Yeah, I’m a whiner. Always have been. See no need to change. I’m 53 - a middle aged dog who digs his paws in and refuses to budge. Gotta get over that with this hearing aid business.

Don: Well, in fact, I do take them out at the earliest opportunity. So I guess I shouldn’t do that, huh? Thing is, I’m a writer, and the keyboard now sounds like a machine gun. It’s really distracting, and I can’t think with that racket going on. But I’ll try - I promise! As for the “new normal,” I’m used to that by this point. I have Parkinson’s disease, and it has become - after a 2 year fight - the new normal. I’ve accepted it, and I’ll eventually accept the hearing aids too.

Neilk: I know, I know. I am now taking them out at the gym before showering - I bring the case with me - and I’m starting to swim again (for the PD), and I never forget to take them out before getting in the pool. But just watch - a year from now I’ll be posting on here: “How do you remember that you’re wearing them when you go swimming?”

Thanks again,
–Ed

Edsikov,
I take mine out from time to time just to cut the high frequency inputs from the office surroundings. It “calms things down” a lot. There’s not anything that the aids enhance to discomfort except things like fire alarms or baby scream that drives everybody else to cover their ears too. If the keyboard continues to be a problem, then there needs to be a tweak made because that’s not proper.

Good Luck,
TerryB

Until I got my first aid last year I had no idea my keyboard actually clicked. I guess I got used to that too because I don’t notice it now.

It can take weeks, months, even years.
Depends how often you use them, if you feel comfortable, if they really help you, the psychological factor etc.

Hyperion: 1st, you’re named after my old publisher. Great! Next: it really is taking its own time. I was in a loud, clattering restaurant last night, and heard everything behind me clearly - it was just my tablemates’ speech I couldn’t make out. The whole thing is like a lesson in film sound production (I’m a retired film teacher and active writer): everyone in a given room, and every object in the room, is specifically mike’d - everyone comes in at the same level. There’s no sound mixing, no sound manipulation, no artistic manipulation at all. It’s just raw, loud sound, and today at an airport terminal by the time I got on the plane and had a chance to take them out my ears were ringing.
I’m getting a little down and frustrated, to tell y’all the truth.

It certainly sounds like you aids need tuning work. Having things behind you blot out the speaking voice you are trying to hear in front of you is very wrong. I can’t comment on the ear ringing since mine have been ringing since 1972.:eek:

Good Luck on getting things corrected,
TerryB

Assuming that you are wearing the aids on a regular basis, and assuming that you are not feeling any pain or getting feedback, the feeling should go away pretty quickly. It should not take months or God forbid years to adjust to the to the feeling of the aid in your ears. I use a product called miracell which make it easier to slide the aids in, and after a couple of minutes I pretty much forget that they are there. If you push the aids in when dry it will probably take longer to adjust and the full feeling will be more obvious. Also slide the aids in and out slightly to make sure you haven’t trapped any air which would also add to the full feeling.

Hi gang - it’s been more than a few weeks now, the hearing aids have been tuned up/adjusted so that they’re much more effective for conversation and less annoying for ambient noise, though the sound that comes through them is like un-mixed film sound, if any of you happen to be film types. In other words, there’s no difference between the person next to me on the bus, the person three rows behind, and the people in the front - it’s all on one level.

This is kind of disconcerting, but I’m getting used to it.

I still take them out when I work. I don’t like hearing “normally” when I’m writing - it’s too distracting.

And I haven’t yet wandered into the shower or the Y’s swimming pool with them on yet!

Thanks again for all your comments and suggestions. It really helps me to hear other people’s experiences. You folks are the greatest!

–Ed